Next St Mirren Manager

I actually agree with WhyDoWeBother. I don't think the drop would be the end of the world at all. Of course, our last two relegations have seen us flirt with oblivion, so our record in that respect isn't great, but aside from the cup winning seasons, most people's favourite seasons of the past 30 years would be the D1 championship years.

If our board is confident our balance sheet can handle the drop for a couple of years, and as long as they put a guy in charge who can deliver fast-paced, entertaining, attacking football and a team that challenges at the right end of the league, I don't think relegation would be a disaster.

People worry about the squad we'd have in D1. I'd suggest that, aside from maybe last year's squad, the best team we've had, by some distance, in recent years was the D1-winning team of 2006, with Sutton, Adam, Lappin etc.

All things being equal, I'd rather we were fighting for a European slot. But we've not done that via the league for over 30 years. If relegation doesn't mean financial oblivion, what are people worried about?

Relegation would be terrible for the club. The first division is a hard division to get out of. I don't want to watch another 10 years of going to central park,palmerston,Starks park to name a few.

Crowds would fall the squad would be dismantled for peanuts. People would loose their jobs players and staff through out the club.

The money from tv would be dramatically cut.

Hamilton falkirk dunfermline Livingstone have all struggled after relegation why would we be any different?.

Patick have just come up how long were they down for? What did there crowds fall too?.

I agree the 1st division champ wins were up there with the cup in my opinion!. But the hurt of relegation is far to great to go 5-10 years till it happens again.

Relegation would be terrible for the club. The first division is a hard division to get out of. I don't want to watch another 10 years of going to central park,palmerston,Starks park to name a few.

Crowds would fall the squad would be dismantled for peanuts. People would loose their jobs players and staff through out the club.

Hamilton falkirk dunfermline Livingstone have all struggled after relegation why would we be any different?.

Patick have just come up how long were they down for? What did there crowds fall too?.

I agree the 1st division champ wins were up there with the cup in my opinion!. But the hurt of relegation is far to great to go 5-10 years till it happens again.

I don't fear relegation as i wid happily follow my team anywhere.

The only problem, as Scottd correctly stated a couple of years ago, it wid be very difficult to win the Scottish Cup or League Cup if we weren't competing in the top league.

Anyway, Danny Legend will keep us up.

Sorry, but if Saints were relegated there would be sweeping changes across the whole club to ensure that the club stay out of debt.

I'm sure the BoD have stated before that St Mirren players have a "relegation" clause to allow contracts to be terminated/adjusted.

Relegation from the top league would set the club back. The BoD know that. We as fans know that. To think otherwise is just plain daft regardless of parachute payments, play-off places and derby matches against the Ton.

When you add up the loss of TV revenues, commercial sponsorship, gate money, Champions league bonus payments when Celtic qualify, it is a very significant shortfall and the BoD do not wish to go down that route.

I agree that it is not the disaster it once was - when it was only 1up-1down - but who is to say that once Newco get back in the top flight that the clubs don't go changing the rules again on financial distribution and promotion-relegation.

One thing that still pisses me off is why the "diddy" clubs never removed the 11-1 vote that the Oldco and Celtic used to keep them in their place.

Is the 11-1 completely off the agenda now ?

Sorry, but if Saints were relegated there would be sweeping changes across the whole club to ensure that the club stay out of debt. 

I'm sure the BoD have stated before that St Mirren players have a "relegation" clause to allow contracts to be terminated/adjusted.

Relegation from the top league would set the club back. The BoD know that. We as fans know that. To think otherwise is just plain daft regardless of parachute payments, play-off places and derby matches against the Ton. 

When you add up the loss of TV revenues, commercial sponsorship, gate money, Champions league bonus payments when Celtic qualify, it is a very significant shortfall and the BoD do not wish to go down that route.

I agree that it is not the disaster it once was - when it was only 1up-1down - but who is to say that once Newco get back in the top flight that the clubs don't go changing the rules again on financial distribution and promotion-relegation.

One thing that still pisses me off is why the "diddy" clubs never removed the 11-1 vote that the Oldco and Celtic used to keep them in their place.

Yes...a major fail in regards to promises made.

Next year's championship will see Rangers, possibly Dunfermline and even Hearts so it won't be easy if we lose the play-off or go straight down. There's definitely a plan, but you'd say goodbye to extra coaches, slash the youth budget and the name players would have to go.

Whoever the new manager and whenever there's a decent case they should look at the quality of youth development as well as the first team. The system has been in place long enough now to expect more than Kenny McLean and John McGinn pushing through. I wonder if the seeming lack of ex-professionals amongst the coaching staff is an issue? Just about every first team manager has played at a reasonable level. Why should it be any different for youth coaches, particularly at the older age group levels?

Whoever the new manager and whenever there's a decent case they should look at the quality of youth development as well as the first team. The system has been in place long enough now to expect more than Kenny McLean and John McGinn pushing through. I wonder if the seeming lack of ex-professionals amongst the coaching staff is an issue? Just about every first team manager has played at a reasonable level. Why should it be any different for youth coaches, particularly at the older age group level

Is Fitzy involved in our youth set up ,he is a good coach and ran many coaching courses .

Whoever the new manager and whenever there's a decent case they should look at the quality of youth development as well as the first team. The system has been in place long enough now to expect more than Kenny McLean and John McGinn pushing through. I wonder if the seeming lack of ex-professionals amongst the coaching staff is an issue? Just about every first team manager has played at a reasonable level. Why should it be any different for youth coaches, particularly at the older age group levels?

Money?

Yes...a major fail in regards to promises made.

Next year's championship will see THE Rangers, possibly Dunfermline and even Hearts so it won't be easy if we lose the play-off or go straight down. There's definitely a plan, but you'd say goodbye to extra coaches, slash the youth budget and the name players would have to go.

I'm always amazed at the posters on here who so glibly assume that Newco will still be around next year.

I certainly wouldn't bet on that. :)

But I think my point is, apart from SMP staff losing their jobs which nobody wants to see, none of the above actually matters.

You mention the squad being dismantled for peanuts - as opposed to the megabucks that our players are currently attracting in transfer fees?!

TV money goes, but the squad is smaller and shitter anyway so that doesn't matter, and you're not actually telling me anybody goes to see St Mirren play for the quality of football?

Crowd size I can agree with, and nobody wants to sit in an empty stadium, but we're only averaging around 4k anyway.

Look, all things being equal, staying up is better. But to a club like St Mirren, it's obvious that relegation will always be a distinct possibility. So why fear it, when it won't kill us? People seem convinced that inching a few places up the Premiership would make us all happier, but would it? How genuinely happy have fans of Killie, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen been in the past few years? f**k me, I wish we could underachieve on the same scale as those guys...

My mate is a big West Brom fan, and they have now become reasonably well-established in the EPL. This is because they were financially well-run and were able to take relegation on the chin while they were a yo-yo club for a few years. More to the point, my mate said he vastly preferred the seasons where they were chasing promotion to those where they were fighting relegation.

This place is f**king miserable at the minute - and frankly has been for the past five years, LC win and the summer where we signed Thommo and Teale excepted. If this is what life in the Premiership means, then I can take or leave it, frankly.

This place is f**king miserable at the minute - and frankly has been for the past five years, LC win and the summer where we signed Thommo and Teale excepted. If this is what life in the Premiership means, then I can take or leave it, frankly.

I'd rather this than a drop down, but only just. I'd certainly take it over getting the bus to either OF stadium.

But I think my point is, apart from SMP staff losing their jobs which nobody wants to see, none of the above actually matters.

You mention the squad being dismantled for peanuts - as opposed to the megabucks that our players are currently attracting in transfer fees?!

TV money goes, but the squad is smaller and shitter anyway so that doesn't matter, and you're not actually telling me anybody goes to see St Mirren play for the quality of football?

Crowd size I can agree with, and nobody wants to sit in an empty stadium, but we're only averaging around 4k anyway.

Look, all things being equal, staying up is better. But to a club like St Mirren, it's obvious that relegation will always be a distinct possibility. So why fear it, when it won't kill us? People seem convinced that inching a few places up the Premiership would make us all happier, but would it? How genuinely happy have fans of Killie, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen been in the past few years? f**k me, I wish we could underachieve on the same scale as those guys...

My mate is a big West Brom fan, and they have now become reasonably well-established in the EPL. This is because they were financially well-run and were able to take relegation on the chin while they were a yo-yo club for a few years. More to the point, my mate said he vastly preferred the

seasons where they were chasing promotion to those where they were fighting relegation.

Right so lets go back to playing Cowdenbeath in front of 1500 . Lets lose hard working staff who rely on us for a job, lets just pack up and go to div 1. Why is relegation a possibility ? Why are we not like killie shit but never go down? Or why aren't we pushing on and trying our best to at least reach tenth? I am giving Danny the next two games but when I look at it in the cold light of day his record in league football is v v poor. Even this year we would never have got a point had killie not lost Boyd. We failed to beat ten men just like last year v stjohnstone . I'm backing the gaffer these two games but its hard to see it working for him and I think times just about up. Why? Because we never win games and if we do they are one in 9 not every other week like some of the smaller clubs manage on similar budgets Edited by norrie82