Next St Mirren Manager

I'm surprised that no-one has started a poll as yet.

As I've said before, I'm still buzzing at the fact that we can even have this debate. Getting rid of Craig feels like a shot in the arm, even if we are still hurtling round the u-bend.

Agreed Drew, I think this is an excellent debate with some forthright and weighty opinions. Back in May we had all barely logged in and warmed up the fingers and it was all over (quite literally as it turned out).

This time it feels like a more considered and professional approach is being taken by the club with regard to appreciating who is out there, and what each candidate might bring. I'm a proponent of zero'ing in on a manager who can deliver survival over 22 games, so it's been great to read the opinion of others who believe it's a better approach to think longer term, even to the extent of, if the worst happens, who would be best placed to get us back out of the Championship. All good.

I've made numerous worthwhile suggestions, I just don't see the Ross County thing as a dream when there's only organisation and a few extra bits of cash between 5th and 9th in most seasons.There's also runs, confidence, players being new to the league and a whole manner of other contributing factors.

I'd take Butcher, I wouldn't touch Adams with a barge pole. If it was the start of the season I'd take Murray or even Aitken. We'd never get Davies (who wanted more money at Forest anyway), likewise we wouldn't get Clarke or anyone else recently out of decent jobs who are Scottish. Dominic Kinnear hs left Houston, Super Mo has experience, Tommy Wilson and others who've been stateside..we'd get none of them.

I don't think Butcher would come though and certainly don't want Calderwood due to him also complaining about cash. Lomas, again St J's chairman has a wee bit of money. We need someone who doesn't moan about that extra 50K, who embraces the challenge and isn't worried about the 6 month effect on his reputation or ego.

Ok some good points, but why not Adams, you didn't say. Or do u just not like the guy?

I'm surprised that no-one has started a poll as yet.

As I've said before, I'm still buzzing at the fact that we can even have this debate. Getting rid of Craig feels like a shot in the arm, even if we are still hurtling round the u-bend.

It still annoys me he wasnt punted earlier if Im being honest, it was a complete car crash appointment, so we are now left with all his dud signings, with zero confidence where a new man could have possibly lifted us, espeically with a home game v st johnstone and an away game v accies like we had a few weeks ago

anyway, onwards and upwards, i would rather we go for a long term appointment (ive said previously my prefence would be Murray) It going to be tough to avoid a bottom two finish with the points we have and points we would need to survive, so for that reason, and the fact the short term options arent exaclty encouraging I would bring someone in, like an Ian Murray and give them time.

Edited by foxbar_bud

My personal preference is for Ian Murray at Dumbarton, but I needed to waft my fingers over the keyboard for a few moments before typing that. My thinking behind plumping for Murray is that, despite how hard it is to admit it, i think Jose Mourinho might struggle with this particular St Mirren squad - so glaringly weak are we in so many vital areas, due to dereliction of transfer window duty by both Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig.

Given my realisation that we are a poorly assembled, unbalanced sqaud, the likes of Butcher and Calderwood would trouble me should they be appointed and we go down anyway. Murray has to a good extent at least, cut his managerial teeth at a struggling 'Div 1' club, so if we found ourselves there again, as a young and still ambitious manager, he could be the guy to navigate us towards re-building a new St Mirren in fizzy pop land. I just can't picture Tangoman or El Tel having much appetite for budget cuts and getting down and dirty with the likes of Falkirk or Queens/Hibs etc.

In many respects, just like Danny at Cowdenbeath, St Mirren's modest budget is still a helluva' lot more to play with than Murray has at Dumbarton, and we would be an attractive proposition for him to move up a fair bit from where he currently is.

IF he kept us up, fantastic, but if we go down, I'd fancy him to be the right man to stick with us and be our manager in a league he already knows.

Yeah ok but would we not need to compensate Sons? Also I am amazed Hibs didn't request his services, he does a good job at Dumbarton, no question, but we also have a huge whole even with a half decent manager, we need a half decent coach

Yeah ok but would we not need to compensate Sons? Also I am amazed Hibs didn't request his services, he does a good job at Dumbarton, no question, but we also have a huge whole even with a half decent manager, we need a half decent coach

No idea why Hibs didn't go for him - Hibs managerial appointment strategy has baffled me for the last ten - fifteen years mind you. Maybe Hibs wanted to go down the 'outsider' route and didn't want a guy who was a very recent Hibs player back at Hibs. They tried the 'ex player' thing many times in recent years.

I'm not sure if the BoD will specifically approach anyone, or if they'll sift through the applications. I have no idea if Murray has applied for the post. Any appointment is a risk, nothing is guaranteed, but if I had to plump for one man from the list of those being touted around? I'd go for Murray.

10k compensation? We have seen home numbers disappear like snaw' aff' a dyke.... If Murray is indeed the man our BoD want, they should be shouting from the rafters for fans to come out and back the club at the first home game following his appointment - do a ten quid ticket deal, do something, shake themselves from their slumber and get bums on seats for his first game in charge.

There's your compensation paid.

Edited by pozbaird

It's a healthy debate as others have stated.

But when someone's appointed that people don't like then the toys get thrown out the pram.

Harsh El G!

Don't forget the new manager will get a honeymoon period, roughly starting from when he signs the contract, and ending with the club's press release 60 minutes later.

Happy hour whistling.gif

The reason that TC was appointed is because the BoD thought that the sale of the club was just around the corner. Literally. They thought they could save Lennon's wages by getting shot of him and appoint the "brains" in TC and it would save them the hassle of looking for a new manager.

They let it go this long before sacking TC because they still thought the sale of the club was around the corner and they'd leave the responsibility up to the new owners.

Its my belief that the sale of the club has fallen through and the brutal realisation that they were stuck with the club, stuck with a clueless manager and heading for the Championship sunk in.

I believe it can still be turned around. We need to get in a decent manager and hope he can conjure up a couple of decent transfers in the window. We need a half decent striker, we need to get in a centre half to replace the hopeless McAusland and we need to stop these ridiculous passing tactics.

I don't want to be reading the line "St. Mirren conceded another goal when McAusland lost possession after receiving a pass from Ridgers" ever again.

Edited by a50lennyc

Yes it's good to see a healthy and balanced debate on here for a change - long may it continue.

I think there is a better chance of the BoD paying heed to the fans' views if they are well thought out and reasonable.

However, choosing a football manager is a bit like any other major purchase or investment we make, eg. buying a house, a car, photographic equipment or computer equipment etc.. It all depends what you are looking for in your prospective puchase.

It is only when you start to read other people's reviews on these products that it can start to become a bit more complicated than we originally thought.

So far as the next St Mirren manager is concerned, I am also starting to move towards Ian Murray as being the right choice at this particular point in time for the reasons already stated above by others. I also think we should take this opportunity to get Thommo involved as his assistant.

I think that management team would give us hope for the future but we might have to settle for a season (or two) in the championship. But these two guys would be well suited to build on the resources which are already in place.

I would also like to think that there could still be places for Teale and Longwell (and Goodwin).

The reason that TC was appointed is because the BoD thought that the sale of the club was just around the corner. Literally. They thought they could save Lennon's manager by getting shot of him and appoint the "brains" in TC and it would save them the hassle of looking for a new manager.

They let it go this long before sacking TC because they still thought the sale of the club was around the corner and they'd leave the responsibility up to the new owners.

Its my belief that the sale of the club has fallen through and the brutal realisation that they were stuck with the club, stuck with a clueless manager and heading for the Championship sunk in.

I believe it can still be turned around. We need to get in a decent manager and hope he can conjure up a couple of decent transfers in the window. We need a half decent striker, we need to get in a centre half to replace the hopeless McAusland and we need to stop these ridiculous passing tactics.

I don't want to be reading the line "St. Mirren conceded another goal when McAusland lost possession after receiving a pass from Ridgers" ever again.

good luck with that wish davie, he's a protected species

I think we need an appointment that the players respect , someone who will get the players and fans fired up , and for that reason I would appoint Stevie Thompson , I think there is still a place for Teale and Longwell , but there need to be someone with considerable experience and wheeler dealing in the management team too, and with that in mind I think Jimmy Nicholl would be an excellent choice . I would also consider bring in Steve Marsella , and using him the same way Inverness did .

If Butcher were available I would opt for him , but I suspect we have missed out.

This appointment shouldn,t be seen as stop gap , it should be seen as the start of something new.

I think whoever is offered the job will only get a contract till end of the season, and/or if we avoid relegation they activate an extension. This might not favour many candidates on the wishlist although i think this is the fairest terms to offer considering the last appointment turned out to be a disaster.

I think whoever is offered the job will only get a contract till end of the season, and/or if we avoid relegation they activate an extension. This might not favour many candidates on the wishlist although i think this is the fairest terms to offer considering the last appointment turned out to be a disaster.

I can see the point in this after offering a clown a two year contract first time round , but to I think that we should appoint someone that can generate a fighting spirit within the team , and also identify the type of players we need to survive in this league , or if we are relegated be able to be part of a side able to challenge for promotion , we have to see the appointment as a three year plan , rather than a six month plan.