Next St Mirren Manager

Funnily enough, when we were still in the clutches of TC I saw NW in Marks and Spencer in Braehead, honest! It was really strange as I had just met a fellow Bud and we were bemoaning the situation at St Mirren Park.I wondered, no prayed that there was a connection but it was not to be.

I've no idea what's going on behind the scenes at St Mirren Park, what kind of money is available to bring in new players or how the current crop feel about the Gary Teale/David Longwell partnership so it's hard to decide if I'd prefer the status quo until the end of the season or bring in someone with a bit more experience.

What I will say is that if we beat Killie on New Year's Day I would imagine the job will be Almost as good as Teale's. If you remove the Celtic game from the equation he's now had a very decent home performance v Motherwell and a great win at Dundee. The players are either more comfortable with his system or they really want to give their all for him. Either way, when you couple that with infinitely better performances, the BOD's decision becomes a little easier.

Edited by DLBud

I'd give Teale and Longwell till the end of the season, Teale has the team playing with a freedom that hasn't been seen for a long time.

The transformation of McGinn and McLean is outstanding.

Longwell's experience with the youth players seems to be paying dividends as well.

The main upside in appointing Tommy Craig was the fact that a new incomer would need to start by simply learning everyone's names, whereas Craig had a three year head start on any new face. An incredible position of relative strength in which to be handed the No1 position. He made a rip-roaring cnut of it though, and proved that his shite record as Hibs caretaker and Charelroi No1 was no unfortunate blip, but a true reflection on his managerial ability.

Teale and Longwell have a similar position of strength as Craig had. They know the place pretty much inside out. In fact, they are probably even more in the know than Craig was. Teale would be party to what the dressing room really felt about TC, and he would know from player-on-player conversations not involving TC what the players felt was wrong with TCs methods. Longwell would know the up and coming kids inside out - the swift promotion of two kids to the first team is clearly Longwell's doing. He believed in these boys and they were handed a chance. Teale and Longwell also have no previous record of abject failure as No1s at previous clubs.

I was all for an outsider coming in. I thought another 'internal bump up' was too incestuous, too much of a jobs for the boys act - the easy option for the BoD..... I was too quick to think that. Clearly, Teale and Longwell are not another Tommy Craig. They seem already to have some balls about them, and an abilty to shake the dressing room up from its slumber.

The last three games do not prove that Teale and Longwell are the new Brian Clough and Peter Taylor - but in thinking we must bring in an outsider, maybe, just maybe, we have a young ambitious pairing already in place who are up to the task. I have changed my mind about bringing in a new face quickly. These guys deserve a chance here. Act quickly and we might just have binned a right good new management team.

Just as dundee having McGowan playing yesterday would probably/possibly have improved their chances so, it must be said, having John McGinn back and functioning has been a big contribution to Saints looking better OVERALL, than they did in latter matches under TC.

Just as dundee having McGowan playing yesterday would probably/possibly have improved their chances so, it must be said, having John McGinn back and functioning has been a big contribution to Saints looking better OVERALL, than they did in latter matches under TC.

I think it's more to do with ditching the likes of Ball, Drury, Marwood, Caldwell, Reilly and putting McLean up front and giving a couple of boys a run out.

No need to rush things.Our budget dictates the fact we cant bring in many players,if any at all so i,m more than happy to go with Gary and David.Our team seem more galvanised already and the introduction of McLear and Mallan shows our youth aint too shabby either.I watch the under 20,s often and i,m not surprised by the current crop showing their worth.A couple of auld heeds in and we will really be on the march.

Despite some excellent performances since TC sacking culminating in Saturdays win against Dundee I still maintain GT and DL are not the answer managerial wise in the long run however if a new experienced manager was to come in I would keep GT as assistant manager purely because it is unlikely the board will make any money available for new players and his dressing room knowledge would be invaluable although the new manager may be allowed some money for loan deals. The bottom line is, although we are all entitled to our opinions none of us supporters really know whats happening at board level. northendsaintsaint is correct in stating our budget dictates what happens next but we could hardly be accused of rushing things if we were to appoint a new manager no later than the middle of January.

I'm happy about giving GT and DL the next 2 games before I think the BoD must make a decision due to the January window. I've been impressed with GT and DL so far. I thought we started well at Celtic Park and it wasn't a surprise to see us look poor at the back in that game but at least we looked capable of scoring a few going forward. TC eventually made a lot of Thommo's absence and injuries to key players etc, but GT and DL have had the team playing well in their 3 games with Thommo missing for the best part of 2 of those games and still getting back to fitness in the other. Guys like McGinn, McLean, Goodwin are starting to look like their old selves again after regressing under TC and it has been good to see young guys step in to the first team and look like they belong there and know what they are doing... when TC threw the young boys in you felt for them as the whole team looked shambolic and no one looked like they knew what their role was never mind the guys making their debuts.

If GT and DL can get 3 or 4 points from the next 2 games, and if they can say who they want to ship out on loan and which positions they want to strengthen then I would be more than happy with them getting the job until the end of the season with the option of extending it if we stay up and reviewing it if we finish 11th or 12th.

Don't see why a few things can't be happening in tandem just now: BoD shortlisting 60 applications and sounding out short list about job and January targets should GT and DL not pick up enough points in next 2 games to get the job, GT and DL given freedom to bring their signing targets in on trial and available to play as trialists in bounce games between now and 5th January, GT and DL told the job is theirs if they get 3-4 points from next 2 games and they can begin wheeling and dealing from 5th January. This gives GT and DL a fair enough crack at the whip and stops a decision being made on the back of 1 or 2 freak results (good or bad) and allows them a chance to indicate what wheeling and dealing they would attempt in January (Longwell may have some good U20 targets from other teams who could make step up to first team football) and also means if things don't work out results wise for GT and DL then we can move fast to appoint a replacement and help them get on with wheeling and dealing in January.

Fairly sure that Motherwell, Ross County, Partick will be making changes in January and attempting to strengthen so I reckon we will need to have decided on our management team by the day after the ICT game one way or another.

Gary has been given the ok to identify new players for Jan .... good news indeed :)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-interim-boss-gary-4897015

Agreed. It is vital that we look to do some business next month. Teale must have a good idea as to what is required, so lets get behind his efforts to bolster the squad.

Agreed. It is vital that we look to do some business next month. Teale must have a good idea as to what is required, so lets get behind his efforts to bolster the squad.

He definitely knows. He is quoted as saying Striker, midfielder and CENTRAL DEFENDER.

When was the last time it was admitted we needed one of them CH's?

Think Declan Hughes is back with us again. He seems to have done well on loan so if his contract is extended it's even more obvious what positions we need in. If we can loan out players as a result of bringing players in so much the better and there are certainly a few candidates.

He is but looks likely to sign for Cowdenbeath.