Next St Mirren Manager

Gary Teale now on 10 points from 10 games... not earth shatteringly great but usually just about enough to keep heads above water. It may still not be enough given the handicap Teale inherited from Tommy Craig's tenure.

Well we've jump the wee 'Well (for the time being) , just need to jump the Plastic Whistle next. .

• 1 month later...

I'm beginning to think that the reason the latter part of this thread is whooshing over my napper is that I never read Roy of the Rovers...

And is billy the fish from Viz?

ETA: my friend, Google, answered...

Edited by bluto

I'm beginning to think that the reason the latter part of this thread is whooshing over my napper is that I never read Roy of the Rovers...

And is billy the fish from Viz?

ETA: my friend, Google, answered...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUP57p2Q_Uc

Were you up the 'Monac' playing snooker when all your classmates were boning up on literature reading The Tiger?

Were you up the 'Monac' playing snooker when all your classmates were boning up on literature reading The Tiger?

Manaca? No - too smoky for me.

Tiger, Rover and others too expensive for me. I was already deeply committed to Monday Beezer, Tuesday Dandy, Thursday Beano, Friday Topper and (de rigeur on Sunday) the Broons/Oor Wullie.

Of course by 13 y.o. I was already tiring of such as Dostoevsky, Balzac, Nietszche and Kobayashi Issa (the latter far too long-winded for my tastes, naturally) - so I had migrated to the subtler genres of magazines to be found in Walker Street's Yankee Mags.

And... ahem.... I had developed an interest in 'Jazz'. And publications around that subject. smile.png

Edited by bluto

Manaca? No - too smoky for me.

Tiger, Rover and others too expensive for me. I was already deeply committed to Monday Beezer, Tuesday Dandy, Thursday Beano, Friday Topper and (de rigeur on Sunday) the Broons/Oor Wullie.

Of course by 13 y.o. I was already tiring of such as Dostoevsky, Balzac, Nietszche and Kobayashi Issa (the latter far to long-winded for my tastes, of course) - so I had migrated to the subtler genres of magazines to be found in Walker Street's Yankee Mags.

And... ahem.... I had developed an interest in 'Jazz'. And publications around that subject. smile.png

Was it Manaca? I aiways thought it was Monaco pronounced badly. I don't recall a sign anywhere near it. I remember a few of us working up the nerve to go into Yankee Mags and buy a nude book but the dame wouldn't sell us it. I think it was a married couple that ran it and I'm sure the woman would have been a real looker when she was younger.

I think you've misspelt what you were thinking of with Jazz.

Was it Manaca? I aiways thought it was Monaco pronounced badly. I don't recall a sign anywhere near it.

That's what I remembered... too near Orr Square Kirk for me...

I googled but could only find this.

http://pub46.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3920695613&frmid=18&msgid=1037181&cmd=show

I would guess the name is made up of maybe two owners eg:

Hilary MANtel and... er... ChewbACCA..?

...and they were also rubbish spellers...

(no my best example, btw...)

Was it Manaca? I aiways thought it was Monaco pronounced badly. I don't recall a sign anywhere near it. I remember a few of us working up the nerve to go into Yankee Mags and buy a nude book but the dame wouldn't sell us it. I think it was a married couple that ran it and I'm sure the woman would have been a real looker when she was younger.

I think you've misspelt what you were thinking of with Jazz.

Yes, it was officially the 'Monaco', but called the Manacca by those who frequented it.

As for Yankee Mags - I'd forgotten all about that place. Ah, fond memories now come flooding back.