Cited For Comments In A Team Talk?

Stuart Dickson

Is there any referee's out there?

I have been cited to attend a league disciplinary hearing after the league received a report from the referee that said that our Head Coach gave a half time team talk in which he told our players not to dissent to the referee because we know what he's like and we know what we are up against.

The referee has claimed that this showed him contempt and disrespect but the half time team talk was directed at the players - wasn't supposed to be in earshot of the ref - and had the purpose of trying to calm the kids down to get on with playing football.

There had been one controversial incident in the first half where one of our players was elbowed in the face. It was an accident however while he was on the ground the referee refused him treatment and played on for a further two minutes. Our captain was subsequently booked for trying to get the referee to stop the play to get treatment to his team mate by saying "ref he's down with a head knock". During that booking the referee said in full earshot of our touchline that it "wasn't a head knock. The blow was on the chin". He then booked a second player in our team for pointing out to him that "the chin is part of the head". The first player cautioned was subsequently sent off in the match and we appealed the decision and the appeal was successfully upheld and the players two yellow cards rescinded. This incident led to hightened tempers at half time and our coach was trying to calm the boys down.

The question I'm looking for an answer to is should the referee be able to report an official for comments directed at his own players during a team talk when the referee shouldn't be in attendance?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Short answer, yes.

Anything that happens at or around the pitch, in the dressing where ever can be included in the referees report, it's then up to the relevant association whether any further action is taken on that report. I've seen many refs reporting coaches for being overly aggressive with their own players for example.

Is there any referee's out there?

I have been cited to attend a league disciplinary hearing after the league received a report from the referee that said that our Head Coach gave a half time team talk in which he told our players not to dissent to the referee because we know what he's like and we know what we are up against.

Not really interested in your justifications TBH, but it's coaches like that who cause problems by essentially brainwashing kids into thinking every ref has an agenda.

What a ridiculous thing for a full grown man to say to impressionable kids.

Fair cop on this one.

Not really interested in your justifications TBH, but it's coaches like that who cause problems by essentially brainwashing kids into thinking every ref has an agenda.

What a ridiculous thing for a full grown man to say to impressionable kids.

Fair cop on this one.

Nah Oaksoft,

The players were angry. What the coach was doing was showing empathy whilst trying to calm them down. The point being that we do know what that referee is like, we have seem him in action before and we know that there's a flurry of yellow cards coming to either team if players do speak out of turn. In general our team has a very good disciplinary history with only a handful of yellow cards and two red cards (both issued by this same referee in a match two season ago, with one overturned under appeal) in our six years at eleven a side football.

Short answer, yes.

Anything that happens at or around the pitch, in the dressing where ever can be included in the referees report, it's then up to the relevant association whether any further action is taken on that report. I've seen many refs reporting coaches for being overly aggressive with their own players for example.

Fair enough Lex. I know that refs are responsible for disciplinary matters from the moment they arrive at a venue to the point where they leave, but I would have thought that referee's would respect the teams privacy at team talks and I'm surprised that this complaint wasn't just dropped into the bin. This referee has a recorded work related personal issue with our Head Coach so there's more to the issue than meets the eye.

Nah Oaksoft,

The players were angry. What the coach was doing was showing empathy whilst trying to calm them down.

Bolloxs was it empathy.

What he did was go for the lowest common denominator.

To do that with kids is unforgiveable and he deserves the boot he'll get.

Nah Oaksoft,

The players were angry. What the coach was doing was showing empathy whilst trying to calm them down. The point being that we do know what that referee is like, we have seem him in action before and we know that there's a flurry of yellow cards coming to either team if players do speak out of turn. In general our team has a very good disciplinary history with only a handful of yellow cards and two red cards (both issued by this same referee in a match two season ago, with one overturned under appeal) in our six years at eleven a side football.

BTW you want to know the way to calm down angry kids on a football pitch as a coach?

Tell them to button it or go home and take up another sport.

You'd be amazed how well that works.

You are not there to indulge their nonsense.

Edited by oaksoft

BTW you want to know the way to calm down angry kids on a football pitch as a coach?

Tell them to button it or go home and take up another sport.

You'd be amazed how well that works.

You are not there to indulge their nonsense.

Are you frothing at the mouth yet today brother?

You're getting yourself awfully het up all over the forum.

Calm down.

Don't let what's happening on all these threads allow your behaviour to be affected, and make you annoyed.

I am with you on this one Dicko.

The coach was telling the boys to quit the backchat as it's ending up with them in trouble.

The ref got it wrong in the first place as the first rule is that it's played in safe and secure enviroment and the safety of players.

A player down the a blow to the face and he played on so the said player got no treatment.

Take him all the way

Can you appeal and have yellow cards rescinded?

It was two yellow cards that got him sent off. We were given the opportunity to appeal and we did successfully. The evidence we gave was all based around the first yellow card offence so I presume that card was rescinded. The player himself did not offer any defence for the second yellow card offence.

It was two yellow cards that got him sent off. We were given the opportunity to appeal and we did successfully. The evidence we gave was all based around the first yellow card offence so I presume that card was rescinded. The player himself did not offer any defence for the second yellow card offence.

You learn something every day!

I think the disrespect shown toward a match official is absolutely appalling and I for one hope that the Scottish amateur football association (or whoever the governing body is) take the strongest possible action and delete any trace of this poorly run club from the annals of history.

The referee who has kindly given up his/her free time to officiate at this soccer match needs to be protected from this overly aggressive type of behaviour. Such disgusting acts only serve to discourage fine young men/women from giving up such free time to assist others to engage in healthy sporting activity. Also the example set by a senior member of the soccer club (in this case the coach) toward younger men/woman is shameful and I am only thankful that such disgustingly poor behaviour is at last being tackled by the powers that be.

Who does this coach think he is, some budding Neil Lennon?

Do we ever hear the real Neil Lennon bleating about "the beaks" using any form of media?

I only hope that the referee in this case does not let this obviously traumatic experience to ruin his/her love of the beautiful game and that they can somehow rise above this verbal mauling by a (most likely) common criminal and they can continue to function as decent members of society and hopefully even return to refereeing the soccer one day.

Well done "the beaks". Someone has to stand up and be counted on behalf of the referee's and it is this sort of never say die attitude that kept the Nazi at bay. For every evil Neil Lennon clone there is an efficient and righteous official fighting for common decency and despite this sad, sorry little affair we can take some encouragement from the iron will shown by the good people trying to clean up football on our behalf.

Edited by TediousTom

In my experience of amateur football that comment would have been said loud enough for the referee to hear, it's usually said to remind the players but also to have a dig at the official.

Nonsense he's been cited though

Nah, the coach didn't know where the ref was. The referee was maybe 4 or 5 yards away behind him and it seems he was listening in.

Nah, the coach didn't know where the ref was. The referee was maybe 4 or 5 yards away behind him and it seems he was listening in.

Really? The poor referee was actually subjected to the whole nasty and malicious verbal assault?

The "coach" is very lucky that only the governing body are involved and not the Police. Surely most of us will agree that the best solution would be to lock up this evil man/woman and throw away the key. 90 years hard labour should just about suffice.

I am now very worried about this poor chap/chapess who was refereeing this "sporting" event. Does anyone know the referee personally and where they live? It seems to me that someone should be checking on the wellbeing of this poor victim as we all know what seven bottles of milk on a doorstep can mean!

As to why someone would post about such crimes on a footballing forum is entirely beyond me. Let us hope that justice shall prevail and this young fellow/fellowess can somehow recover and function in a manner that we can recognise as a human being.

One word sums up this sorry affair "SHAME"

Edited by TediousTom

What age group is this ? If it's under 13's or below then I'd take the matter of not allowing treatment up with the relevant authorities. A head knock even to an adult can cause serious injury, a head knock to a child or youth should be looked at straight away

It was Under 15's Bud77 but yeah I appreciate that since I was on the Sports Injuries Course at the weekend. At the first hearing the referee claimed that he saw the boy being hit and going down but saw him getting back to his feet so he let play continue before stopping it two minutes later to allow treatment. He then changed his story to he ran past the boy and asked him if he was OK and the boy responded that he was so he allowed play to continue for two minutes before allowing treatment. I included all the details in my report to LFDA and we brought witness statements to the first hearing. I'm not sure what other authorities to report it to other than maybe the SFA.

Another area we've been told to investigate is the possibility that he breached health and safety regulations when he asked out Head Coach to leave the facility. The Head Coach was also our only qualified first aider at that time and the people running the first aid course said that SFA regulations now state that each match must have two first aid officials present - one from each team and that the referee should have abandoned the match when he sent the Head Coach off.

Stuart, for our club to achieve Charter Standard status, it needs to have in place, the following polocies/protocols etc

Constitution

Coaches Code of Conduct

Players Code of Conduct

Parents Code of Conduct

& everyone must sign up to the relevant code at the start of each season, if they don't, Registration doesn't get processed.

I think your coach has been naïve to have had the conversation with the team with the Ref only 5 - 10 yards away, by doing so, he was courting trouble and he was naïve if his version of events in not knowing where the ref was, is to be believed. Before saying something negative about the ref, he should've had a look around to see where he was.

Last time I was sent off in a match, I was playing centre half and our team were taking a corner {it was never a corner but the ref gave us it} I was stood on the half way line & said to my opponent "he's the shittest ref I've ever seen" Ref heard me & sent me off. 35 day ban & a £25 fine.

when my team were under 8's, we had a ref who was worse than abysmal, his decisions against my team were shocking.

I approached our club secretary, submitted a list of what I was not happy about in this one game {included 3 penalties against us {at 7 years of age} & told the secretary to make sure he never reffed my team again. To this day, he hasn't.

Early in the summer, I was invited to play a dads match & this fella was the ref, he hasn't improved and I wasn't bound by a code of conduct

With the difficulties that your coach is having with this ref, If it was me, I'd ask for a personal hearing at the FA, state the case & provide whatever evidence that you have. Explain that you think it is not in either parties interest if he refs your games again & ask that he doesn't.

Pretty obvious those comments are intended as a dig at the ref. Another wannabe Alex Ferguson setting a terrible example to young kids.

I don't know why those guys that referee at that level give up their time to try and help to be honest.

Guest somner9

If the Ref has dobbed you in he's obviously a man of refinement, character and able to spot the walking brain-dead at 5-10 metres.

Edited by somner9