Cited For Comments In A Team Talk?

Stuart Dickson

Pretty obvious those comments are intended as a dig at the ref. Another wannabe Alex Ferguson setting a terrible example to young kids.

I don't know why those guys that referee at that level give up their time to try and help to be honest.

I used to run leagues a few years back as my business and came across these guys all the time.

Trying to keep referees involved was difficult.

I remember a 16 year old ref being battered by a full grown man who was convinced his team were being biased against.

Made the back page of the local papers at the time.

I remember their manager on the phone saying sorry but then in the next breath telling me about how one free kick had been given and then an identical challenge resulted in no free kick. It was absolutely pathetic.

Football in this country does seem to have grown a status of importance way beyond what it should be.

Missing a free kick is enough justification for physical violence in the eyes of some people.

I was pretty shocked at how many people did actually seem to think the ref had to accept some blame for his attack.

What Dickson's clueless coach is failing to understand is that when they sow poison like this you build up a lifetime of toxin in some of the young people who are listening to you.

Dickson and others need to explain to the sane world why football is worth this amount of hassle, bad feeling and poison.

This is supposed to be fun for kids. Instead fully grown men are using it as an opportunity to spread their own emotional shit amongst them.

I'd be embarassed to shout at a ref during a kiddies football match.

I'd be embarassed to do it in an SPL match FFS.

It's only a game.

I used to run leagues a few years back as my business and came across these guys all the time.

Trying to keep referees involved was difficult.

I remember a 16 year old ref being battered by a full grown man who was convinced his team were being biased against.

Made the back page of the local papers at the time.

I remember their manager on the phone saying sorry but then in the next breath telling me about how one free kick had been given and then an identical challenge resulted in no free kick. It was absolutely pathetic.

Football in this country does seem to have grown a status of importance way beyond what it should be.

Missing a free kick is enough justification for physical violence in the eyes of some people.

I was pretty shocked at how many people did actually seem to think the ref had to accept some blame for his attack.

What Dickson's clueless coach is failing to understand is that when they sow poison like this you build up a lifetime of toxin in some of the young people who are listening to you.

Dickson and others need to explain to the sane world why football is worth this amount of hassle, bad feeling and poison.

This is supposed to be fun for kids. Instead fully grown men are using it as an opportunity to spread their own emotional shit amongst them.

I'd be embarassed to shout at a ref during a kiddies football match.

I'd be embarassed to do it in an SPL match FFS.

It's only a game.

I totally agree with the sentiments of that post Oaksoft. I too have seen ridiculous incidents on the touchline including one coach being assaulted by another in an under 14s match last season. Believe it or not because the police got involved the League can't take action on it till the case has been to court so that official continues to play his trade on the pro youth circuit......

Anyway with regards our coach you're wrong. He wasn't shouting from the touchline. He was conducting his half time team talk. Where would you have advised your match official to position himself at half time Oaksoft

I totally agree with the sentiments of that post Oaksoft. I too have seen ridiculous incidents on the touchline including one coach being assaulted by another in an under 14s match last season. Believe it or not because the police got involved the League can't take action on it till the case has been to court so that official continues to play his trade on the pro youth circuit......

Anyway with regards our coach you're wrong. He wasn't shouting from the touchline. He was conducting his half time team talk. Where would you have advised your match official to position himself at half time Oaksoft

It's not a matter of WHERE the official decides to stand. It's about respect. If you are training young players then you are, effectively, training young minds. That training MUST take into consideration respect. It is disrespectful to intimate that a player should change his outlook due to your perceived opinion of a referee.

A footballer should be taught that a referee is unbiased and honest and should be treated with respect at ALL times, no matter who the official might be.

If a coach is caught saying anything which might be perceived disrespectful then he should be taken to task for bringing the game into disrepute.

No grey areas AFAIC. Your coach should accept his punishment, learn the lesson and hold it up as a marker for the lads under his charge.

It's not a matter of WHERE the official decides to stand. It's about respect. If you are training young players then you are, effectively, training young minds. That training MUST take into consideration respect. It is disrespectful to intimate that a player should change his outlook due to your perceived opinion of a referee.

A footballer should be taught that a referee is unbiased and honest and should be treated with respect at ALL times, no matter who the official might be.

If a coach is caught saying anything which might be perceived disrespectful then he should be taken to task for bringing the game into disrepute.

No grey areas AFAIC. Your coach should accept his punishment, learn the lesson and hold it up as a marker for the lads under his charge.

He was teaching the footballers in his charge to change the way they handled his decisions. He was telling them NOT to dissent. It strikes me as strange that so many on here would have ignored the players rising frustrations.

He was showing empathy with the comments the players were making to him, whilst going on to make the point that we know what this ref is like and that he'd be looking for an excuse to start sending players off. I have to admit I would have a real problem with the association if they do take further action on this.

He was teaching the footballers in his charge to change the way they handled his decisions. He was telling them NOT to dissent. It strikes me as strange that so many on here would have ignored the players rising frustrations.

He was showing empathy with the comments the players were making to him, whilst going on to make the point that we know what this ref is like and that he'd be looking for an excuse to start sending players off. I have to admit I would have a real problem with the association if they do take further action on this.

Hmmm. And that's teaching kids to show respect? I don't think so.bangin.gif

Hmmm. And that's teaching kids to show respect? I don't think so.bangin.gif

It's telling them not to show dissent - which is entirely in line with the SFA policy documents. bangin.gif

As in every walk of life you earn and command respect. We can't make young footballers respect an incompetent referee - but we can tell them not to show dissent. That's what we do.

I would have advised him not to deliberately try and wind the ref up by speaking words like that in a loud voice within hearing range.

I'd advise him not to use the kids as an excuse to vent that rage of his in a childish and pathetic point scoring exercise.

Then I'd ask him not to come back for violating my clubs sporting principles and poisoning my young kids with his pointless negativity.

I've also told you that I wouldn't tolerate my kids showing anger on a pitch either.

It's a sport. It's for fun. Either they play it in the right spirit or they go and do something else.

All kids get frustrated.and that's when they need adults to guide them towards the light.

No he wasn't. He was teaching the kids that referees are biased, corrupt and not to be trusted.

I would NEVER allow my kids to play in your football squad.

It's telling them not to show dissent - which is entirely in line with the SFA policy documents. bangin.gif

"Don't talk back to the referee or you'll risk being sent off. If that happens you'll be dropped from the squad and forced to do ballet on a Saturday instead".

If your coach had said that there would be no problem. Instead he added on some conspiracy theory wankery about the ref being biased.

Edited by oaksoft

Surprised it's that high now but TBH there isn't any amount of money you could offer me to be a ref and take shit from these scummy bastards.

f**k em. Let them ref their own matches.

It's £38 in the LFDA leagues but SOME refs get 6 matches per weekend. I was also very surprised to learn that the get paid a fee to attend disciplinary hearings - in effect incentivising them to create situations that land up with a hearing.

I actually took the OP off ignore to read this thread as the various responses were interesting. What I've read doesn't surprise me as it displays an extreme immaturity and inability to think about the issue appropriately.

It's very simple. The referee might be biased, he might not. He might be competent, he might not. However this is ALL completely irrelevant to the main issue - the fact that the coach intimated bias to his entire squad. The motivation for doing this, and the context in which it was said is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

You said he was showing empathy and trying to calm the kids down - fine! But there are less brain dead ways to do this, here's a very simple example that sets the RIGHT tone:

'Right boys, you've had a couple of decisions go against you, but you need to calm down. The referee can only call what he sees at the time. He can only see it from the angle he's at and isn't standing where any of you are. In every game of football every day of the week, referees get most decisions right, and a few decisions wrong. Nobody is superhuman, and nobody can get everything right 100% of the time. But these things will balance out over the course of a game and a season, and to get frustrated and angry will not help you, in fact it's more likely to get you in trouble and make you play worse. Be professional, stay calm, accept the referee's decisions, because you can't change them. Remember that you're representing your club and your family out there.'

It's not that difficult to think of something that shows empathy, lets the kids know that decisions aren't always right but aren't necessarily corrupt, shows respect for the officials and tells them to calm down at the same time. It sounds to me that this guy shouldn't be coaching if he's going to pass on this conspiracy garbage to the younger generation, again regardless of context or motivation.

And no, I'm not coaching right now, but I have in years past having been a coach for u12's - u15's about 10 years ago. I've also been a referee for a number of Scouts tournaments in years past, so I can see it from both perspectives.

Allan, I am continually surprised by your well thought out, appropriate & unbiased replies.

You seem to be one of most sensible posters on here - for a while now I've wondered if you are sure you're in the right place, did you log in by accident one night and get trapped?

I actually took the OP off ignore to read this thread as the various responses were interesting. What I've read doesn't surprise me as it displays an extreme immaturity and inability to think about the issue appropriately.

It's very simple. The referee might be biased, he might not. He might be competent, he might not. However this is ALL completely irrelevant to the main issue - the fact that the coach intimated bias to his entire squad. The motivation for doing this, and the context in which it was said is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

You said he was showing empathy and trying to calm the kids down - fine! But there are less brain dead ways to do this, here's a very simple example that sets the RIGHT tone:

'Right boys, you've had a couple of decisions go against you, but you need to calm down. The referee can only call what he sees at the time. He can only see it from the angle he's at and isn't standing where any of you are. In every game of football every day of the week, referees get most decisions right, and a few decisions wrong. Nobody is superhuman, and nobody can get everything right 100% of the time. But these things will balance out over the course of a game and a season, and to get frustrated and angry will not help you, in fact it's more likely to get you in trouble and make you play worse. Be professional, stay calm, accept the referee's decisions, because you can't change them. Remember that you're representing your club and your family out there.'

It's not that difficult to think of something that shows empathy, lets the kids know that decisions aren't always right but aren't necessarily corrupt, shows respect for the officials and tells them to calm down at the same time. It sounds to me that this guy shouldn't be coaching if he's going to pass on this conspiracy garbage to the younger generation, again regardless of context or motivation.

And no, I'm not coaching right now, but I have in years past having been a coach for u12's - u15's about 10 years ago. I've also been a referee for a number of Scouts tournaments in years past, so I can see it from both perspectives.

If you haven't already done so, now is the time to put the OP back on , ignore. .

Allan, I am continually surprised by your well thought out, appropriate & unbiased replies.

You seem to be one of most sensible posters on here - for a while now I've wondered if you are sure you're in the right place, did you log in by accident one night and get trapped?

Lol, I'm likely just letting the side down by being too serious!! :P

I do hope Dickyboy comes back on here with the tale of how his freedom fighting coach - a virtue of truth and decency got on with his "arse kicking" of both ref and disciplinary panel.

There should have been a decision by now TBH. I fully expect the ref to have been summarily beaten and sacked by the panel and the coach elevated to messiah-like status by the SFA.

I can barely contain my excitement.

When will we hear the result I wonder.....