Vs Partick.. How Would You Do It?

GMBB

Big game coming up this week against Partick. Will no doubt be a great travelling support. With all the negativity about DL's tactics and team choice lately how would you (sensibly) go about it giving we go into the fixture with the same squad of players?

I would like to see a 4 2 3 1

GK - Cornell

RB - Van Zanten

LB - Grainger

CB - McAusland

CB - McGregor

CDM - Goodwin

CDM - Newton

AML - Harkins

AMR - Teale

AMC - McGowan

ST - Thompson

I beleive this new "deeper role" that McGowan has been deployed in is a large contribution to our ineffective attacking play. The lad started his career as a striker we are struggling for one, he knows where the net is, decent experience too i would defo play him behind thommo rather than Harkins.

Big game coming up this week against Partick. Will no doubt be a great travelling support. With all the negativity about DL's tactics and team choice lately how would you (sensibly) go about it giving we go into the fixture with the same squad of players?

Personally, given the abuse handed out by our "supporters" at the last game I'd play it behind closed doors to give us a better chance.

Cornell

DVZ McGregor McAusland Grainger

Newton

Teale McGowan Harkins McGinn

Thompson

I'd go with this team and shape for a number of reasons.

Firstly... Goodwin is turning into Potter MK II and having a go at all and sundry around him... especially when he is at fault. I would drop him for a worse crime than that though... standing with his hands on his hips as Brittain netted the rebound after Cornell's save is worthy of disciplinary action!!!

I advocated a 4-2-3-1 against Ross County, which I believe would have worked. However, having watched Thistle twice this season, I am sure that would play into their hands and give them a huge advantage.

Their main source of danger is the long diagonal for their right back O'Donnell to run onto at pace... so Grainger needs support and we need pace on the left and in the middle to combat that.

Gowser is wasted at the back and Grainger is wasted playing alongside Thommo.

Newton has the engine to play in front of the back four... allowing DVZ to get forward and help Teale on the overlap.

McGinn has the pace and tenacity to help Grainger take care of O'Donnell.

With a back four and a holding midfielder, Harkins can enjoy a genuine free role and show us what he is capable of! He and Gowser can get up in support of Thommo, who will have a real battle against their young strong central defence.

Cornell

DVZ McGregor McAusland Grainger

Newton

Teale McGowan Harkins McGinn

Thompson

I'd go with this team and shape for a number of reasons.

Firstly... Goodwin is turning into Potter MK II and having a go at all and sundry around him... especially when he is at fault. I would drop him for a worse crime than that though... standing with his hands on his hips as Brittain netted the rebound after Cornell's save is worthy of disciplinary action!!!

I advocated a 4-2-3-1 against Ross County, which I believe would have worked. However, having watched Thistle twice this season, I am sure that would play into their hands and give them a huge advantage.

Their main source of danger is the long diagonal for their right back O'Donnell to run onto at pace... so Grainger needs support and we need pace on the left and in the middle to combat that.

Gowser is wasted at the back and Grainger is wasted playing alongside Thommo.

Newton has the engine to play in front of the back four... allowing DVZ to get forward and help Teale on the overlap.

McGinn has the pace and tenacity to help Grainger take care of O'Donnell.

With a back four and a holding midfielder, Harkins can enjoy a genuine free role and show us what he is capable of! He and Gowser can get up in support of Thommo, who will have a real battle against their young strong central defence.

What about Robertson at right back ,this guy has got more to him than we have seen ,I think he could play here easily .

What about Robertson at right back ,this guy has got more to him than we have seen ,I think he could play here easily .

Out injured. Will he be fit?

DVZ had his backside kicked when Robbo was replaced by McGregor and McGregor retained the starting place despite being third choice.

If dropping Goodwin then I'd be looking for Vanzy to step up and be counted.

I do agree with you that Robertson has more to offer than we've seen though.

This is shaping up to be a right good game.

Make no mistake about the Plastic Whistle, they will be coming to Greenhill Rd looking to take all three points. Patience amongst our support has been evaporating fast since that glorious day in March due to the appalling performances that our team have repeatedly dished up to an expectant support. The more tepidly natured amongst our forum flock will say things like "it is only three games in" and "its too early to judge". The fact is that pressure is mounting on Wee Danny and if is any sort of manager with talent then he will have his side pumped up and focused for what really will be an important game in our season. For a team that is certainly not short of experienced professional's it can be said that we have lacked leadership on the park. The rot needs to stop extremely quickly and we (the supporters) will be watching for the much fabled "reaction" from the players.

Is this a big game for Daniel Lennon and the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co?

You can bet both your buttocks that it is.

The Maryhill scheme dwellers and the West End luvvies will be (quite understandably) expecting an easy 3 points and we, the supporters of our great and glorious club will demanding the exact opposite. I always look forward to the soccerball of a weekend but this one has that something extra.

I am also glad to see Partick Thistle back at the top table of Scottish football.

Now lets hear it COYS

PS I do not know the double lines have appeared

Edited by TediousTom

Give McGowan the free role that has made him into the player he is.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot before a ball is kicked. He is the player that makes things tick for us. I bet you Butcher,Johnson and Adams couldn't believe their luck when they seen him take up that position.

We have Goodwin and Newton who can play in that role.Surely you play your best players in their best position?

Personally, given the abuse handed out by our "supporters" at the last game I'd play it behind closed doors to give us a better chance.

i would rather the stewards moved the boo boys to the Partick support.

Edited as it changed Partick to Patrick. Maybe it was right.

Edited by E=Mc2

Danny , ably assisted by Tommy will pick the Team and arrange the formation and tactics.

All we have to do is support them 100% , dinnae boo and dinnae pish our pants.

We'll be absolutely fine.

Win at Dumfries and 3 points on Saturday.

Happy happy !

The best way to get results, is to set up a team which suits the players at the club as best as possible. Our current set up does not. I do not feel that we have a good enough player to play at RB and therefore think we should change our set up to a back three with wing backs. I'd go for a suprise and set up with a 3-5-2.

GK - Cornell

CB - McGregor
Sweeper - Mair (I have no problems with Lee Mair as a defender when the ball is on the ground, but he lacks ability in the air to play in a back four in my opinion, but I'd be interested to see him as a sweeper)
CB - McAusland

Wing back - Grainger
Wing back - Teale (he's certainly got an engine in him to get up and down the park and hopefully the holding midfield can assist with defensive duties)

Holding midfielder - Goodwin (We need a bit of height in the midfield and someone that can really break up play)

Central Midfield - Newton and McGinn

Behind the front two - McGowan

Strikers - Thompson and Reilly (Alternatively McGowan up front as he has played there before with Morton I believe and Harkins behind them)

The best way to get results, is to set up a team which suits the players at the club as best as possible. Our current set up does not. I do not feel that we have a good enough player to play at RB and therefore think we should change our set up to a back three with wing backs. I'd go for a suprise and set up with a 3-5-2.

GK - Cornell

CB - McGregor

Sweeper - Mair (I have no problems with Lee Mair as a defender when the ball is on the ground, but he lacks ability in the air to play in a back four in my opinion, but I'd be interested to see him as a sweeper)

CB - McAusland

Wing back - Grainger

Wing back - Teale (he's certainly got an engine in him to get up and down the park and hopefully the holding midfield can assist with defensive duties)

Holding midfielder - Goodwin (We need a bit of height in the midfield and someone that can really break up play)

Strikers - Thompson and Reilly (Alternatively McGowan up front as he has played there before with Morton I believe and Harkins behind them)

Like the sound of that team.

Unfortunately, not a f**king chance in hell it'll happen.

The team are floundering, two 3-0 defeats in our first three games, disjointed and gutless performances, total arse-collapses after losing the first goal in both games, so let's get to the root of the problem. The fans are to blame, the guys who travelled to Inverness and Dingwall to follow St Mirren are responsible.

The team are floundering, two 3-0 defeats in our first three games, disjointed and gutless performances, total arse-collapses after losing the first goal in both games, so let's get to the root of the problem. The fans are to blame, the guys who travelled to Inverness and Dingwall to follow St Mirren are responsible.

Well said Wilbur.

There's a lot of silly talk on here at the moment from one or two people.

If you're unhappy, or want to complain about the state of things, you're either a knicker-wetter, somebody's alias, not a real fan, or a fan of another team!!!?

All ridiculous.

GK - Cornell

CB - McGregor

CB - McAusland

Wing back - Grainger

huh.png

We need to get Harkins to adapt, at least in the short term, so my team/formation is fairly obvious with the exception of dropping the captain..

Cornell(though I'm tempted to say Dilo)

DVZ(Robertson/Caprice) McAusland McGregor Grainger

Teale Newton McGinn Harkins

McGowan .

Thompson( C )

Edited by stlucifer