Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

You're missing the point. Even if there was no more budget and no more players could come in, it would be clear that Lennon has made a mess of managing his budget. We have ONE striker on our books!! What professional club has ever had one striker in its squad? You're not going to win games if you don't score goals. What's more, Thompson is getting on and we have relied on him too much for the last two seasons as it is. We can't keep hoping that he'll stay fit all year and score 15 goals. Lennon has signed McGowan, Harkins, Newton and now Caprice this summer. That's four midfielders we didn't need, two of the four would have been more than enough and he could have signed another striker or two.

The season is now well under way and he has had a shocking pre-season. The fact that there is room left in the budget just makes it all the worse. He cleared out a load of players in the summer without having any replacements lined up, ad he and we have been caught out big time.

Good post.

I don't understand all these arguments of ' it's only 4 games into the season!!!!! '. as if Danny's a new manager. Some Killie fans are already expressing concerns about Alan Johnstones management, that counter argument would suit their criticisms. Danny is the third longest serving manager in the league, he's not a new kid on the block. He cannot use the lack of time as an excuse for the teams failings.

Since we won the cup in March - and also before - our form has been atrocious, and nobody could spin that otherwise. It's not just the results either, the performances have been verging on the farcical. Losing home and away to Dundee, losing 4-1 at home to Ross County, getting pumped 3 zip off a poor Hearts team, the two recent highland debacles, the performance last night. I could go on. We haven't won any game in Paisley for over 6 months for goodness sake.

This is why he is under pressure, the 4 games this season are merely the latest tip of an ever growing iceberg of discontent.

Whether this is an open forum or not is totally irrelevant, the open abuse and direct unmitigated personal attacks on DL are completely uncalled for.

Without doubt he is trying his best. Now to some that is maybe not enough, but whether we like it or not as supporters, that is what we have got - a Manager who has introduced a different brand of football and works within a severely constrained budget.

Guys - get it into your thick heads, if DL and TC were given Barcelona's budget and players we would see really exciting successful football, we don't and never shall have that luxury, so accept what we have, a BoD that won't go into debt, a budget that is extremely tight and a bunch of players that would struggle to make the grade in the third tier of English football.

Stop the vitriol against DL, by all means make sensible, rational and non-personal comments, but please stop this tirade against someone who has brought some joy to the miserable bunch that call themselves Saint's supporters! cloud9.gif

Another good post. Danny is a nice guy who i have a lot of time for. I know for certain he is trying his absolute best to win games for the football club. Any personal abuse of him is completely unjustifiable.

Sadly, it's not working out for either party at the moment and i feel it would be best for all concerned if the football club and Danny parted ways.

Last season we had the best squad I have seen at Saint Mirren for years which , was instrumental in giving us our historic Cup victory and much rejoicing . However , in League duties , we still only managed 11th despite other clubs having weaker squads and one club having financial melt down. .

On the telly recently Steven Thompson said that we needed to be able to close games out that we were winning instead of them turning into defeats or draws.This hasn't been addressed. .

To be fair , I'd be very surprised if the BoD were to sack Danny now, as I think they do hold him in high regard but Danny now only has a couple of days to bring in a couple of players that can make a difference/shore things up. What he does in the next couple of days could well determine his future when we approach the next transfer window in mid season but by then it may well be an uphill struggle to get it sorted and we may well find ourselves facing play-offs or worse at the end of the season. .

Last season we had the best squad I have seen at Saint Mirren for years which , was instrumental in giving us our historic Cup victory and much rejoicing . However , in League duties , we still only managed 11th despite other clubs having weaker squads and one club having financial melt down. .

On the telly recently Steven Thompson said that we needed to be able to close games out that we were winning instead of them turning into defeats or draws.This hasn't been addressed. .

To be fair , I'd be very surprised if the BoD were to sack Danny now, as I think they do hold him in high regard but Danny now only has a couple of days to bring in a couple of players that can make a difference/shore things up. What he does in the next couple of days could well determine his future when we approach the next transfer window in mid season but by then it may well be an uphill struggle to get it sorted and we may well find ourselves facing play-offs or worse at the end of the season. .

Neil Danny is a hell of a nice guy no question on that. Like many others I made the hellish journey up to Ross County and came away a very worried man indeed. Players out of position , one of our best players playing as a holding midfielder which does not suit his play , I could go on and on but the biggest worrying thing was how our heads went down when we went behind. Have seen it many times before in the 40 odd years of watching St Mirren we have relagation written all over us from what I have seen in our last two away games. Once the manager of Killie worked out our system they took control of the game. There is no plan B and we are not always playing the best players. This is about the welfare of St Mirren not Danny Lennon. He has the tools to sort his own mess out supplied by our board at a lot of cost. If he does not know how to use the fantastic tools supplied then we need to find someone who can. 3 wins in 9 month is not terrible it's a bloody disgrace.

How much longer are the board going to accept the dreadful performances being turned in under the so-called leadership of DL. He is far from a leader of men, he is tactically inept and his training regimes along with Tommy Craig leave a lot to be desired. The time for change is now before we slip further down the table and leave ourselves with too big a mountain to climb.

Dear Mr. Rubble,

Your first post as a member of this supporters forum is a topic asking for our manager to be sacked.

There has obviously not been anything in the last months, say from the 17th March 2013,, that has stirred you into action like what your team is going through just now.

Time to fulfill the title you believe you hold of supporter.

Edited by E=Mc2

Guys - get it into your thick heads, if DL and TC were given Barcelona's budget and players we would see really exciting successful football, we don't and never shall have that luxury,

So surely Dl should be coming up with a plan to get the best out of the resources he has, like Inverness or Ross County, instead of attempting to play like Barcelona?

So he's kept McGowan and Newton from last season, replaced Goncalves with Harkins and added Caprice as cover for Right back and right mid. seems like some bloody good business to me.

Incidentaly, you lennon haters need to get your story straight. You can't slate Lennon for signing Caprice the midfielder, when last night on twitter Lennon was getting slated for replacing Teale with Caprice the defender.

It might be good business if we had three strikers in the squad. But we have ONE! So it is disastrous mis-management of his budget. If he spent all his budget on three EPL-level defenders and we suddenly had the best defence in the league but no midfielders and no strikers, that would also not be good business. How can you not see that? He has a set sum and he has to spread it around his squad to build a decent team with decent back-up. He has failed to do so and left us woefully short in all departments. Apart from centre midfield, where he now has the problem of trying to fit McGowan and Harkins into the same team because they are two of his top earners, and early signs are that will not work.

Lennon is like a kid playing fantasy football or championship manager. He sees a couple of players he likes, signs them both for the same position, finds another player who he liked the season before and brings him back, then realises he has forgotten to sort his crap defence, has forgotten to sign any strikers and the deadline is nearly up. Oops. Still, perhaps that's an improvement on his first season, when he spread his budget thinly over a dozen dreadful signings...

Harkins does not replace Goncalves, he was to replace McGowan. Only McGowan stayed. We didn't need cover for the right hand side, we have Barron already.

I have no idea what you are talking about with regard to Teale, I think you need to get your story straight because I never mentioned him. Although as far as I can see, people were slating Lennon for removing Teale because he was our best player.

Neil Danny is a hell of a nice guy no question on that. Like many others I made the hellish journey up to Ross County and came away a very worried man indeed. Players out of position , one of our best players playing as a holding midfielder which does not suit his play , I could go on and on but the biggest worrying thing was how our heads went down when we went behind. Have seen it many times before in the 40 odd years of watching St Mirren we have relagation written all over us from what I have seen in our last two away games. Once the manager of Killie worked out our system they took control of the game. There is no plan B and we are not always playing the best players. This is about the welfare of St Mirren not Danny Lennon. He has the tools to sort his own mess out supplied by our board at a lot of cost. If he does not know how to use the fantastic tools supplied then we need to find someone who can. 3 wins in 9 month is not terrible it's a bloody disgrace.

I don't disagree with anything you said there , Ian . What I will say again tho' is that , I'd be very surprised if Danny Boy leaves or is sacked at least before November. .

As I said , if he can bring some personnel in in the next couple of days that can make an impact , then in a couple of months time we will have forgotten about this , if he fails to deliver then we will be facing what will seem like a rather long autumn. A win on Saturday and some new personnel could turn things around for Danny and us but whatever happens on Saturday , we will be in a better position as fans to see how things are likely to pan out. .

Whether this is an open forum or not is totally irrelevant, the open abuse and direct unmitigated personal attacks on DL are completely uncalled for.

Without doubt he is trying his best. Now to some that is maybe not enough, but whether we like it or not as supporters, that is what we have got - a Manager who has introduced a different brand of football and works within a severely constrained budget.

Guys - get it into your thick heads, if DL and TC were given Barcelona's budget and players we would see really exciting successful football, we don't and never shall have that luxury, so accept what we have, a BoD that won't go into debt, a budget that is extremely tight and a bunch of players that would struggle to make the grade in the third tier of English football.

Stop the vitriol against DL, by all means make sensible, rational and non-personal comments, but please stop this tirade against someone who has brought some joy to the miserable bunch that call themselves Saint's supporters! cloud9.gif

You are the thick one. Lennon doesn't have Barcelona's budget. He doesn't need it, because Hearts, ICT, Ross County and Thistle don't have Real Madrid's budget. His budget is not severely constrained relative to those clubs, and that is what he has to be judged against. We are punching below our weight, there is absolutely no doubt about it. That is what is unacceptable.

So surely Dl should be coming up with a plan to get the best out of the resources he has, like Inverness or Ross County, instead of attempting to play like Barcelona?

Absolutely correct.

I really don't buy into this "He's lost the dressing room" talk on here. Why would Newton have come back if it was so bad? I think the people stirring this are doing it for their own agenda and have no real proof.

DL's issue is the close season, what happened there? That is the real problem. He simply hasn't replaced what he got rid of so we are struggling with little options and no depth to the squad. Was this his doing or the board's or a combination? That we will probably never know.

Hard to believe we are here again it reeks of the Tom Hendrie colapse we all remember the fun that ensued after we got rid of him...

Good post.

I don't understand all these arguments of ' it's only 4 games into the season!!!!! '. as if Danny's a new manager.

Last season Terry Butcher and his ICT team took until their 8th SPL game of the season until they recorded their first win at the end of September. They began with 3 draws before losing at home to Celtic and followed that by losing away to Motherwell 4-1. They then picked up draws against both Edinburgh teams in their next 2 games. So after 7 matches, they had a grand total of 5 points out of 21, they had conceded 16 goals in those games and hadn't managed 1 clean sheet and had twice conceded 4 goals, and all this was after a close season where Butcher had decided to clear out a lot of the old guard and bring in new faces (many of whom were untested at SPL level). I'm sure there were many unhappy ICT fans complaining about Butcher's unfair treatment of the old guard,moaning about the new signings not being up to scratch and pointing out that Butcher was hardly a new manager and that his managerial record was pretty patchy... perhaps there were even some ICT fans like Lex,posting on what was an acceptable points tally after 7 games, many of them against beatable opponents! After a slow start ICT went on take 49 points from their remaining 31 games and had their highest ever top flight finish, only missing out on a European spot on the last day of the season.

If ICT are one example of a team who had a slow start, I could also offer you Ross County (11th in January, 5th in May), there were also teams who got off to a flying start and were briefly considered (cough) title challengers based on their form in the first few months... I give you Aberdeen and Hibs, 2 top 6 clubs who er finished outside the top 6.

Getting back to Danny Lennon and St Mirren then, Danny has given us our highest ever SPL finish (8th) 2 seasons ago with our biggest points tally in the SPL and most goals scored. Last season he was 2 results away from bettering that points total and although we finished 11th the table was very tight, and we only just missed out on making the top 6, with the split coming just after we had our LC and SC cup runs to distract us. Points-wise we were closer to Dundee United in 6th than relegated Dundee. This year I think we should keep the faith with Danny as he has held on to many (but not all) of our best players from the last couple of seasons: Goodwin, Teale, McGowan, McLean, McGinn, Thompson, Newton. He has brought in 2 good players who are proven as decent SPL players in Harkins and Grainger, and has now brought in Caprice who may add competition for DVZ at right back and also offer us options as a wide player on either flank. I don't think those players have become bad players over night, and I don't think Danny has become a bad manager over night either.

One of the main differences I detect between our 1987/88 league campaign under Alex Smith and the start of this season is I don't remember many St Mirren fans almost willing the team to fail so that we could bag a supposedly 'clueless' manager.

Last season Terry Butcher and his ICT team took until their 8th SPL game of the season until they recorded their first win at the end of September. They began with 3 draws before losing at home to Celtic and followed that by losing away to Motherwell 4-1. They then picked up draws against both Edinburgh teams in their next 2 games. So after 7 matches, they had a grand total of 5 points out of 21, they had conceded 16 goals in those games and hadn't managed 1 clean sheet and had twice conceded 4 goals, and all this was after a close season where Butcher had decided to clear out a lot of the old guard and bring in new faces (many of whom were untested at SPL level). I'm sure there were many unhappy ICT fans complaining about Butcher's unfair treatment of the old guard,moaning about the new signings not being up to scratch and pointing out that Butcher was hardly a new manager and that his managerial record was pretty patchy... perhaps there were even some ICT fans like Lex,posting on what was an acceptable points tally after 7 games, many of them against beatable opponents! After a slow start ICT went on take 49 points from their remaining 31 games and had their highest ever top flight finish, only missing out on a European spot on the last day of the season.

If ICT are one example of a team who had a slow start, I could also offer you Ross County (11th in January, 5th in May), there were also teams who got off to a flying start and were briefly considered (cough) title challengers based on their form in the first few months... I give you Aberdeen and Hibs, 2 top 6 clubs who er finished outside the top 6.

Getting back to Danny Lennon and St Mirren then, Danny has given us our highest ever SPL finish (8th) 2 seasons ago with our biggest points tally in the SPL and most goals scored. Last season he was 2 results away from bettering that points total and although we finished 11th the table was very tight, and we only just missed out on making the top 6, with the split coming just after we had our LC and SC cup runs to distract us. Points-wise we were closer to Dundee United in 6th than relegated Dundee. This year I think we should keep the faith with Danny as he has held on to many (but not all) of our best players from the last couple of seasons: Goodwin, Teale, McGowan, McLean, McGinn, Thompson, Newton. He has brought in 2 good players who are proven as decent SPL players in Harkins and Grainger, and has now brought in Caprice who may add competition for DVZ at right back and also offer us options as a wide player on either flank. I don't think those players have become bad players over night, and I don't think Danny has become a bad manager over night either.

One of the main differences I detect between our 1987/88 league campaign under Alex Smith and the start of this season is I don't remember many St Mirren fans almost willing the team to fail so that we could bag a supposedly 'clueless' manager.

Talk about completely missing the point. Terry Butcher had won the SFL with Caley a couple of seasons earlier and had kept them up in consecutive seasons. He never needed a good start, even still, there were plenty of Caley fans on his back this time last year.

This pressure on Danny is not the result of 4 games worth of poor results, it's the result of more than 6 months of terrible league performances.

Talk about completely missing the point. Terry Butcher had won the SFL with Caley a couple of seasons earlier and had kept them up in consecutive seasons. He never needed a good start, even still, there were plenty of Caley fans on his back this time last year.

This pressure on Danny is not the result of 4 games worth of poor results, it's the result of more than 6 months of terrible league performances.

...and a League Cup win...

2 weeks ago you berated fans calling for DL's head this early in the season. 1 league game later and you are convinced his time is up? Killie did dominate the last 25 minutes of the first half but did so without testing Cornell in the process. By the time half time was reached it was us who had the best chances of the (mediocre) first half. The start of the second half before Boyd's goal and ordering off was a lot more open. We had stopped hoofing the ball up the park and begun to pass and play our midfield into the game again and McGowan began sparking things and we had a few decent chances either side of their goal.

It's not about the results or the poor start though. Of course you don't sack a manager after a couple of early defeats. However, the evidence is there in black and white that we will not have a revivial like ICT did. Perhaps their new players simply needed time to bed in. We, on the other hand, have a weak defence which has not been strengthened since last year (at best Grainger is a like for like replacement for Dummet), and an already weak attack which has been considerably weakened over the summer. Harkins is obviously a good signing in theory, but for a position that we did not need to strengthen and it gives us a headache to try and fit him and McGowan into the team. I think it is clear that we are now weaker in the goalkeeping position too, although Cornell will hopefully improve with experience.

That woeful budget management is what will lead to Lennon being sacked, although I don't think there is any chance of it before January at the earliest. I'm sure by then we will still be in touch at the bottom at least, given Hearts' points deduction. Those who are basing their opinion on results are citing results in the whole of 2013 in any case, so it's simply not a counter argument to say talk about ICT's poor start last year.

What happens when Thompson gets injured/suspended/loses form ? That will be the time to really panic.

6 months of terrible league performances where we beat SPL teams St Johnstone, Aberdeen ,Hearts and Celtic in the cups. In the summer we cleared out fringe players to try and strengthen...we lost Samson and a few loan players we would have loved to have kept. It looks like we have made some signings to address our weakness in the full back areas, ideally I would love to see us bring in another centre half and one more striker. I don't think we are far away from being a similar strength team to the last few seasons: i.e. we will flirt with a top 6 finish but more likely not have enough steel about us to cross that line and probably finish somewhere between 8th-11th again.

2 weeks ago you berated fans calling for DL's head this early in the season. 1 league game later and you are convinced his time is up? Killie did dominate the last 25 minutes of the first half but did so without testing Cornell in the process. By the time half time was reached it was us who had the best chances of the (mediocre) first half. The start of the second half before Boyd's goal and ordering off was a lot more open. We had stopped hoofing the ball up the park and begun to pass and play our midfield into the game again and McGowan began sparking things and we had a few decent chances either side of their goal.

When did i berate any fans for calling for his head? No idea why we are reviewing the Killie game, the Killie game is not the problem. The facts of that match are simple. Killie are a poor side - as their other results this year have shown - and we still couldn't beat them at home when they played a third of the match with ten men. Thats the facts of that game, talking about chances and the like are pretty irrelevant.

I never thought for a second we'd be this bad, I was actually going into the season relatively optimistic. But due to some terrible management on and off the pitch from Danny Lennon we have had a disastrous start to the season. It's no wonder the fans aren't happy.

It's not about the results or the poor start though. Of course you don't sack a manager after a couple of early defeats. However, the evidence is there in black and white that we will not have a revivial like ICT did. Perhaps their new players simply needed time to bed in. We, on the other hand, have a weak defence which has not been strengthened since last year (at best Grainger is a like for like replacement for Dummet), and an already weak attack which has been considerably weakened over the summer. Harkins is obviously a good signing in theory, but for a position that we did not need to strengthen and it gives us a headache to try and fit him and McGowan into the team. I think it is clear that we are now weaker in the goalkeeping position too, although Cornell will hopefully improve with experience.

That woeful budget management is what will lead to Lennon being sacked, although I don't think there is any chance of it before January at the earliest. I'm sure by then we will still be in touch at the bottom at least, given Hearts' points deduction. Those who are basing their opinion on results are citing results in the whole of 2013 in any case, so it's simply not a counter argument to say talk about ICT's poor start last year.

What happens when Thompson gets injured/suspended/loses form ? That will be the time to really panic.

In the post you quoted I gave 4 examples out of 12 teams of clubs whose start to the season did not reflect where they finished in the league at the end of the season. That was the main point I was making about our start... we have probably 6 decent players from last year's starting XI still with us,and another decent attacking midfielder,as well, we have a new decent left back, McGregor has still to prove himself after his injuries but could add to the strength of last year's starting XI, we have some so-so members of last year's team still with us (DVZ, Cheesy) who will probably be a similar standard to last year and this is why I amnot feeling that we have suddenly nose-dived in the estimation of the Lex brigade from dead certs for the top 6 (due to chaos at all other SPL clubs close season) to hot favourites for the drop and bound to be behind Hearts by the end of September!

Its time for the players to roll up their sleeves and grind out some wins and draws and time for the fans to get behind the manager and the team instead of hoping DL is removed unless we win the next 2 games /1 game.

6 months of terrible league performances where we beat SPL teams St Johnstone, Aberdeen ,Hearts and Celtic in the cups. In the summer we cleared out fringe players to try and strengthen...we lost Samson and a few loan players we would have loved to have kept. It looks like we have made some signings to address our weakness in the full back areas, ideally I would love to see us bring in another centre half and one more striker. I don't think we are far away from being a similar strength team to the last few seasons: i.e. we will flirt with a top 6 finish but more likely not have enough steel about us to cross that line and probably finish somewhere between 8th-11th again.

We beat Aberdeen in the cup in October, and we beat Celtic in January, so neither of them are in the last 6 months, so both are irrelevant to the point. We had a good cup run, no one will ever dispute that. That run showed how good we can be, why then, did we finish 11th? Mismanagement.

This season the squad is far poorer than the squad that finished 11th, not only that but the league is stronger, we don't have the second placed SFL team in the league to save us this year. So if Danny finishes 11th with a strong squad in a weak league, where is he going to finish with a weaker squad in a stronger league? I dread to think, the way things are going Hearts will have over taken us by Christmas.

When did i berate any fans for calling for his head? No idea why we are reviewing the Killie game, the Killie game is not the problem. The facts of that match are simple. Killie are a poor side - as their other results this year have shown - and we still couldn't beat them at home when they played a third of the match with ten men. Thats the facts of that game, talking about chances and the like are pretty irrelevant.

I never thought for a second we'd be this bad, I was actually going into the season relatively optimistic. But due to some terrible management on and off the pitch from Danny Lennon we have had a disastrous start to the season. It's no wonder the fans aren't happy.

It's a reply to a post by Lochwinnoch Saint.Hope this helps... his post mentioned the Killie game and I answered his post with some observations about that game. Hope this helps.

Getting back to Danny Lennon and St Mirren then, Danny has given us our highest ever SPL finish (8th) 2 seasons ago with our biggest points tally in the SPL and most goals scored.

Last season he was 2 results away from bettering that points total and although we finished 11th the table was very tight,

Yes, DL achieved our highest SPL finish... but it needs to be remembered that when he arrived at St. Mirren we had just finished in our highest ever SPL finish!

All he actually did was finish 2 places higher than the position he inherited... and he did in a season where a piss poor Dunfermline side was stranded at the bottom which ensured there was no battle against relegation meaning there was no proper competition at the bottom.

He's had 3 seasons in the SPL now and he's finished below the position he inherited twice!

And last season we finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club... our worst top flight finish in 40 years!

Why are we much weaker this season than last season? In defence,we still have DVZ at right back, with an out-injured Barron as cover. We have Cheesy and Goodwin playing in central defence as they did from November onwards, with Lee Mair out the team as he was from November onwards, McGregor back in contention for a place again (unlike last season). Danny Grainger has replaced Paul Dummett at left back. In the midfield we have McGowan, Newton, Robertson, McLean, McGinn, and Teale from last year's squad and have added Harkins and still have the possibility of moving Goodwin / McGregor into midfield from defence, and Caprice can operate on either wing or give DVZ competition at right back. Up front our main striker remains Thompson and we have lost Parkin and Guy... Reilly can hopefully stay injury free and prove he is a better player than either of those 2 and we are working on bringing in 2 strikers on loan.

We've lost Goncalves (what did he ever do for us in the league after his first few games?!), we've lost Carey and Imrie- 2 players where the best that can be said about them is DL never got the best out of them / played them in their best position meaning that this year we will miss out on them being unhappy at just being squad players and getting the odd game out of position. (Huge loss!) We've lost Samson but then again BAWA supporters reckon he should have been dropped October / November and April / May.

And last season we finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club... our worst top flight finish in 40 years!

I am obviously a bit of a thick bastard. Please explain how last season was our worst top flight finish in 40 years when in the last 23 years we have finished bottom of the top flight 3 times. Last seasons league campaign wasn't great but there has been worse, surely?

when I saw the title I thought that wee fud from the east end of glasgow had left the closet!

I think we have to keep faith in the management till december at least as has been said before not much time for a new man to get players in at least if Danny hasn't stopped the rot by december a new man would have a few weeks to identify players they would like before the window opens.

I also think the abuse leveled at Danny is a little unfair I am sure he isn't going out his way to get shit results we as supporters should be doing just that and supporting each and every member of the St. Mirren family we are all part of that family

KTF

Thought rather than let recent results cloud my judgement I'd look at Saints League Form under Danny Lennon.

Quite surprised that in 3 seasons 117 games we'd only won by 2 goals on 9 occasions.

It's not great reading.

post-2667-0-86098000-1377697235_thumb.jp

home wins by 2 or more (6)
away wins by 2 or more (3)

home losses by 2 or more (9)
away losses by 2 or more (15)

Edited by Katie Bear