Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

Tell you what though. On a serious note, if the BOD do sack Danny this week (as predicted in the papers), they would genuinely need to explain where they found the money from when Danny couldn't apparently get enough cash together to buy the players he wanted.

I think as fans that would be the minimum that we'd deserve from them.

If the BOD sack Danny this week I won't be questioning anything! The minimum we deserve as fans is a team that look proud to wear those black and white stripes and put some effort in. We may get that with a change of manager.

If the BOD sack Danny this week I won't be questioning anything! The minimum we deserve as fans is a team that look proud to wear those black and white stripes and put some effort in. We may get that with a change of manager.

Genuine question....

Who do you think could come in and instil that sense of pride?

I just don't know who the club could be looking at.

Money will feature. Danny was a relatively inexpensive option, I believe, so who could we bring in on comparable wages who we might anticipate could turn things around?

This is perhaps my biggest issue with Danny being bagged. It isn't enough to say that anything would be better because that simply isn't the case. We need progress and improvement, or change would be pointless.

Genuine question....

Money will feature. Danny was a relatively inexpensive option, I believe, so who could we bring in on comparable wages who we might anticipate could turn things around?

This is perhaps my biggest issue with Danny being bagged. It isn't enough to say that anything would be better because that simply isn't the case. We need progress and improvement, or change would be pointless.

Paul Sturrock could do a job and mentor a younger assistant to take over in a few years.

Good question. Oaky?

The maths is pretty simple Lex.

If there's enough money to spend on another manager or a sacking then that's money which could have been spent on another player.

The question then remains one of explanation of why that money wasn't spent on players. It was either Danny not spending it or the BOD not giving him it.

Either way, season ticket holders should be told why the promised budget increase didn't result in a stronger squad than the one we have.

Genuine question....

I think we need to stop regressing. We were 8th two seasons ago, 11th last year and we are currently 12th on points earned this year. However you look it, we are going backwards in the league, and this is something that needs to stop. There's plenty of options out there. We could go the inexperienced lower league manager again ( Hartley, Cameron ((both of whom have achieved more in the lower leagues than Danny did)) ) or the experienced proven SPL campaigner ( Levein, Houston )

The point is Danny's had plenty of time (3rd longest serving manager in the league) to make us a consistently better team and he just hasn't managed to do it. The results in the last month have just confirmed that. He's had his turn, now it's someone elses

The cup win means he will retain legendary status at the football club. He can leave now with his head held high and his managerial stock relatively unblemished. If he lets it drag on it may become another Hendrie/Fitzy departure which would leave bitter taste left in everyones mouth. That's the last thing anybody wants, therefore it's best for all parties to move on now.

Genuine question....

The problem with asking that question, Drew, is that nobody knows the answer. If anyone on here knew the right man for a job like this they'd be a very rich person themselves in advising football clubs on their next moves.

We shouldn't use an apparent lack of other options as an excuse to keep Danny on. He's had his chance, his time has come. He hasn't taken us forward (league wise) in more than three years despite others on a similar level doing otherwise.

Danny was the right appointment for this job for half a season (2011/12) when we played our best football in years, and for two days in February and March this year. Otherwise, I've never believed he was the man to make us a top-six outfit. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, though.

Who comes in? Who knows. I don't think many Saints fans can answer that. We don't have the knowledge behind us from people inside the game as to who's done well where. Guys like Hartley look good on paper, but I've never seen him performing as a manager and I've never seen one of his teams play, so it's impossible to promote him or anyone similar as a possible replacement.

I accept that change for change's sake is not an option, because it has to be the right man for the job. But surely it's not beyond us to find that right man. At the end of the day, both Gus and Danny will go down in Saints history books as successful managers, to a certain degree - Gus for getting us promotion and keeping us up in his first year, and Danny for the cup win. So you have to say that the BOD has got its last two appointments right, in some respects. We have to trust that they'll do the right thing, should Danny depart. I think they made the right call last time on the timing of Gus's departure and I get a feeling that now is the right time for Danny's. We need some fresh ideas and I'm sure there are dozens of potential managers out there whose ideas would work here. With the Hearts situation as it is, we do have something of a safety net - though we can't become complacent about that. The time is now to bite the bullet and make the change before it gets too late.

Players know nothing about budgets, it's confidential.

The most secretive government documents are intended to be confidential but people still talk and discuss things and information is still leaked. In a relatively small and tight-knit workplace like a football club, people are going to hear whispers and rumours and people are going to leak information they perhaps shouldn't. Posters on here might be talking shite but how are you or anyone else in a position to claim they're wrong? It's very conceivable that Danny hasn't used his full budget - it's not like they're making some outlandish claims about things here. Considering Div revealed that the club may still bring in more new faces after we'd signed the new French striker, there is every chance there was more money left in the budget.

The record in the league means his position has become untenable. The home form is atrocious no matter how you look at it. The team performance is rotten and its not as if we have a particularly poor side either, it shouldn't be grubbing around the way it is. The team selection is wonky and the treatment of some of the players has been extremly dubious, particularly one or two of the senior ones. No idea why the likes of Mair has been treated like this, he made it clear he wanted to hang around and now he's frozen out in spite of the defence looking less than solid. There could well be stuff going on we dont know about but from the outside it looks poor.

Maybe a new manager will make better use of this squad. Maybe not. But it feels like its all over for him. A shame, I liked him fine, he did deliver a very rare bit of success but the bread and butter stuff has been a shocker. I don't feel very exercised about this one way or another really, almost feels like I dont care and I havent felt like this about football before. Maybe a new guy will freshen it all up again, but it will be tough for them to wait until the transfer window to try and shuffle things if they want to. The club feels like its bobbing around in the water just now. We might go down, we might not, but this decision will affect the club for a year or more and it needs to be done right and not in a panic.

The maths is pretty simple Lex.

If there's enough money to spend on another manager or a sacking then that's money which could have been spent on another player.

The question then remains one of explanation of why that money wasn't spent on players. It was either Danny not spending it or the BOD not giving him it.

Either way, season ticket holders should be told why the promised budget increase didn't result in a stronger squad than the one we have.

I agree with this. I have been saying all window that the BoD or the manager needs to come out and clarify the budget situation. When a managers budget has been cut normally the manager and/or board will be saying it in all media outlets available. How often do you hear managers of other sides saying ' we are working with a much reduced budget this year ' or similar. All the time. Danny has never said that, and if he had been i believe he would have. It would have provided a decent excuse for our recent performances in his post match interviews:

' I understand the fans frustration, but i hope they understand that my playing budget has been cut by 'x' this year and it's making things very difficult '

Fair enough. The fact that he hasn't said this makes me think his budget hasn't been cut at all. Noises coming out the camp would also seem to suggest this is the case.

Genuine question....

Drew, in all honesty, I don't know, but as others have said, just because an obvious replacement isn't waiting in the wings doesn't mean we need to put up with the current shambles.

I've been trying to think whether we have an opportunity to have someone promoted from within on an interim basis until say xmas (or the end of the season) to try and steady the ship and then take stock of things next summer (and see who may be available). Problem is, Tommy Craig is the only option unless we try an experienced player manager situation (or duo) which would, I think, have an adverse effect on their on the pitch performances and would be very very risky.

From what everyone says, Tommy Craig is very accomplished as a coach and well respected by the players - could he do the job (to let his ideas come to the fore, not Danny's)? He's been 1st team coach at Newcastle and Assistant Manager at 3 big clubs - Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs so has good experience. But then, if Danny is sacked will he be binned too as he is part of the management team? If not, will he walk anyway as a sign of loyalty to Danny? Is our current failure as much down to him, as Danny, in which case he shouldn't be retained as we would still have the same problems?

I really don't know, but the decision isn't down to me (thankfully) - its down to the BOD who are "football men" and hopefully have some good ideas if they do decide to sack Danny.

Apart from the glorious silverware the one positive thing about DL's tenure has been the 'passing' experiment. Praised by our fans and the media we really looked to be going places for a while. At times this was really good to watch, but most of the time it took place in our own half, passing the ball across the field and going nowhere. Ultimately the tangible success of the passing game was negligible. Opponents grew to understand how to play against this style and suddenly we were just Fancy Dans holding possession and achieving absolutely nothing. The passing experiment now appears to have been binned and on Saturday against Thistle we resorted to Gus's 'long ball' game. Not only was this ploy utterly unsuccessful it was as dull as ditchwater for the spectators. Actually it was embarrassing to watch. Desparation has taken over from tactics and enough is enough.