Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

Despite the fact all the keyboard managers assured us that long ball was the answer, and the best way to play!

Part of the thinking behind the long ball game is getting the ball upfield quickly, sadly waiting till the opposition defence is back in place like we did against Thistle before playing the ball long is getting the worst of both worlds. Also if we're going to use it tactically the ball has to be aimed at Thompson, despite being a being a big lad Bahoken like most continental players doesn't seem to relish this style of play. It's not the theory that's at fault - it the manager who lacks the nous to apply it properly.

Part of the thinking behind the long ball game is getting the ball upfield quickly, sadly waiting till the opposition defence is back in place like we did against Thistle before playing the ball long is getting the worst of both worlds. Also if we're going to use it tactically the ball has to be aimed at Thompson, despite being a being a big lad Bahoken like most continental players doesn't seem to relish this style of play. It's not the theory that's at fault - it the manager who lacks the nous to apply it properly.

No matter who the personnel are, using the long ball as your only out is as likely to have long term success as "tippy tappy" football. At least with the latter there is room for manouvre as you can move it quickly causing your opponents to run out of position. A mobile forward can then find space for the final incisive pass. For this to be successful we need to ensure there is always at least two options for a pass. Triangles, (or diamonds), all over the park.

We need to employ both at different times in a game to keep the opposition on the back foot.

Edited by stlucifer

No matter who the personnel are, using the long ball as your only out is as likely to have long term success as "tippy tappy" football. At least with the latter there is room for manouvre as you can move it quickly causing your opponents to run out of position. A mobile forward can then find space for the final incisive pass. For this to be successful we need to ensure there is always at least two options for a pass. Triangles, (or diamonds), all over the park.

We need to employ both at different times in a game to keep the opposition on the back foot.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that we need to mix tactics up throughout the game but I'll challenge what you're saying about Saints and most other lower level SPL teams ability to play the passing game (tippy-tappy football) retaining possession and manouvering the ball quickly enough to cause opponents to "run out of position" on a regular basis - more often than not we see the team trying to retain possession getting into difficulty and then losing possession or having to punt the ball wildly upfield or out of play. My main point in the previous post is that to be effective the long ball has to be played early to players who are willing to challenge for it.

That's what league football has always been about - how you fare compared with other teams.

Maybe perversely I'm reasonably sanguine atm as I feel this is as bad as it can get yet we're still in touch with Killie & above Hearts and we've gotta improve at some point - haven't we? bag.gif

Wise words which were posted prior to the Aberdeen game!

Edited by Bud the Baker

I felt that playing the wrong players in the wrong position wasn't DL's best decision. Why did it take him so long to see it, did he see it or was it down to injuries?

Anyway, he's got it right in the last 2 games. If he now goes on to change things in the next few games and we lose - bye bye.

This win was more down to circumstances than tactical nounce in my opinion.

Hearts and Killie will likely lose at the weekend providing us with a sort of "free game" on Monday night where the pressure will, to a certain extent, be off. Hopefully that will give us the boost we need to relax and play the sort of football we know this team has in them. 4 points from the next two games and the world will seem a better place.COYS!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The squad is below average though. The worst in the Scottish Premiership - the statistics aren't lying on that front.

When teams are low in confidence managers generally work on keeping things tight at the back. It's generally easier to play not to concede a goal than it is to score one - but St Mirren don't have the kind of players you would back to do that ever. McAusland and Goodwin as a central defensive pairing are woeful and when your only choice is from one of two less than capable goalkeepers in behind them you're going to lose goals big time. Add to that the fact that Grainger is worse than a man short at the moment and that you don't have a single ball winner in midfield and you can see the predicament. How can any manager turn that squad of players around?

I'll repeat my disagreement of your assessment of our squad - the main problem is the manager's flawed use of it so far this season coupled with his desire to play football "the right way" and win the approval of media/pundits. My belief is either that Lennon will do as he did in his first season with Saints and move to shitfest mode or be replaced - either way I expect an improvement in our results.

It seems one of us knew what he was talking about.

It seems one of us knew what he was talking about.

Yep, one of us did. McAusland, Grainger and Goodwin come out of the defence and results improve. However even with the replacements in the team continue to ship goals. I've been out of the country and I've only flicked through the highlights of the Hearts game but it looked to me like Hearts had a barrow load of chances and their appalling finishing and even more catastrophic defending did them in. I doubt the improvement will last and that what we are in fact seeing is the phenomenon I referred to in an earlier topic about not sacking managers because it makes no difference

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Yep, one of us did. McAusland, Grainger and Goodwin come out of the defence and results improve. However even with the replacements in the team continue to ship goals. I've been out of the country and I've only flicked through the highlights of the Hearts game but it looked to me like Hearts had a barrow load of chances and their appalling finishing and even more catastrophic defending did them in. I doubt the improvement will last and that what we are in fact seeing is the phenomenon I referred to in an earlier topic about not sacking managers because it makes no difference

The usual from you Stu. IF Hearts had taken their chances............... If we hadn't taken ours.................... Had Saintees stopped us from scoring........................ IF you had the other half of your brain....................

Edited by stlucifer

So he shuffled the squad and results improved - that was my point, yours was "The squad is below average though. The worst in the Scottish Premiership"

Ship goals - in one out of the three games,

Hearts chances - when games are settled on this basis you'll have a point, until then.................

I have no idea whether the improvement in results will be sustained - 7 points from 3 games if sustained over a season would be good enough for 2nd place (indeed it would exceed Celtic's winning total last season of 79points), so probably not but again that was not what I was arguing - my claim was about "the quality of the squad, which I still reckon is average amongst the bottom feeders" and I'd say the last three results have bourn this out.

I did know what I was talking about which meant that I didn't have to make a different set of claims in my follow up post.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Does it piss off the Lennon haters that every time they crank up the Lennon Out campaign, the team turn a bad run into a good run?

Maybe next time there's a bad run, shout louder, or start more threads or start more unsubstantiated rumours, you're not doing enough hating guys!

Does it piss off the Lennon haters that every time they crank up the Lennon Out campaign, the team turn a bad run into a good run?

Maybe next time there's a bad run, shout louder, or start more threads or start more unsubstantiated rumours, you're not doing enough hating guys!

Isn't it tragic that the most outspoken slither away when we win a few games?

Surely supporters of St Mirren would put their dislike of the manager to one side and post the positives of our recent victories?

Maybe it's just coincidence? whistling.gif

Edited by faraway saint

This was a common occurrence under the previous incumbent too , he should have been gone months , if not years , before he actually pushed his luck too far. I'm confident that we are approaching the end game !

This was a common occurrence under the previous incumbent too , he should have been gone months , if not years , before he actually pushed his luck too far. I'm confident that we are approaching the end game !

Surely any future decision would be results driven?

If, and I'm first to admit it's still very early days as the last 3 games don't make up the previous lengthy poor run, we continue our recent form any new regime would be more than happy to keep the current manager?

I don't doubt that excepting either a top six finish or cup final Lennon will depart at the end of his contract / end of the season with grateful thanks from all and will for ever be a St Mirren Legend.

So Danny over to you, a sneeky wee Cup win and that should shut the boo boys up for at least a week

Isn't it tragic that the most outspoken slither away when we win a few games?

Surely supporters of St Mirren would put their dislike of the manager to one side and post the positives of our recent victories?

Maybe it's just coincidence? whistling.gif

On the contrary, all of the outspoken are still here posting away same as usual as far as I can see!

You, on the other hand, slither away in a huff after most defeats! :lol: