Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

Just some random thoughts after catching up on five pages of posts since I last read this thread:

The amount of sniping on here at the moment, coupled with the apparent humour whooshes, where the intended humour seemed obvious to me, only indicate that, at heart, we all share the same concern - our Club is seemingly heading down the toilet. Everyone is worried / concerned / shitting themselves / add your own descriptive terminolgy, but we have different ideas of what has to be done for the best. That shouldn't mean we hate, or even dislike, each other.

If some of the players are giving less than 100% in the hope that DL will be ousted, they might want to ask themselves what future they might have under a new Manager, once the transfer window opens again and he can dump who he doesn't want and bring in his own players. Just ask Paul Heffernan about how that can work.

I have my opinons, but that is all they are - opinions. I'd love to know how much, if any, of the Cup revenue went to DL. I'd love to know how his overall budget compared to previous budgets. I'd love to know what was said to Danny between seasons by the BoD. I'd love to know if it's true that DL still had a third of his budget left on Saturday night. Then, with that information, I could make an informed decision. Right now I'm left with my opinions.

Can I just add that I'd also like to know whether Cheryl Cole shaves her Seturday Sanny, but that's another discussion entirely, (though I do have an opinion).

Edited to remove the glaring typos, before the pedants move in. I really ought to read what I'm posting BEFORE I hit the button.

Edited by BAWZ

Someone said that Danny Lennon had over a 1/3rd of his budget left.

Maybe he kept that aside to pay himself off

I believe that's wide of the mark mate. I was told (from someone I trust) that prior to Caprice signing he had enough left for 2 good players wages + 1 squad player.

Not too sure how much of the remaining budget the 2 signings took up.

Edited by davidg

Poor Danny should never have led us to a cup win. The poor man had led us to believe greater things were to come. If we hadn't won the league cup the current lack of good form would not have such a major impact on people's expectations. I will never forget the euphoria of that occasion, the weeks leading up to it and the singing and dancing for weeks afterwards. Fast forward to now and we sit like men on death row, some hysterical, some accepting our fate, others trying to work out how to escape without a key. Danny is the present governor who has to be the most popular in terms of personality ever to lead our great club. Who wouldn't want him to succeed? However,nice guys rarely win things in sport. Our Danny needs to develop a ruthless streak and instil some fight into the players and stop rolling the red carpet out to the opposition. Only then will we see more fruitful results and Danny keeps his job.

My view on the whole situation is that I want Danny to turn things around, but I have serious doubts that he will be able to. The way I see things, Gus came in, got us up, kept us up, got us to a major final and proved himself able to motivate the team in crunch situations. Gus and Andy were photographed on an open top bus holding aloft three trophies won by the club in one season. This is a fact - three (count em'!) trophies. That is a good job well done.

Downside - poor communication with fans, eventually a grim trench warfare style of football, possibly poor relations with the youth set up, and the disaster endgame of the major cup final just about sealed Gus and Andy's fate.

Danny came in - so if we look at the 'downsides' of Gus' tenure, has Danny faced these and taken them on? I would suggest yes - absolutely. Communication with the fans, a concerted effort to play a more attractive style, youth getting a chance, and actually winning the self same trophy that had haunted us. He also achieved a good league finish and like Gus, kept us up. Gus has his open top three trophy photo, Danny has his open top major trophy photo - fact.

Downside? Dreadful league results, questionable squad 'rebuilding' this season, poor tactical awareness of opponents and indeed our own tactics, players out of position, and the club had delivered the new training complex, stadium, and a very decent SP(F)L squad for Danny to crack on with. I would also suggest that Danny's St Mirren are facing much weaker opponents than Gus' sides faced, and Danny has a more talented squad. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Killie, and more - not nearly as strong.

In short, I liked Gus and I genuinely like Danny. Both men have delivered success and history should judge them kindly. Between them, they took our club forward and along with the BoD also overseeing the stadium and Ralston set up, the club, IMHO should be well placed to be a club looking to be mixing it with those sniffing Europe, not mixing it with those sniffing relegation. No club has a divine right to be up the top end of the league, but I genuinely believe we can be, and maybe should be.

I think Danny has addressed the issues I'm sure the BoD asked him to, but having done that, I can see things unravelling in front of our eyes. We even regressed to pumping old school hopeful high balls to a front man thrown into the side in desperation having only arrived in the country.

Gus was a trophy winning success, Danny is a trophy winning success, and has addressed the shortcomings of Gus' stewardship. Like Gus before him though, maybe things have simply reached a time where both parties need to move on?

Folk overestimate the influence online forums have on the BoD.

Indeed, I doubt that the online forums have much influence on the BoD at all.

The real influence is with the tanked up corporate hospitality crew on a Saturday after home games. The BoD don't like turning up and getting it in the neck every second week from that lot.

And you can be guaranteed that the BoD will have been getting it in the neck from that lot...

I was in a meeting a few months ago with someone from st mirren and he had to take a call on his mobile. Conversion was about something that was said on the forums and to quote response " take it with a pinch of salt" was the reply. We than had a chat about stuff online and yes players, manager and directors do look online to see what is begin said.

My view on the whole situation is that I want Danny to turn things around, but I have serious doubts that he will be able to. The way I see things, Gus came in, got us up, kept us up, got us to a major final and proved himself able to motivate the team in crunch situations. Gus and Andy were photographed on an open top bus holding aloft three trophies won by the club in one season. This is a fact - three (count em'!) trophies. That is a good job well done.

Downside - poor communication with fans, eventually a grim trench warfare style of football, possibly poor relations with the youth set up, and the disaster endgame of the major cup final just about sealed Gus and Andy's fate.

Danny came in - so if we look at the 'downsides' of Gus' tenure, has Danny faced these and taken them on? I would suggest yes - absolutely. Communication with the fans, a concerted effort to play a more attractive style, youth getting a chance, and actually winning the self same trophy that had haunted us. He also achieved a good league finish and like Gus, kept us up. Gus has his open top three trophy photo, Danny has his open top major trophy photo - fact.

Downside? Dreadful league results, questionable squad 'rebuilding' this season, poor tactical awareness of opponents and indeed our own tactics, players out of position, and the club had delivered the new training complex, stadium, and a very decent SP(F)L squad for Danny to crack on with. I would also suggest that Danny's St Mirren are facing much weaker opponents than Gus' sides faced, and Danny has a more talented squad. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Killie, and more - not nearly as strong.

In short, I liked Gus and I genuinely like Danny. Both men have delivered success and history should judge them kindly. Between them, they took our club forward and along with the BoD also overseeing the stadium and Ralston set up, the club, IMHO should be well placed to be a club looking to be mixing it with those sniffing Europe, not mixing it with those sniffing relegation. No club has a divine right to be up the top end of the league, but I genuinely believe we can be, and maybe should be.

I think Danny has addressed the issues I'm sure the BoD asked him to, but having done that, I can see things unravelling in front of our eyes. We even regressed to pumping old school hopeful high balls to a front man thrown into the side in desperation having only arrived in the country.

Gus was a trophy winning success, Danny is a trophy winning success, and has addressed the shortcomings of Gus' stewardship. Like Gus before him though, maybe things have simply reached a time where both parties need to move on?

A well thought through summation of where we were, where we are now, and how we got to this point. I concur that our BoD have excelled by putting in place an infrastructure for Gus/Danny that will be the envy of many other clubs, and also that DL is facing weaker opponents than Gus faced. In fact, nothing at all that I disagree with, Paul.

I read all that and it reminds me that, despite all the current doom and gloom, the last 8 or 9 years have actually been a pretty good period in the club's history.

We've not reached the regulars in Europe and top half of the Premier League status of the early 80s (probably the most successful period in the club's history?) but we're not struggling towards the bottom of the First Division the way we did for a good part of the 90s.

From Twitter;

Alan Gallacher@Gally8719m

All sorts of stories flying around abiut the buddies right now, a lot of which are best rubbish. Tried to find out what is fact or fiction.

Unofficially, there seems to have been a sports psychologist brought in which for various reasons had the opposite impact it was supposed to

A three-man committee of players met the chairman to discuss the situation. My understanding is the manager will get at least the next game

Had both confirmed by someone at the club. Person also dispelled numerous rumours as garbage. Take from it what you will

I read all that and it reminds me that, despite all the current doom and gloom, the last 8 or 9 years have actually been a pretty good period in the club's history.

We've not reached the regulars in Europe and top half of the Premier League status of the early 80s (probably the most successful period in the club's history?) but we're not struggling towards the bottom of the First Division the way we did for a good part of the 90s.

Very decent point there. I've almost forgotten we used to be in the 1st division.

Years and years and years of wondering if we'll ever get out of it again in the upwards direction and almost ending up in the 2nd.

Horrible days.

The last 9 years have seen us lift 3 trophies.

My previous 35 years saw us lift just 2 ?

From Twitter;

Alan Gallacher@Gally8719m

All sorts of stories flying around abiut the buddies right now, a lot of which are best rubbish. Tried to find out what is fact or fiction.

Unofficially, there seems to have been a sports psychologist brought in which for various reasons had the opposite impact it was supposed to

A three-man committee of players met the chairman to discuss the situation. My understanding is the manager will get at least the next game

Had both confirmed by someone at the club. Person also dispelled numerous rumours as garbage. Take from it what you will

This is the same Alan Gallacher who called Saints Legend Fitzpatrick a "trumpet".

Yet another in a long line of "fans" who desperately want to be important newsbearers.

As fans we just don't need to hear about this sort of trivial shite.

It happens at EVERY club in the country and it's irrelevant unless you are trying to warp the facts to suit an agenda.

Gallacher needs to get a life, get a girlfriend or whatever.

We'll know soon enough if Danny is leaving.

I prefer facts to rumour and pish.

Perfect summation.

A few things are starting to become pretty clear.

Firstly, as someone else said (Poz?), the board appear to be split on the issue. I'm basing this purely on the sheer volume of people who are being told different things depending on which director they talk to. At least 4 trustworthy people (Div, Graeme MacPherson, Douglas McNeil and Chic Young) have made it pretty obvious that their source is a director but they are all saying conflicting things.

Secondly, it appears that individual board members are talking to people outside the club. IF this is true, you'd have to question why they would do this? Quite apart from the fact that mixed messages confuse the support and undermine the manager, it gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the entire board as a group look like incompetent media whores who are all squabbling over who gets to talk to the famous Chic Young.

Of course this could all be pish. Div and the others could be getting their information from the cleaner but I would say that if there is any truth in this then the boaord members need to make a group decision about Danny, stick to it as part of accepting the democratic process and then stay on message because to do otherwise will damage the team.

Our club is now being undermined and this goes beyond the manager. We either have board members deliberately trying to shaft each other in public OR it's just fans with an agenda making up shit.

Whoever it is, our club is being damaged by our own people and those folk need to f**king stop it now.

On this point Poz.

IF Gus' team hadn't capitulated to 9 men, do you not think he would have been given a little more leeway the following season?

Its hilarious to read posts on here insinuating that the fans are effectively to blame for the shite results! lol.gif:

The shite results are down to Lennon's loony tactics. End of!

The crucial thing for me is that when Lennon goes that Tommy Craig goes with him. Its been quite clear from day 1 that Lennon has had his strings pulled by his assistant. It was Jenkins in season 1 and Craig since then. They have been the "brains" behind Lennon.

Unfortunately these "brains" have had a lobotomy!

Oh dear, getting to you? blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Posting more nonsense than usual. 1eye.gif