Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

Yes, but then as a Killie fan you'd have been impressed by Wimbledon's passing and moving.

Talking of Wimbledon, Murzos form since then has been an absolute disgrace.

I hope wee clueless Len(dl)zo gets his jotters before the world tour finals in November.

I think if a St Mirren manager had defeated an Old Firm club in a major final, then yes, he would have been given more time. I'm pretty sure that would apply to anyone in the hotseat at that time... unless they were subsequently guilty of gross misconduct, getting hammered and landing a left hook on a director's jaw or something. On purely footballing issues though, yes, I think any manager would have earned themselves a wee supply of extra goodwill in the St Mirren tank.

I really struggle with this one. I think we were on a hiding to nothing when they went down to 9 men. What if we had won? It would be forever tainted with the "you only beat 9 men" thoughts at the back of all our minds.

We lost. Gus went. Danny came in and we won the same trophy 3 years later after 5 excellent games, each of which we thoroughly deserved to win. A complete, deserved acheivement that forever trumps the 2010 debacle. None of this is of any relevance to where we are right now, of course, but it is a wonderful redemption story that I'm happy to relive from time to time, and talk about to anyone who will listen, for the rest of my life.

I'd have taken the win in 2010 of course. But what we got from losing, turned out so much better. Its the kind of thing that never happens to us. But it did.

I really struggle with this one. I think we were on a hiding to nothing when they went down to 9 men. What if we had won? It would be forever tainted with the "you only beat 9 men" thoughts at the back of all our minds.

We lost. Gus went. Danny came in and we won the same trophy 3 years later after 5 excellent games, each of which we thoroughly deserved to win. A complete, deserved acheivement that forever trumps the 2010 debacle. None of this is of any relevance to where we are right now, of course, but it is a wonderful redemption story that I'm happy to relive from time to time, and talk about to anyone who will listen, for the rest of my life.

I'd have taken the win in 2010 of course. But what we got from losing, turned out so much better. Its the kind of thing that never happens to us. But it did.

Amen to that!

Great post - couldn't agree more.

Indeed, the usual story for us would have been either one of three:

- Goncalves being a dud

- McLean being fit, thus retaining our "identity" against Celtic

- Hearts putting away their chances in the first half hour of the Final

We just don't do bossing Celtic in midfield, breakaway goals or goals straight after half-time.

He was 21. Why were you embarrassed?

He was 21, you were correct. However, 16, 21 or 41, there was no excuse for what happened to him at Love Street that night.

"While playing for Feyenoord at St Mirren in September 1983 he was racially abused and spat on by Scottish supporters.Gullit called it "the saddest night of my life""

Words emboldened by me. If my embarrassment needs further explanation I'd be surpised.

He was 21, you were correct. However, 16, 21 or 41, there was no excuse for what happened to him at Love Street that night.

"While playing for Feyenoord at St Mirren in September 1983 he was racially abused and spat on by Scottish supporters.Gullit called it "the saddest night of my life""

Words emboldened by me. If my embarrassment needs further explanation I'd be surpised.

I thought that was probably what you were meaning. I was also at that game, and I honestly don't remember the alleged racist chanting or the spitting incident. I also don't remember any fuss being made about it at the time. As far as I recall, this only became public when he wrote his autobiography. I fully accept that my memory could be playing tricks on me and that it may have taken place and been published at the time.

However, I often get suspicious of these claims of racism. They can be genuine and, where that's the case, it's intolerable for anyone to suffer abuse from idiots. But there are other cases, like our supposed racist abuse of James McCarthy for being "Irish"' or the Scotland fans booing Neymar because he's black. Just because its claimed it doesn't always follow that it actually happened.

just heard wee danny compairing himself to Fergie, I was firmly in the keep Danny for a few months and see if he can turn things around now I just think he should go asap

What came out of the recent happenings was the fact that a lot of saints fans got sick of him talking shite in interviews, he seems to still be at it and hasn't picked up on and learned from this.

I hope some of the saints fans put a flee in his ear on that golf day.

Erm don't see it that way, we blew a great chance to win a major trophy (something that's only happened twice in my lifetime - I may be senile before it happens again) it took the Christmas Eve victory over them when the were also down to 9 men before I could get some perspective on the League Cup final defeat.

I thought that was probably what you were meaning. I was also at that game, and I honestly don't remember the alleged racist chanting or the spitting incident. I also don't remember any fuss being made about it at the time. As far as I recall, this only became public when he wrote his autobiography. I fully accept that my memory could be playing tricks on me and that it may have taken place and been published at the time.

However, I often get suspicious of these claims of racism. They can be genuine and, where that's the case, it's intolerable for anyone to suffer abuse from idiots. But there are other cases, like our supposed racist abuse of James McCarthy for being "Irish"' or the Scotland fans booing Neymar because he's black. Just because its claimed it doesn't always follow that it actually happened.

I remember Gullit got a deal of booing that night because at their goal he used his upper body strength (he was a big lad) to back into our defender which we felt was a foul at the time - who knows maybe some folk went too far and abused him racially and spat at him but all that came out years later. The thing that strikes me as odd is that Gullit says that night at Love St. was the worst of his career - Dutch football in the late 70's/early 80's was not free of racism and many of the fans in Italy are openly racist , perhaps it was all a bit more up close and personal that night. Anyway although I joined in the boos I didn't make any chants or noises that were racist and don't feel embarrassed, it wouldn't be the only time that booing boo-sign.gif a player for an onfield incident has lead to accusations of racism being levelled at Saints fans, but what I really remember about that game was at full time their fans charged onto the pitch and looked intent on having a fight. boxing.gif

It was some Feyenoord side we faced that night.

They won the Dutch League & Cup double that season and Johan Cryuff won the Dutch Player of the Year in his last season.

They only managed to beat us at Love Street via a last minute own goal IIRC.

They scored in the first half with a heavy deflected goal.

St Mirren had a weaked team that night but played them off the park in the second half.

Guillit did get monkey noises chanted at him but he didn't get spat on.

I mind their fans who were in the Main Stand and enclosure at Full time coming on the pitch looking for a fight

They scored in the first half with a heavy deflected goal.

St Mirren had a weaked team that night but played them off the park in the second half.

Guillit did get monkey noises chanted at him but he didn't get spat on.

I mind their fans who were in the Main Stand and enclosure at Full time coming on the pitch looking for a fight

There was a fair amount of boxing in the street after that game, and plently of niggle beforehand. Their fans were largely a shower of wankers.

Did they come and have a go with the North Bank Aggro ?

Did they go home in a Paisley Ambulance ?

Who won ?

In the return in Rotterdam, we had to walk through a fenced off 'corridor' to get in to the ground, and there was a fair amount of aggro coming from their fans including spitting. Inside the ground, however, there was only one guy looking for a fight, and he was a Saints fan!

I wonder if his son now sits in W1.

I recall most of the booing that night was for the challenge from Gullit leading up to the Feyenoord Goal. Perhaps there were some afters as regards to a few making daft noises, but from what i can remember it seems to me the whole episode was largely over exagerated.

As a youngster in the northbank i really cant recall anyone around us at the time, either spitting or shouting racist abuse.

Then again most of my memories from that time seem clouded as the football on view was the best of a generation.

Edited by class of 76-77