Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

No you don't - you've got a really poor squad from what I've seen this season. Your goalkeepers are below average for the division, your defence is a mess - particularly on the left where Grainger is a shadow of how he used to be. Your midfield looks lightweight at best and completely unbalanced. And your attack is so toothless it could be sponsored by Steradent.

Someone at the club took a gamble this season and decided that with Hearts being so far behind that the club could "get away" with weakening the squad and pushing youths into the first team. It hasn't worked and the person culpable is where the buck should stop. Put it this way BtB, do you really believe that if St Mirren sack Lennon that suddenly the club will go on a long undefeated run?

We'll disagree on the quality of the squad, which I still reckon is average amongst the bottom feeders, not better, so why would I think we would suddenly go on a long undefeated run?

Even if you're right about the club taking a gamble on Hearts being certainties for relegation you're a bit premature in your prediction - remember 2006/07 and your erstwhile hero (the never to be future manager of Celtic) Stephen Kenny!

But like I said originally I find it strange that you want to discuss the predicaments of a team you don't support in a league you're boycotting with people who are less successful and much poorer than yourself. blink.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

We'll disagree on the quality of the squad, which I still reckon is average amongst the bottom feeders, not better, so why would I think we would suddenly go on a long undefeated run?

Even if you're right about the club taking a gamble on Hearts being certainties for relegation you're a bit premature in your prediction - remember 2006/07 and your erstwhile hero (the never to be future manager of Celtic) Stephen Kenny!

But like I said originally I find it strange that you want to discuss the predicaments of a team you don't support in a league you're boycotting with people who are less successful and much poorer than yourself. blink.png

Coz he's an ass and prefers the cinema. thumbup2.gif

I agree with your comments about the team apart from the youths comment. Obviously the youths haven't been pushed into the team. Even John McGinn hasn't been getting a regular game!

What I don't agree is that "someone" at the club - and what you mean is the BoD - thought that they could "get away with it".

Terry Butcher has built another new team on the cheap. I bet his budget is lower than Lennon's. Partick Thistle are 9 pts ahead os us. I bet their budget is considerably lower than Lennon's. I bet that Ross County's budget is lower.

I think that the people to blame are Lennon and Craig. The fact is that they just don't know what they are doing. They are the ones who have put together an unbalanced squad, a midfield of sand dancers and tell them to fanny about with the ball until they give it straight to the opposition.

Of course, the BoD should never have appointed Lennon in the first place. And when they realised he was clueless during the first season they should have got shot of him rather than getting shot of the "brains", Jenkins, and attempting to appoint a new "brains", Tommy Craig. Instead of bringing in people to pull his strings they should have just got in a proper manager.

They are now in the position, after the incredible - but nonetheless, flukey - League Cup win that they feel under pressure not to sack him. They know they will get slaughtered in the press.

However, I think the sacking will come shortly. Results suddenly won't turn around. Lennon doesn't know what he is doing and Tommy Craig's tactics are dreadful.

If the management team are the root cause of our current predicament then why won't results turn around if we sack them ?

It is extremely likely that whatever team wins the League Cup this season will do so without having to face either Old Firm team. St Johnstone could get to the semi-final without having faced a single top division team. Will this season's winners also be deemed lucky or flukey? We had to get past Aberdeen, Celtic and a pre-administration Hearts. I can't see how this run of results can be deemed lucky when we won all games fair and square without any real controversial decisions.

It reminds me of when Gretna got to the Scottish Cup Final without having to meet a single SPL side.

After today's results Danny has probably got himself a further stay of execution irrespective of the result this Monday. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate. I met a fellow st Mirren fan at work yesterday and he hopes we get pumped on Monday to get rid of Lennon. I cannot subscribe to that attitude however bad we appear. I have never and will never want us to lose no matter the circumstances. Two dyed in the wool buddies arguing in a jersey street! I am masochistically optimistic about Monday night. Will I ever learn

I've got a few friends down there that I am slowly converting. I bring them Saint Mirren shirts whenever I visit. Hope they are wearing them round the rock with pride!

After today's results Danny has probably got himself a further stay of execution irrespective of the result this Monday. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate. I met a fellow st Mirren fan at work yesterday and he hopes we get pumped on Monday to get rid of Lennon. I cannot subscribe to that attitude however bad we appear. I have never and will never want us to lose no matter the circumstances. Two dyed in the wool buddies arguing in a jersey street! I am masochistically optimistic about Monday night. Will I ever learn

That's what league football has always been about - how you fare compared with other teams.

Maybe perversely I'm reasonably sanguine atm as I feel this is as bad as it can get yet we're still in touch with Killie & above Hearts and we've gotta improve at some point - haven't we? bag.gif

Hearts and Killie will likely lose at the weekend providing us with a sort of "free game" on Monday night where the pressure will, to a certain extent, be off. Hopefully that will give us the boost we need to relax and play the sort of football we know this team has in them. 4 points from the next two games and the world will seem a better place.COYS!

A free game are you off your nut? We have no wins this season and 1win in 19 ! In our situation the term free game does not apply. It shows you though that the decay is setting in with folk happy to keep hearts at arms length and forget actually climbing the league. Relegation this year will be catastrophic for us and it will certainly cost jobs in the club. People who we all know will lose employment but hey let's all roll up on Monday for a freebie v Aberdeen.

Ach come on - Stephen Kenny was never my hero. I just enjoyed the fact that Dunfermline had a bit of a revival and that it was causing frequent changes of underwear amongst the more hygienic St Mirren supporters - not that there are that many hygienic St Mirren supporters....:rolleyes:

The squad is below average though. The worst in the Scottish Premiership - the statistics aren't lying on that front.

When teams are low in confidence managers generally work on keeping things tight at the back. It's generally easier to play not to concede a goal than it is to score one - but St Mirren don't have the kind of players you would back to do that ever. McAusland and Goodwin as a central defensive pairing are woeful and when your only choice is from one of two less than capable goalkeepers in behind them you're going to lose goals big time. Add to that the fact that Grainger is worse than a man short at the moment and that you don't have a single ball winner in midfield and you can see the predicament. How can any manager turn that squad of players around?

A free game are you off your nut? We have no wins this season and 1win in 19 ! In our situation the term free game does not apply. It shows you though that the decay is setting in with folk happy to keep hearts at arms length and forget actually climbing the league. Relegation this year will be catastrophic for us and it will certainly cost jobs in the club. People who we all know will lose employment but hey let's all roll up on Monday for a freebie v Aberdeen.

Not sure if the sarcasm was deliberate or you're maybe not sure what it is so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Re-read my post mate. At no point did I say anything about being happy with the current situation.

Anyway, the "free game" I referred to was in relation to some of the pressure being off tonight which wouldn't have been the case if both Hearts and Killie had won. Surely even you can see that and appreciate it might just have removed a bit of the pressure the players are feeling?

No? Well whatever you think a win tonight will see us leapfrog Killie and open up an 11 point gap between us and Hearts. That would enable us to climb the league AND keep Hearts at arms length and should allow you to sleep better at night.

aww come on, its not all bad, i saw a post a little back 'liked' by an ex-director that basically said that a team like st.mirren should accept relegation from time to time.

Relegation would be a disaster financially, however, the history of the game in this country tells us that, for a team like us, it's almost a certainty at some point. Same for St Johnstone, ICT, Ross County and Thistle. Small teams with small budgets whose number comes up eventually.

Ach come on - Stephen Kenny was never my hero. I just enjoyed the fact that Dunfermline had a bit of a revival and that it was causing frequent changes of underwear amongst the more hygienic St Mirren supporters - not that there are that many hygienic St Mirren supporters....rolleyes.gif

Just like your erstwhile compadre from Lanarkshire Tam Cowan repeating jokes that weren't even funny the first time we heard them - in the school playground.

The squad is below average though. The worst in the Scottish Premiership - the statistics aren't lying on that front.

When teams are low in confidence managers generally work on keeping things tight at the back. It's generally easier to play not to concede a goal than it is to score one - but St Mirren don't have the kind of players you would back to do that ever. McAusland and Goodwin as a central defensive pairing are woeful and when your only choice is from one of two less than capable goalkeepers in behind them you're going to lose goals big time. Add to that the fact that Grainger is worse than a man short at the moment and that you don't have a single ball winner in midfield and you can see the predicament. How can any manager turn that squad of players around?

I'll repeat my disagreement of your assessment of our squad - the main problem is the manager's flawed use of it so far this season coupled with his desire to play football "the right way" and win the approval of media/pundits. My belief is either that Lennon will do as he did in his first season with Saints and move to shitfest mode or be replaced - either way I expect an improvement in our results.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Its not just about the squad. The major reason we have been shite has been Lennon's ridiculous tactics. keeper throws out to a defender. Defenders pass about at the back while the opposition are upon us, then lose the ball. Week after week, after week.

I don't think we will really know the ability of this squad until we get shot of the pair of clowns currently in charge.

Its not just about the squad. The major reason we have been shite has been Lennon's ridiculous tactics. keeper throws out to a defender. Defenders pass about at the back while the opposition are upon us, then lose the ball. Week after week, after week.

I don't think we will really know the ability of this squad until we get shot of the pair of clowns currently in charge.

except the thistle game where we played your beloved long ball, and produced the worst home performance I've seen for two seasons at least.

It's a weird version of long ball too - it seems to involve the keeper throwing the ball out to Goodwin who either hoofs it up the park himself, or returns it to the keeper who then punts it up the park.

Can't understand why it's not working.

In truth, I thought Dillo did a lot of long kicks at Easter Road, (all by himself!) and he was doing it again, tonight.

Relegation would be a disaster financially, however, the history of the game in this country tells us that, for a team like us, it's almost a certainty at some point. Same for St Johnstone, ICT, Ross County and Thistle. Small teams with small budgets whose number comes up eventually.

Kilmarnock are not any bigger yet have been in spl since 1993

Kilmarnock are a bigger club than us on almost every conceivable level. That being said they have flirted with the drop for a number of seasons now and even the most ardent Killie fan knows it's coming.

They have been financially mismanaged and are about £13m in debt. A large part of that debt accrued through paying silly money to slightly better than average players.

Those better paid players have drawn one game more than Saints this season, and yet have played one more.

Their most committed fans are so unhappy that they are now boycotting home games, so less money is flowing in.

I know which of the two teams should look to the future with more optimism.

Bubbles DO burst. :)

Despite the fact all the keyboard managers assured us that long ball was the answer, and the best way to play!

No they/we didn't. .. ... we/they pointed out that Thistle would play the long diagonal for the full backs to run on to.

That was pointing out what we would have to defend against... not how we should play.

No they/we didn't. .. ... we/they pointed out that Thistle would play the long diagonal for the full backs to run on to.

That was pointing out what we would have to defend against... not how we should play.

Not talking about the thistle game at all.

For the last 3 years we have been told to abandon the tippy tappy pish, and lump the ball up the park instead. As that is more effective.