Peter Houston

GMBB

I would argue that the style of football Tom Hendrie brought to the club in 99-00 was far more attractive than the style Danny had us playing.

It was at a lower level of course but that season for me was just brilliant.

Danny HAD us playing some good stuff, but anyone who has watched us this season would surely agree that the current style is miles away from what we saw this time two seasons ago.

Thing that annoyed me Div was that everyone from other clubs were even raving about how good we were playing back them. Danny was saying that we had found our identity and brand of football. All of a sudden that system was scrapped then it was punts up the park.

Thing that annoyed me Div was that everyone from other clubs were even raving about how good we were playing back them. Danny was saying that we had found our identity and brand of football. All of a sudden that system was scrapped then it was punts up the park.

Some of the punters must have got to him.whistling.gif

I think one of the biggest problems in the last two games has been that we weren't punting the ball on occassions as the opposition forwards just pressed our defence when Cornell pushed the ball short. It never seemed to register and they just tried the same thing continuously expecting different results.

When the ball was predictably put back to the keeper he had to punt the ball up the park under pressure.

We need to mix it up. If their forwards and midfield are pressing our back line then there is space left in behind to exploit using a goalkeeper "punt".

I think one of the biggest problems in the last two games has been that we weren't punting the ball on occassions as the opposition forwards just pressed our defence when Cornell pushed the ball short. It never seemed to register and they just tried the same thing continuously expecting different results.

When the ball was predictably put back to the keeper he had to punt the ball up the park under pressure.

We need to mix it up. If their forwards and midfield are pressing our back line then there is space left in behind to exploit using a goalkeeper "punt".

The problem isn't playing the ball short it's that Goodwin was taking the ball off the keeper at the penalty spot and taking too long to make the next pass. If the ball is going to be passed out from the keeper it should go out wide to the full backs or from the centre backs and then quickly out wide.

Edited by irvine_buddie

The problem isn't playing the ball short it's that Goodwin was taking the ball off the keeper at the penalty spot and taking too long to make the next pass. If the ball is going to be passed out from the keeper it should go out wide to the full backs or from the centre backs and then quickly out wide.

Wouldn't disagree with that and there were definitely times Grainger and Teale were free for the pass. I still think it needed to be mixed up though.

Oaksoft - we cannot argue with fact. The League Cup and finishing 8th in Scotland's top league means Danny is more successful than any St Mirren manager since 1987.

What's that got to do with bagging him in the event of St Mirren remaining utter gash?

It's got nothing at all to do with bagging him as a principle.

All we're disputing here is whether that should happen now or not.

To consider that point, you need to consider the bigger picture.

That's why it's relevant to a point.

It's got nothing at all to do with bagging him as a principle.

All we're disputing here is whether that should happen now or not.

To consider that point, you need to consider the bigger picture.

That's why it's relevant to a point.

It's not relevant. Comparing Danny's cup haul to Tom Hendrie's cup haul has absolutely no bearing on any decision on whether the BOD should dispense with his services today, tomorrow, next week, or next season.

I could easily imagine the BoD discussing things and the fact that Danny won us a major trophy gives Danny a bit of time, or goodwill, or cuts him some slack... I cannot imagine a board member bringing up the records of previous managers, who operated from a different stadium, with no training complex, with different players, in different eras, facing different opponents, who included Rangers and stronger Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Arabs... or indeed saw St Mirren play in a lower league altogether.

Sorry, can't see why even going back to Gus reign never mind anyone going back to 1987 has any bearing at all on any decision regarding Danny staying or leaving.

Edited by pozbaird

I can't see any reason to sack a manager (outwith brainlessness and panic - neither of which our board seems to suffer from, unlike our keyboard clatterers) would be at the start of the two transfer windows.

So Danny is with us until at least Christmas and hopefully at least next summer.

IMO he's got us playing the best and most successful football since the mid 80's DESPITE the fact we're shipping goals faster than Amazon ship books.

This is simply a fact. I can't think of any other Saints manager who has achieved such high league placings or Cup wins since that time.

Seriously, someone can always prove me wrong.

Come on guys. Name a single Saints manager who has brought more top level success than Danny since 1987 and a better style of playing?

All you whiners out there should be able to name one at least.

Yep that's the way to do it. The club are now a laughing stock.

Firstly for signing him and secondly for sacking him so soon after letting him build his own team.

Now a new manager will be hamstrung with that squad.

This is why an intelligent board of directors should never sack a manager anytime outside of close season.

Right, which is it close season only or at the start of a transfer window? My suggestion that a decision on Lennon should be made in November was arrogance according to you during the summer but now at least one of your persona appears to agree with me, in essence.

No one can take away the cup win or the highest league placing in 20 years but that was then and I'd argue it has bought him time he would not otherwise have enjoyed (sic) as our manager (do you disagree with this?) but after an appalling summer in the transfer market topped by some panic buying in the last week - that neither Bahoken or Caprice were in the starting line-up on Saturday practically confirms this. We're currently in an awful situation and experiencing our worst start in 70 years or so - does that count for nothing? Out of the LC to a lower division team and with only Hearts points deduction keeping us off bottom spot Lennon has brought the crisis to a head quicker than I believed was possible, he really has to pull something out of the hat in one of the next two games and at least maintain the current gap between us and Hearts or he should be removed during the next international break.

I'd also like to challenge the "best since the mid-80's" style of football we play under Lennon, perhaps briefly at the start of his second season in charge, but really if any of McGowan, Teale or Thompson were missing or not on song or Goodwin got booked early the majority of the games in the last season and a half and practically all of this season so far have seen us playing turgid football, easily as grim as anything from the MacPherson period - I refer you to the numerous post-match threads that will confirm this.

It really is a sign of how bad things have been this season that many of the posters who were previously pro-Lennon have moved way past me in their attitude towards Lennon and their criticism of him.

Oh and I'll bookmark the "at least until Christmas" part of your post.

Edited by Bud the Baker