Relegation Part Of The Plan?

The way the board have been acting lately, refusing to release funds although we released 13 players, it all seems a bit fishy.

I wouldn't put it past them to be thinking oh well if we get relegated we'll have the rangers gates and bt television money next season in the first division!

you absolute whopper

The way the board have been acting lately, refusing to release funds although we released 13 players, it all seems a bit fishy.

I wouldn't put it past them to be thinking oh well if we get relegated we'll have the rangers gates and bt television money next season in the first division!

I'd be very, very surprised if this hasn't been discussed by the board. Why wouldn't they talk about their 'business plan' for the next 12 months? So I'm not quite sure why the OP is being slagged off so quickly, unless it's because people don't want to believe that this COULD be a scenario playing out behind the scenes at St.Mirren Park.

I don't think they're actively seeking relegation, or would be happy if we went down, but I do think there could be a feeling amongst some that it wouldn't be a disaster financially if we did.

Relegation could be seen as a calculated risk by the board.

Hearts with a -15 start, a newly promoted team who haven't kicked a ball in the top flight for years, other clubs in transition.

If we went down, games against Sevco & Morton, TV money.

I wouldn't be surprised if there had been talk of it not being the end of the world for them, and a consideration about not bothering to spend so much money this year.

Personally, I think this would be disastrous, and ambitiously blinkered thinking. But the truth is, a BoD at most clubs talk about financial success WAY before they talk about on the field success.

However, it's only conjecture, as no-one at the club seems to be making ANY comment about our current situation, even though the fans, rightly or wrongly, are concerned about things in a way I haven't heard for several years.

It would be good for someone to come out and clarify where we stand, and what the business plan is for this season. If we're in a similar position when the transfer window closes, I'd be unhappy if there was the same silence.

What utter nonsense!

There should be some sort of IQ test introduced on this forum now.

Games against Kilmarnock (and now Partick too) draw bigger crowds than Rangers, their presence in the league really doesn't impact us much.

The OP doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

My opinion,.. if it matters is:-

Funds were released to entice McGowan to remain and I'm sure Harkins and Grainger weren't encouraged to sign on for a peanut and cup of bovril.

No. I think Danny was under the impression that our "special relationship" with Newcastle would lead to a couple of key loanees.

He's got caught out by a couple of refusals as well and is now chasing his tail to find suitable players in our price range, which, whether we like it or not, is still akin to corn beef sarnies and orangeade rather than a Fortrum &Mason hamper basket.

I can only hope he finds a bottle of champers in amongst the irn bru cans.

Obviously the way you've worded this has offended a few of the old dears on the forum but it is worth someone seriously looking into - if the BoD do have a 'plan' then what is it - I would not be surprised if one of the permutations is indeed relegation and to be honest it may end up looking attractive financially (on paper anyway) - I don't know. What probably was never considered was the likelihood of plan B and unless the same BoD give DL some assistance financially it may well come to pass whether they or we want it or not.

Plan is to sell..........................well as far as the Bod ar concerned. Surely the product they are selling is better in the top flight of football than struggling elsewhere, jist sayin like

Damn , can't believe I posted on this thread.....................did someone mention IQ testing 1eye.gif

One of the most idiotic opening posts on here and tbh there is some competition for that recently.

So we could be relegated we play rangers for a season get bt money why is that any better to the BOD than staying in the top flight getting bt money playing Celtic and on average a better home gate ?

As someone else as already said CLOWN

The fundamental flaw in the OP lies in the probability that the consortium are unlikely to believe that relegation would enhance the chances of their shares being bought at their current valuation.

The silence is deafening, nevertheless. Whether funds are being made available or otherwise is a point of speculation. The emphasis/(over)reliance on loan signings is interesting, however. Squad-building on the cheap? Is it cheaper? Who knows.

I'm not convinced that the BoD fully trust Danny to use funds appropriately. I come back to an earlier contention - surely they must back him or sack him. Doing neither is not an option.

Perhaps they are backing him, but it would be reassuring to hear something to this effect, and might settle everyone down a litte.

Have a look at the SPFL financial distribution, then decide if you still think relegation would be good for the club financially.

Next season we are also going to be in a bad position player wise , Teale and Thompson will be nearly 36 ,Goodwin 33,Mair 35.Van Zanten 32 ,I think they are all in the last year of their contracts ,McGowan has signed a 1 year deal ,don't know about McGinn or Mclean's contract's ,and the ones we signed on loan ,its going to be the same scenario .vinston

Where will the funds be next year ,could this be the reason we think the moneys not being spent,when it comes to replacing so many key players we will need to invest heavily.

This could not be done if we were relegated ,so really don't believe the board have that idea,as for playing Morton or Rangers benefiting us with attendances or tv revenue ,We play Celtic at home and that usually gets shown on tv,as for Morton bringing big crowds ,Killie ,Hibs and Hearts ect with the exception of ICT and Ross County bring bigger crowds than the likes of Livingston ,Hamilton and so on.

Next season we are also going to be in a bad position player wise , Teale and Thompson will be nearly 36 ,Goodwin 33,Mair 35.Van Zanten 32 ,I think they are all in the last year of their contracts ,McGowan has signed a 1 year deal ,don't know about McGinn or Mclean's contract's ,and the ones we signed on loan ,its going to be the same scenario .vinston

Where will the funds be next year ,could this be the reason we think the moneys not being spent,when it comes to replacing so many key players we will need to invest heavily.

This could not be done if we were relegated ,so really don't believe the board have that idea,as for playing Morton or Rangers benefiting us with attendances or tv revenue ,We play Celtic at home and that usually gets shown on tv,as for Morton bringing big crowds ,Killie ,Hibs and Hearts ect with the exception of ICT and Ross County bring bigger crowds than the likes of Livingston ,Hamilton and so on.

As far as I know EVERY player at every club will be a year older, does this alter your point?

Sometimes club managers need to stop talking about our "wonderful fans" and do a Neil Lennon.

Say it like it is.

Sometimes football fans ARE wonderful.

A large minority however have completely unrealistic expectation levels and the combined IQ of a small gerbil.

They impose expectation levels on others which they couldn't tolerate or cope with being placed on themselves.

Sadly they are a loud minority.

But to a man they are utterly worthless morons.

These people need confronting head on and laughed at by normal people because it's the only way to drown out their constant stream of negativity.

At some stage Saints will start winning games and those who remained behind the scenes and kept their disappointment and frustration in check will be able to stand talk and say they played their part in the recovery.

Why am I using the word moron? Because if you think posting nothing but a constant stream negative pish or shouting abuse at someone somehow shows "support" for them then you are a brainless moron by definition.

Edited by oaksoft

As far as I know EVERY player at every club will be a year older, does this alter your point?

If you can't work it out yourself I will give you a wee hand , Thompson and Teale will nearly 36 there are not many 36 year olds playing in their positions in the Premier League ,Mair, Goodwin and Van Zanten will probably not be offered new deals ,is that easier or do you need me to send you the scrap of paper I wrote on to work it out.

Sometimes club managers need to stop talking about our "wonderful fans" and do a Neil Lennon.

Say it like it is.

A large minority however have completely unrealistic expectation levels and the combined IQ of a small gerbil.

They impose expectation levels on others which they couldn't tolerate or cope with being placed on themselves.

These people need confronting head on and laughed at by normal people because it's the only way to drown out their constant stream of negativity.

At some stage Saints will start winning games and those who remained behind the scenes and kept their disappointment and frustration in check will be able to stand talk and say they played their part in the recovery.

Why am I using the word moron? Because if you think posting nothing but a constant stream negative pish or shouting abuse at someone somehow shows "support" for them then you are a brainless moron by definition.

NHuJ8.gif

If you can't work it out yourself I will give you a wee hand , Thompson and Teale will nearly 36 there are not many 36 year olds playing in their positions in the Premier League ,Mair, Goodwin and Van Zanten will probably not be offered new deals ,is that easier or do you need me to send you the scrap of paper I wrote on to work it out.

No thanks, I'm surrounded by paper that's for cleaning shite.

Say it like it is.

Do small gerbils necessarily have lower IQs than larger gerbils?

I would dispute any such inference, and feel that, from a man of your scientific pedigree, this would constitute disappointing lapse.

In any event, it might have been more accurate had you referred to said fans as having the IQ of a dead gerbil, irrespective of its stature in life.

Signed: a small man.

Edited by Drew

Do small gerbils necessarily have lower IQs than larger gerbils?

I would dispute any such inference, and feel that, from a man of your scientific pedigree, this would constitute disappointing lapse.

In any event, it might have been more accurate had you referred to said fans as having the IQ of a dead gerbil, irrespective of its stature in life.

Signed: a small man.

I thought use of the phrase "dead gerbil" would have been going too far.

As a man of science though I am prepared to see where I can improve.

In fairness I think I'm spot on with the phrase worthless morons though.

Kevin Phillips is playing in the EPL at 40 as is Ryan Giggs - both play the same position. Age is merely a number.

Age is irrelevant unless you are a cheese.

So unless you're mistaking Teale and Thommo for a block of finest French Brie............

There is nothing about their performances which suggests they have suddenly reached the end of their careers just yet.

Apart from anything else, I couldn't care less about next season. We have enough problems on our plate today.

Next season will take care of itself.

Edited by oaksoft