Under 3 Days To Strengthen

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but are folk wanting someone to be bought to play upfront "with" Thommo?

it's just i don't recall him consistently playing with a strike partner at st mirren.

yes, he's had goncalves or imrie supporting off the left or playing behind him. Harkins now takes up that role.

and he has had McGowan play behind him also, and he's still at the club.

So rather than someone to play upfront, are you not actually just looking for cover for the bench, someone to compete with or offer something different to Riley?

incidentally, how much game time did Guy and Parkin get last season?

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but are folk wanting someone to be bought to play upfront "with" Thommo?

it's just i don't recall him consistently playing with a strike partner at st mirren.

yes, he's had goncalves or imrie supporting off the left or playing behind him. Harkins now takes up that role.

So rather than someone to play upfront, are you not actually just looking for cover for the bench, someone to compete with or offer something different to Riley?

We need cover but also someone to play off Thompson. I appreciate that Harkins can play in that role to a degree, but he doesn't complement Thompson in some respects as he isn't pacy and direct (as Isma, and - to a lesser extent - Guy were).

There is little point in Thompson winning balls but nobody being available to capitalise. I don't think Harkins is that player, though he is clearly a good player who offers us something a bit different.

The most important thing is to have cover and options, however.

Edit for numerous typos...

Edited by Drew

We need cover but also someone to play off Thompson. I appreciate that Harkins can play in that role to a degree, but he doesn't complement Thompson in some respects as he isn't pacy and direct (as Isma, and - to a lesser extent - Guy were).

There is little point in Thompson winning balls but nobody being available to capitalise. I don't think Harkins is that player, though he is clearly a good player who offers us something a bit different.

The most important thing is to have cover and options, however.

Edit for numerous typos...

Totally agree, it just seemed weired that folk were suggesting you need someone to play upfront with him.

sure the most obvious solution is to play mcgowan behind him with Harkins on the left and Teale on the right, with Newton/Goodwin/McGinn competing for 2 holding rolls behind McGowan?

Thompson

Harkins --- McGowan --- Teale

Newton --- McGinn

Grainger --- McAusland --- McGregor --- Caprice

Cornell

Edited by dave.j

You are right. That's what I thought until STV Grant on twitter informed me that the SFA had told him 5pm. He's since confirmed that it is 11pm, and that he was given a bum steer.

thumbup2.gif

Fcuk STV/SFA. He should have asked me!lol.gif

Edited by stlucifer

According to Soccerbase, Parkin made 12 starts and 15 sub appearances in the league scoring twice, and Guy made 17 starts and 12 sub appearances in the league scoring 5 goals. Generally one of the two played up with Thompson until Goncalves arrived. If you add in Goncalves' 11 league starts and one sub appearance, that is a lot of playing time to replace. Harkins could be considered to have replaced Imrie and Carey, who between them had 31 starts and 22 sub appearances in the league last year.

Nothing wrong with shipping out all four of those players, and we were never going to keep Goncalves, but it is dreadful mismanagement not to replace them.

According to Soccerbase, Parkin made 12 starts and 15 sub appearances in the league scoring twice, and Guy made 17 starts and 12 sub appearances in the league scoring 5 goals. Generally one of the two played up with Thompson until Goncalves arrived. If you add in Goncalves' 11 league starts and one sub appearance, that is a lot of playing time to replace. Harkins could be considered to have replaced Imrie and Carey, who between them had 31 starts and 22 sub appearances in the league last year.

Nothing wrong with shipping out all four of those players, and we were never going to keep Goncalves, but it is dreadful mismanagement not to replace them.

Parkin & Guy were both absolute Sh!te, they will be replaced by a now fit reilly and i'd imagine AN Other.

Goncalves & Carey, as you say replaced by Harkins.

He's replaced a loan in Dummett with a permanent signing in Grainger, a great signing, and has brought in this new lad as cover for righ back and right mid, a great bit of business as there's no cert that Teale will stay fit, or last 90 mins in winter for example at the age of 35. barron and van zanten are inconsistent, so he needed cover.

If he signs a striker to push thompson for a starting place and a centre back, then on paper it could be argued that you have one of the strongest teams in the league.

Guest somner9

Parkin & Guy were both absolute Sh!te, they will be replaced by a now fit reilly and i'd imagine AN Other.

He's replaced a loan in Dummett with a permanent signing in Grainger, a great signing, and has brought in this new lad as cover for righ back and right mid, a great bit of business as there's no cert that Teale will stay fit, or last 90 mins in winter for example at the age of 35. barron and van zanten are inconsistent, so he needed cover.

If he signs a striker to push thompson for a starting place and a centre back, then on paper it could be argued that you have one of the strongest teams in the league.

And the Thommo and Bahoken (if signed) partnership will spank the jags Bahookie's this weekend..!

They might have been shite, but they were better than nothing which is what we currently have. Reilly is not a striker and I ma very happy to bet you he will not score the 7 goals in the league that Guy and Parkin managed between them. We may get another body in which is great, but it's already several weeks and defeats into the season. Our league cup has gone already. It's been a terrible summer on Lennon's part, there's no way of dressing that up.

I said Harkins replaced Imrie and Carey. No-one has replaced Goncalves, Parkin or Guy.

As for one of the strongest teams in the league, you must be joking. One of the strongest midfields, perhaps, but we have a crap defence which has not been strengthened this summer, and we are worse off in the goalkeeping department too, having lost a Scotland squad member for a kid.

They might have been shite, but they were better than nothing which is what we currently have. Reilly is not a striker and I ma very happy to bet you he will not score the 7 goals in the league that Guy and Parkin managed between them. We may get another body in which is great, but it's already several weeks and defeats into the season. Our league cup has gone already. It's been a terrible summer on Lennon's part, there's no way of dressing that up.

I said Harkins replaced Imrie and Carey. No-one has replaced Goncalves, Parkin or Guy.

As for one of the strongest teams in the league, you must be joking. One of the strongest midfields, perhaps, but we have a crap defence which has not been strengthened this summer, and we are worse off in the goalkeeping department too, having lost a Scotland squad member for a kid.

You know, i can't imagine ever being a glass half empty kinda guy. each to their own i suppose.

I wouldn't say Harkins was signed to replace Imrie and Carey more like McGowan.

We need a natural left sided player to give us balance at the moment it's McLean and McGinn who are more suited for the middle.

Another one released today hoping to free a wage for the french boy i would imagine.

But we have a bigger budget this season rememberlol.gif

It all looks so easy on paper it's just a pity these pesky opposition teams keep beating us.

Totally agree, it just seemed weired that folk were suggesting you need someone to play upfront with him.

sure the most obvious solution is to play mcgowan behind him with Harkins on the left and Teale on the right, with Newton/Goodwin/McGinn competing for 2 holding rolls behind McGowan?

Thompson

Harkins --- McGowan --- Teale

Newton --- McGinn

Grainger --- McAusland --- McGregor --- Caprice

Cornell

Would you care to tell Danny where to play Gowser? He has him so deep he's nearly in the back 4 these days. When he's not on the bench that is.

You know, i can't imagine ever being a glass half empty kinda guy. each to their own i suppose.

It's not about the glass being half full or half empty, it's about simple realism! You've come out with the sort of unsubstantiated hyperbole even Lennon wouldn't try to get away with. Although if our squad was really as strong as you say, then why have the results been so bad? That could only be Lennon's fault, surely?

I wouldn't say Harkins was signed to replace Imrie and Carey more like McGowan.

We need a natural left sided player to give us balance at the moment it's McLean and McGinn who are more suited for the middle.

Another one released today hoping to free a wage for the french boy i would imagine.

But we have a bigger budget this season rememberlol.gif

Yes I agree in terms of position - I was suggesting that in terms of game time, which Dave had brought into it, losing Imrie and Carey but replacing them with someone who will play most of our games is roughly equivalent.

A left winger might be nice but the urgent priority has to be two players who can play up front. If we're signing anyone on top of that, which we won't be, then we'd have to look next at sorting out the defence. We have too many midfielders as it is.

It's not about the glass being half full or half empty, it's about simple realism! You've come out with the sort of unsubstantiated hyperbole even Lennon wouldn't try to get away with. Although if our squad was really as strong as you say, then why have the results been so bad? That could only be Lennon's fault, surely?

Yes I agree in terms of position - I was suggesting that in terms of game time, which Dave had brought into it, losing Imrie and Carey but replacing them with someone who will play most of our games is roughly equivalent.

A left winger might be nice but the urgent priority has to be two players who can play up front. If we're signing anyone on top of that, which we won't be, then we'd have to look next at sorting out the defence. We have too many midfielders as it is.

Don't disagree a centre half is a must to keep the two we have the now on their toes.

As the moment they're both playing shite but keeping their places as no competition for them.

Maybe, just maybe, someone was thinking we might be looking to develop a Plan 'B', where we try playing someone "with" Thommo when it looks like the oppsition might have tumbled to how to stifle our not-so-secret, and not-so-successful Plan 'A'.

Just putting that out there.

We had players identified in may and here we are in the last few hours of the window scraping around trying to do business. It shows that in the spfl our place is clearly at the bottom end of the top league

Norrie what is the point of your post?

You've added nothing here just another meaningless whine.

Don't you fancy hanging around for just a couple more days to see what these new players are like before becoming suicidal?

Maybe they'll be quite good?