Lee Mair

slapsalmon

To get back to Lee Mair. He was offered a certain % of his salary to go and refused. He either likes the club or doubts his chances of getting as good a deal elsewhere.

if you seen him running onto park when thommo scored at hampden that might answer your question ,but he isn't a saints supporter like some in team so doesn't get away with playing rubbish,mair is not the best centre half in the world but he is no worse than the 2 we play every week ,but the fact he has played centre half all his career makes his positioning better than Goodwin ,that's why I think Goodwin would be better in front of mair and whoever,

Maybe Mair has a bit more influence than I thought?....very popular guy is Mairzo ....Div's best mate at St Mirren I think?......Club and manager made a cnut of handling his situation.......But no matter IMO we need to change and need to do it now.

If Gilmour & mcausland wisna so greedy and paid mair what he was due he wid be gone, and if they wasnae so worried about lennons pay off he wid be gone aswell, mair has been an embassador for this this club for 4 years and his treatment by the board and the coachin staff ais shameful,

If Gilmour & mcausland wisna so greedy and paid mair what he was due he wid be gone, and if they wasnae so worried about lennons pay off he wid be gone aswell, mair has been an embassador for this this club for 4 years and his treatment by the board and the coachin staff ais shameful,

they couldn't pay him what he wanted as they are paying mcauslands son crazy money £1600 a week ..yes you read it right a week f**king shocking

To get back to Lee Mair. He was offered a certain % of his salary to go and refused. He either likes the club or doubts his chances of getting as good a deal elsewhere.

He is settled in the area with a young family. Would you walk away from a nice contract for a percentage of its value? Imrie and Guy (hence our budget being shot) did but they weren't happy here, Mair is.

Mair had one good season with us and lot of shite ones. Last year he was supposedly playing with a knock. Goodwin took his place in the back four and halted a 6 game loosing streak, He came in for a few games after that and every time had a howler. Dundee away etc. If he could get his form back great but he's not done that great even in the U20's

Thing is, this debacle with Mair and subsequent lack of action for him will probably end his playing career at this level.

A full season on the sidelines then looking for another club next season when he's 33 and out of contract...good luck with that.

By all accounts he's doing really well with the coaching so presumably plans to move into that.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree. Considering he hardly played last year it's funny to see so many people viewing him as some sort of returning hero.

I think it's more about utilising your WHOLE squad.

If it's broke, damn well try to fix it.

I don't pretend to think that Mair is the returning messiah, more the prodigal son with, perhaps, a point to prove if he gets that final chance when Danny decides to sacrifice the dratted centre half!whistling.gif .

Edited by stlucifer

Too many people are forgetting that Mair is, well, shite.

He's one of few SPL defenders who shouldn't get a game ahead of McAusland, McGregor or Goodwin.

Yes , but Thistle had too much possession in the final third , so move the "shite Mair" into the back four and move the "shite" defender Goodwin into his best position , protecting the back four ?

I do not think that others regard Mair as a returning hero.

Personally I do not see the sense on one of our best paid players and a central defender not even in the first team squad when the current first team central defenders are giving away goals like its Christmas. The return of Mair frankly could not be any worse than what we currently have and may put pressure on the incumbents to up their game.