Booing Your Team, Ffs!

Drew

Drew, I always find your posts to be reasonable and you are always respectful of others views so I'll simply say I don't agree with you on this one and leave it at that.

No worries mate. The forum would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed on everything anyway.

Yip. I sit in W2, don't remember hearing anything at half time. Maybe someone else who sits down that end can confirm if I am talking bollocks or not.

I was sitting in the family stand and definitely heard a fair bit of booing from our own support, Div.

Edited by Drew

Yip. I sit in W2, don't remember hearing anything at half time. Maybe someone else who sits down that end can confirm if I am talking bollocks or not.

I'm in the family stand and posted at half time that the booing from Saints fans was out of order.

If it was aimed at the ref it would have started as he reached the tunnel... it started immediately the whistle sounded and was a loud and clear message from where I was sitting.

Newton got pelters from the West Bank yesterday for one misplaced pass. Dreadful treatment he got.

And weeks earlier the West Bank gave him a hero's welcome while he wore another Team's strip.

There are a few strange yins in among the Saints support.

I mind him as Newtonnnn !!!

And always will.

A St Mirren Legend.

Edited by shull

I think that most players, getting booed when the team are going through hard times, will not want to receive the ball for fear of f**king up and being singled out for attention from the boo boys. Even for a hard natured man, not so easily put off, there is still no way it can have any kind of positive effect.

I do understand the frustration, as I am also unhappy at our current situation, but never have and never will boo my own team. A the 5-0 gubbing by C*lt*c last season I was screaming at Barron to waken up and get a grip of the game, but didn't call him a useless c**t, even though, on the day, he was useless. That was Danny's job and he didn't do it.

I see the point Drew, but personally, although I hate booing during the game, I certainly don't mind it at all at the full time whistle, and I gave it plenty yesterday.

The boos for me were more aimed at the manager than the players. I am sure many were in the same boat.

I thought the support in the main yesterday were good in their backing of the team.

I booed as well, but in my mind I was booing the BoD as well. I was actually so angry I was just booing in general.

Newton got pelters from the West Bank yesterday for one misplaced pass. Dreadful treatment he got.

And weeks earlier the West Bank gave him a hero's welcome while he wore another Team's strip.

There are a few strange yins in among the Saints support.

Newton wasn't at the races yesterday , I said a few times during the match that his performance was disappointing !

Edited by billyg

Newton wasn't at the races yesterday , I said a few times during the match that his performance was disappointing !

Few people would disagree with that. He had a poor match by his standards and should have been subbed.

Apparently he played well in the right-mid berth against Kilmarnock at the end of last season, but he didn't look comfortable there at all yesterday.

Few people would disagree with that. He had a poor match by his standards and should have been subbed.

Apparently he played well in the right-mid berth against Kilmarnock at the end of last season, but he didn't look comfortable there at all yesterday.

It was obvious before half-time that Teale was coming on as he was going through his stretching exercises. I thought for sure he would be replacing Newton , just to see if Bahoken could get on the end of a few crosses !

It was obvious before half-time that Teale was coming on as he was going through his stretching exercises. I thought for sure he would be replacing Newton , just to see if Bahoken could get on the end of a few crosses !

Aye, those were my thoughts too.

I have to say that some of the decisions Danny made yesterday were truly baffling.

Maybe those players who are giving 100% but are not playing well, would be helped by some encouragement from their supporters and not abuse.

Shull, I don't go to many away games but I went to Dumfries and the fans DID give the players tremendous encouragement and support. One or two individuals aside, but as a support, as a whole, it was superb.

We need something back, a scrappy home win, seeing out a game from a winning position, the manager getting a grip of his baffling selections... something. Anything.

I heard half-time booing from a few in our support, but it wasn't deafening. Much louder came from their end.

The players thought process should be "I need to put a shift in", if it's "waaaah, booo hooo, waaaah, they don't know how tough this" then they can go play somewhere else with no expectations...Tahiti for example.

Only read through the first page of this thread so might be repeating here.....but when people talk about directing their booing towards the management, the board, the players etc, how does one direct theirbooing? When the boos ring out, I think it is completely understandable that the players, management, board could all assume that it is for their benefit and the intended target will pretty much never be identified in this case.

I agree with the OP that it isn't constructive and the only time I really ever boo at a match is immediately following a bad decision by the ref e.g. no penalty given, or when a well-hated opposition player touches the ball e.g. Tokely. I would hope that in these cases the recipient of the boos is well aware that they are the intended target.

We pay good money to go along, so I suspect that they know fine that we give a shit.

Put yourself in their position. If you were getting booed by strangers based on their perception of your performance, there is every chance that you might simply regard them as a shower of wankers, as opposed to lifting your head, acknowledging your shortcomings, and looking to atone in order to secure their approval in future. I struggle to see how hard this is to understand, but, as I've said already, it is merely my opinion, but I do believe the subject is ripe for debate (again....), and as such, I appreciate the responses.

The other side could be fans just not turning up ,then it hits the club financially .I agree that if fans want to boo ,do it at the end ,but we do pay our money and if we feel unhappy do have the choice to express our opinions ,though personal abuse of players etc is at times away OTT .

If you go to the pictures and the 'star' isn't giving an Oscar winning performance, do you stand up and shout "you're f*cking shite, you!" or do you just leave at the end and tell people not to waste their money going to see it?

But the cinema isn't a live sporting event.

I fail to see the relevant comparison.

I did witness a fan yesterday as the players left the field at full time laying into our players, He shouted so long and so loudly at Conor Newton that CN eventually made eye contact in this fan's direction and was met with 'f&%k off back to Newcastle' I noticed CN simply shook his head and kept going, this same fan then shouted that Goodwin was a 'hopeless cnut' - I'm not making this up. The fan was in the main stand towards the away end in at the front aisle as the teams left, I think this fan was with his son.

The shouting directed yesterday at players by the fan I saw was, in my opinion, abusive. I've noticed other contributors, to this thread, say they heard similar remarks made to Caprice and Cornell; they sound like abuse, too.

Completely out of order, stuff like that.

Criticism is one thing, but that's way beyond that.

During yesterday's "performance" I think the fans were actually very good - all things considered. I actually felt pre-match I was going to a public annihilation of the management team and that never really materialised thankfully during play at least. The boo-ing at half and full time was justified in my opinion… the performance from most simply wasn’t good enough. What are we… some happy clappy Scotland fans?