What Would Be Your First Choice Xi And Formation ?

div

4-4-2

Cornell

Naismith McAusland Mcgregor Grainger

Teale Newton Harkins McGinn

Thommo Bahoken

This team might not have the best eleven players but they will work hard and track back (apart from harkins) and I believe they would grind out a result which is what we need right now.

4-3-3

Cornell

DVZ Mcausland McGregor Grainger

McGowan Goodwin McGinn

Teale Thommo Harkins

Blackpool have played this formation extensively for a number of years now (since Holloway was in charge).

They play to their strengths and aim to put the opposition on the back foot as often as possible. The full backs provide the width in midfield when attacking.

Exciting and direct.

Easily converts to 4-5-1 when defending.

We don't have the players for that. Yesterday we started off pretty similar and got roasted in midfield because Harkins is lazy.

For the next 2-3 games:

Cornell

Goodwin

Cheesy. McGregor

Caprice. Grainger

Newton. McGinn

Gowser

Thommo

Then, after being a bit more solid and harder to beat I'd move to:

Cornell

Caprice. Cheesy. McGregor. Grainger

Goodwin

Newton. McGinn

Teale. Gowser

Thommo

Again I'd play this for 2-3 games gradually introducing through substitutions my preferred formation for the rest of the season:

Cornell

Caprice. Cheesy McGregor. Grainger

Newton McGinn

Teale. Gowser. Bahookie

Thommo.

Harkins has done ok going forward but brings out the worst in McGowan this way he'd be on the bench hopefully forcing the best out of McGowan. Likewise during the next 4-6 games Big Bahookie would come of the bench for Thommo, just to let him know we've options. It would also be ok to play DVZ at right back in the middle formation and bringing Caprice on if we need to attack more.

I've supported DL so far but my heart sank yesterday when the team was announced (though I didn't boo), I really think we need to consolidate & stop shipping silly goals first then gradually become more expansive till we're eventually playing sexy football again, sorry that took so long and thank you for your patience.

Edited by Mykey

We don't have the players for that. Yesterday we started off pretty similar and got roasted in midfield because Harkins is lazy.

Yeh but without Gowser and Teale, two of our most influential and attack minded players.

I am also making the assumption that the players are confident, motivated and in form. And in Harkin's case also doing his defensive duties.

However, therein lies some of the problems I'm afraid.

Cornell

Caprice. Mcgregor mair. Grainger

Goodwin

Teale. McGowan. McGinn

Thompson. Bahoken

We don't have a natural left winger which upsets the balance of the

team if we did I would play 5 in the middle with a lone striker or even

a 4 3 3,

With cheesy Newton McLean harkins and Reilly on the bench

no place at all for DVZ his times up I'm afraid

We have Yacub and Dillion that can play wide left. Another option is to push Granger in to the midfield and play Mair at left back

Lets go straight forward grind a result. Put McGregor or Naismith in and push Goodwin forward, maybe put Mair in at left back and push Granger forward.

A no nonsense 4-4-2

=========Cornell =============

DVZ, =McAusland=McGregor=, Mair,

Teal, =Goodwin = McGowan = Granger

Thommo = Bahoken

For me Macausland has to come out. The defence needs a balance to it that it doesnt have right now. If Goodwin is the composed experienced leader his partner needs to be a solid aggressive athlete. Cheesy simply isn't that. That been said ive been really disappointed with Goodwin lately his positional sense as a centre half is abysmal. Grainger's had to cover for him plenty of times.

Another disappointment is the lack of a natural left winger add to that the fact that Higginbotham ran the show for Thistle yesterday and he was available on a free in the summer. Do we have a scouting network or do we just wait for agents to hand us dvds?

Edited by Dan Is The Man

Cornell

Caprice McGregor Mair Grainger

Goodwin Newton

Teale McGowan McLean

Thompson

McGregor gets ahead of Cheesy due to his threat at set plays.

I'm afraid i would adopt the dogs of war tactics and set fitba back 30 years by hitting long to Thommo and let Teale.McGowan,McLean play off second balls.

Due to our imbalance in our squad we haven't the players for any decent passing game

Interesting that a lot of people are pushing Goodwin up to sit in front of the back four, that's what I would do.... One of the reasons our defence is so bad is because they are left exposed time and again. Our first aim has to be to make ourselves hard to beat and that needs to be built on a strong defence and holding midfielder if we can do that it will give our attacking players the platform to start doing what they should be doing which is causing the other team problems!

Changing the players and formation won't make the slightest bit of difference whilst Danny Lennon is in charge.

As long as he continues to send his players out to follow his pseudo-Barcelona tactics we are going to continue giving away possession in dangerous areas and continue to allow the opposition to get all their men behind the ball when we attack!

My first choice XI is:

Cornell

Mair - McAusland - Goodwin - Grainger

McLean - Newton - McGinn - Teale

Bahoken - Thompson

Get the ball forward quickly, get Bahoken chasing down the channels, get McLean & Teale cutting inside, don't allow the full back to attack, no passing in your own half, inswinging set plays, long throw ins, zonal defending.

I think we got "roasted" because our wide defenders were palying too narrow. DVZ especially. Now I don't know if that was fear of being skinned on the inside or if it was tactical.

I don't think Harkins is lazy at all. I've seen him track back plenty of times in his first few games for us.

The first half of last season Goodwin was playing as a holding midfield player in front of the back 4. It gave our back 4 some protection through the middle and also allowed goodwin to spread the ball really well. I'd like to see him back in this position, but I also think he's play a terrific game at centre back. But something needs to change. I was livid for the first 45 minutes seeing Newton out on the right who constantly drifted more central, possible because Bahoken was meant to play more wide and track back, who knows. But Teale definitely needs to play wide right from the start, alongside Bahoken. Teale is where our chances are more likely to come from, and if you create enough chances for a lad like Bahoken he'll start putting them away (hopefully).

I'd start with:

Cornel
Caprice,Mcausland,mair ,Grainger
Goodwin
Teale ,Newton, McGowan
Bahoken, Thommo

Then you have the likes of Harkins, McGinn and McLean to come on from the bench for new legs when our we get tired. We have a strong team and finally a decent bench. Players need to start playing in the roles they were brought in for and play a passing game that was meant to be our "brand" of football. Not everyone out of position and hoofing long balls up to thommo.

I think we got "roasted" because our wide defenders were palying too narrow. DVZ especially. Now I don't know if that was fear of being skinned on the inside or if it was tactical.

I don't think Harkins is lazy at all. I've seen him track back plenty of times in his first few games for us.

I was thinking the same - we got roasted because Newton was stuck covering the right all by himself - DVZ kept getting pulled in leaving him exposed. Harkins was the one player on Saturday who when he got the ball at his feet you actually thought something might happen.

I'm constantly bemused by some on this website - I've heard people moaning about our 2 best players being left on the bench yesterday - and about how this is further evidence of Danny's tactical ineptitude. Probably the same people who spent the last month moaning that Gowzer and Harkins cant play in the same team (Harkins looks more of a goal threat to me at the moment, although to be fair to Gowzer, in attempting to fit them both in the team has been played far to deep for his liking).

I assumed the decision to bench Teale was down to the fact that he's not exactly in his prime and already played a full 90 minutes mid week - Thommo looked as if he pulled up with cramp towards the end, so I imaging the 2 games was telling on him too.

4-1-3-2

GK. Cornell ( hasn't done much wrong since the season started, pre-season doesn't have a bearing on his abilities)

RB. Van Zanten ( not the best defender but does offer something going forward)

LB. Grainger ( not full match fit but should grow into the team)

CB. McGregor ( need his strength in the air)

CB. Mcausland ( decent enough if not asked to play the ball around - punt it)

DFM. Goodwin (play him where he is best)

LM. McGinn (bemused by his lack of selection this season)

CM. McGowan (again, use him where he is best)

RM. Teale ( best player last season and looking the same so far)

CF. Thomson ( hopefully the addition of SB will ease the burden)

ST. Bahoken ( hopefully the one of the missing pieces)

as i'm just a punter and "know mothing of how a football club runs", I fully expect to be shot down in flames.

My preference is for the current system preferred by most of the German clubs - a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation. My choice

Vanzy / A N Other McGregor/Mair Cheesy Grainger

Newton Goodwin

Teale Gowser Harkins/McLean

Thommo

McGinn to cover defensive mid and to replace Newton when he goes back to NUFC in the new year.

Bahooky to cover Thommo or to come on to change to 4-4-2.

Defensively, we really need a right back and it might be a help to McGregor to double with Mair to get their match fitness up given the few games the've both played this year.

It wouldn't worry me for that system to be called negative or boring. When you're in trouble you need to work hard and grind out results not punt the ball forward as we did on Saturday although I think that might have been the easiest formation for Bahooky to work with given he'd only been here for 24 hours.

Cornell

Vanzy/Caprice Mair Mcgregor Grainger

Goodwin

Teale Newton. Gowser. Mcginn

Thommo

I think it must be changed before the Motherwell game, if Danny selects the same flat back 4 as he has since Inverness then we should give up now, it isn't working, they get exposed too easily and piss about too much, get the team hard to beat first and foremost, stop letting teams run over us. 4 defenders with a holding player in front SHOULD make it harder for teams to get through us.

Harkins is a luxury player so he can't play, we need 11 workers when the chips are down, get the sleeves rolled up and play with a bit of pride for a change