The Cup Final Revisited

Anyone coming on to this thread to whinge about something not connected to the night in question, or indeed spread crap about who was invited, or indicate they have inside knowledge etc, etc.... is and should for ever more be treated as a feckin Morton fan infesting our site....

We won that cup, those players won it, the fans deserved it and who else is going to slap our backs for us if we don't make the effort to recognise our own achievements, even when things aren't going well.

Big Up the fans council..!

Great post, 100% in total agreement

Anyone coming on to this thread to whinge about something not connected to the night in question, or indeed spread crap about who was invited, or indicate they have inside knowledge etc, etc.... is and should for ever more be treated as a feckin Morton fan infesting our site....

We won that cup, those players won it, the fans deserved it and who else is going to slap our backs for us if we don't make the effort to recognise our own achievements, even when things aren't going well.

Big Up the fans council..!

Great post my Dougie Somner loving forum friend, great post indeed.

Rather than jump straight into a 1987 celebration night could we consider a series of nights starting at the very beginning?

1) An 1877 themed night where the story of how our club came to be along with the personal journies behind our original line up and the people who made it happen

2) A 1926 revival night where (like the 1877 night) fans are encouraged to come dressed as someone from that era (ir we could just have both in the same night as the costumes wouldnt change)

3) The story of the Barcelona cup, the summer cup and our 1959 Scottish cup victory. The players behind the victory, the fans who followed and the effect that these victories had on our town, the town of Paisley.

4) A celebration of the 1987 Scottish cup win with fans reliving the memories of that night or what we remember of them anyway.

5) The millenium season re-visited along with our Challenge sup win. The poster to advertise this night could say "Did our bubble burst? come and find out or ssssshhhhhhh!". We could all dress up in shell suits or whatever the youngsters wore in those days.

Anyway glad that you people who attended had a good night. I am liking the new social scene that the fans council are begining to create around Paisley's greatest club ever. Well done fan's council.

Edited by TediousTom

Rather than jump straight into a 1987 celebration night could we consider a series of nights starting at the very beginning?

1) An 1877 themed night where the story of how our club came to be along with the personal journies behind our original line up and the people who made it happen

2) A 1926 revival night where (like the 1877 night) fans are encouraged to come dressed as someone from that era (ir we could just have both in the same night as the costumes wouldnt change)

3) The story of the Barcelona cup, the summer cup and our 1959 Scottish cup victory. The players behind the victory, the fans who followed and the effect that these victories had on out town, the town of Paisley.

4) A celebration of the 1987 with fans reliving the memories of that night or what we remember of them anyway.

5) The millenium season re-visited along with our Challenge sup win. The poster to advertise this night could say "Did our bubble burst? come and find out or ssssshhhhhhh!". We could all dress up in shell suits or whatever the youngsters wore those days.

Anyway glad that you people who attended had a good night. I am liking the new social scene that the fans council are begining to create around Paisley's greatest club ever.

All joking aside, the fans council is looking for fund raising ideas especially were the fans can be involved, Its our club and we all want the best for it, go to fans council website and post your ideas, they will be greatly appreciated, click the link and join in, its to benefit all Saints fans

http://www.supportsmfc.co.uk/index.html

Like it or not, Jon Robertson's arse DID collapse when he was told he was starting at RB and pulled out.

Whether Lennon wanted him out or not, he gave him a chance to show what he could do, and Robertson bottled it.[/quote

Absolute nonsense he had an injury and like any sensible pro informed his manager of that , Danny wanted him out and got his wish , I am just highlighting the fact the john is a just one of a number of players that lennon signed then decided he wanted rid of

If you really are a friend to Jon and he's in any way feeling upset about this then do the decent thing, wrap your arm around his shoulder and tell him that the chances of Lennon ending the contract of a good enough player is zero.

A real friend doesn't pamper to someone just because it's the easy thing to do.

A real friend is the one who'll tell you what you don't WANT to hear but NEED to hear.

Your suggestion is obviously that we should have continued to pay the wages of a man deemed not good enough. Exactly what would have been right about that?

As for his mortgage? WGAS. In ANY business if you're not good enough you'll be out of work - mortgage or not.

Tell Jon to grown a pair.

Edited by oaksoft

3) The story of the Barcelona cup, the summer cup and our 1959 Scottish cup victory. The players behind the victory, the fans who followed and the effect that these victories had on our town, the town of Paisley.

4) A celebration of the 1987 Scottish cup win with fans reliving the memories of that night or what we remember of them anyway.

5) The millenium season re-visited along with our Challenge sup win. The poster to advertise this night could say "Did our bubble burst? come and find out or ssssshhhhhhh!". We could all dress up in shell suits or whatever the youngsters wore in those days.

Anyway glad that you people who attended had a good night. I am liking the new social scene that the fans council are begining to create around Paisley's greatest club ever. Well done fan's council.

Great ideas indeed Tom!

I guess you're the 'Go-To Guy' for all the history, archive material, background and eyewitness accounts of points 1 - 3 thumbup2.gif

I cannot believe this went ahead

why is it hard to believe that a night which was initially proposed and the organising of which began in pre season actually went ahead - if it had been cancelled after all the time spent on it by people who volunteer their services then that would have been unbelievable, the night was always going to happen it needed a theme and the cup win was a great theme,it did not and rightly should not have been influenced by current happenings within our club.

quite frankly i cannot believe that people would try to use this event as a way of moaning

Glad all the players were invited,hope none were prevented from attending though except through choice.

there was a table set aside for players - 10 places at the table all taken up by danny tommy and the eight players, one or two empty seats at other tables so approximately 125 of the 130 places available were filled, which is extremely pleasing, so well done and thanks to those who attended and contributed

So if he wasn't good enough why did Danny sign him in the first place ? Poor judgement by the manager yet again john grows a growing number of players that Danny signed and has now paid off . Not a very good way to operate if u ask me

He was signed because he had potential not because he was the finished article.

Are you deliberately being daft here?

I really enjoyed the cup final night, a big thanks and well done to all involved, the players and more importantly the manager were given great support and encouragement from all who were in attendance.

Jim Goodwin's joke about Isma being one of the highlights of the night. :)

what was the joke about Isma?

why is it hard to believe that a night which was initially proposed and the organising of which began in pre season actually went ahead - if it had been cancelled after all the time spent on it by people who volunteer their services then that would have been unbelievable, the night was always going to happen it needed a theme and the cup win was a great theme,it did not and rightly should not have been influenced by current happenings within our club.

quite frankly i cannot believe that people would try to use this event as a way of moaning

I'm surprised you're surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have expected Shull to mention this but he has not I shall (or I shull).

Is £15 not a bit expensive considering the costs to put on such a night are presumably rather low? Especially if one is only being fed a sandwich buffet!

Why would you not charge £10 and give people (if its going to be over 18's) a pie and a pint? For goodness sake it would only cost about £5 for the pie and pint (probably less) and a handsome £5 profit would be made from each attendee. Not to mention that with increased numbers (due to a lower price)you would be likely to make more money from raffle tickets and at the bar. If I were to attend this night I would have to bring my wife and for the princely sum of £30 we only get a sandwich!

I already own a season ticket and I am attending a golf day. Are you people trying to get my entire months pension?

For the sum of £30 I can take my good lady to a restaurant, have a proper feed and then watch the cup final dvd in my own home. I say this with some authority as that is exactly what I did on Friday. I also had a pint as well for my money!

As much as I do my utmost to support the club (I am really looking forward to Friday at the golf day) I think you are beginning to ask a little too much.

Unfortunately I am not made of money so with regret I will not be attending.

PS Wish you all the best with it.

i did not comment on this post of yours when you made it, but it has now (imo) proved to be very insightful