The Cup Final Revisited

My suspicion is that when it was organised, no-one involved in the organisation of it thought for one minute it would be taking place against the current backdrop of, erm, can't think of a good term. 'Crisis club' is a cliche. Anyway, as Div says, if you don't want to go, don't go - people have worked hard to set this up, they deserve it to go well.

Personally, not for me, I've went for the golf day instead. One of the fan council members organising it was a member at Lochwinnoch GC with me for donkey's years, I want to support his effort in putting this on. Besides, £70 is a good deal for a breakfast, 18 holes at Paisley GC, a two course dinner, prizes, and a fourball with St Mirren players and staff. I appreciate that a lot of folk might think £70 to hit a wee white ball into a hole in the ground is the height of stupidity - but there you go!

I'm particularly looking forward to the 'chip the ball into the League Cup' competition. 5 goes for a pound from 25 yards. Bring it on.

My suspicion is that when it was organised, no-one involved in the organisation of it thought for one minute it would be taking place against the current backdrop of, erm, can't think of a good term. 'Crisis club' is a cliche. Anyway, as Div says, if you don't want to go, don't go - people have worked hard to set this up, they deserve it to go well.

Personally, not for me, I've went for the golf day instead. One of the fan council members organising it was a member at Lochwinnoch GC with me for donkey's years, I want to support his effort in putting this on. Besides, £70 is a good deal for a breakfast, 18 holes at Paisley GC, a two course dinner, prizes, and a fourball with St Mirren players and staff. I appreciate that a lot of folk might think £70 to hit a wee white ball into a hole in the ground is the height of stupidity - but there you go!

I'm particularly looking forward to the 'chip the ball into the League Cup' competition. 5 goes for a pound from 25 yards. Bring it on.

Normally I would decry paying any money to hit a wee white ball as being a travesty of justice and sense, the bit that gets me this time though is that you'll be paying money to do so in the company of Tedious Tom. (No offence, TT. No offence intended, indeed...)

I have been thinking that if I was DL and was inexplicably partnered with TT, then I would walk away from the job. Now. :)

Normally I would decry paying any money to hit a wee white ball as being a travesty of justice and sense, the bit that gets me this time though is that you'll be paying money to do so in the company of Tedious Tom. (No offence, TT. No offence intended, indeed...)

I have been thinking that if I was DL and was inexplicably partnered with TT, then I would walk away from the job. Now. :)

An interesting alias for sure. Not a new one I suspect, nor is his name Tom.

We used to play Forum 5s with guys on the feeshal' forum. Up to the first game of 5s we only knew each other from the nonsense we posted on the forum. I didn't agree with some of the stuff posted by some of the guys, they didn't agree with a lot of the guff posted by me. None of that even remotely carried into our games of fives. Just a bunch of fans playing fitba' - was good while it lasted. I'd be surprised if any forum posting creates any problems whatseoever between the dome fitba' guys these days, or at the golf tomorrow.

My tuppence worth - good of the club to think of a night to bring fans and players together other than the annual which are very expensive. BUT it is too earlier (IMO) it should be on St.Mirren's day next year. ALso the £15 is (again IMO) quite hefty - they'll make their money from the bar no probs!

I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the players at Auds's leaving do then again at the dinner, ive got my fotos, my ticket and prog signed and I have my dvd. And most importantly - my memories. Hope it's a successful event and hope we get a win before it!!

My tuppence worth - good of the club to think of a night to bring fans and players together other than the annual which are very expensive. BUT it is too earlier (IMO) it should be on St.Mirren's day next year. ALso the £15 is (again IMO) quite hefty - they'll make their money from the bar no probs!

I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the players at Auds's leaving do then again at the dinner, ive got my fotos, my ticket and prog signed and I have my dvd. And most importantly - my memories. Hope it's a successful event and hope we get a win before it!!

Not the club that running it, Its the Fans Council who also ran the very successful golf day, This why they were formed to try bring fans together to raise some cash for youths at the club and other ventures, starting to bear fruits, well done to all of them for at least trying to do something, but as usual the fans who think there uber cool try to down there efforts, they should be ashamed of themselves,

Not the club that running it, Its the Fans Council who also ran the very successful golf day, This why they were formed to try bring fans together to raise some cash for youths at the club and other ventures, starting to bear fruits, well done to all of them for at least trying to do something, but as usual the fans who think there uber cool try to down there efforts, they should be ashamed of themselves,

Right ok fans council but tho working alongside the club who have to agree to it obv. Uber cool???? - no - trying to down their efforts - no. Ashamed of myself - no. I merely said IMO it was too early but wish it to be a successful night and £15 for me personally to attend such an evening is too much money.

Just because I am not going doesnt mean I am trying to slag them off, so don't try to make it out as such.

Believe me, of all the things I might have cause to be ashamed about, expressing an opinion on this event ranks somewhere below wiping the dug shite off my shoe on a neighbours lawn when I was 8 years old.

hopefully this will be a good night, for me it's a chance to get out on a sunday when i'd usually be stuck in front of the tv or typing away on here, it will not suit some people but on the other hand others have decided to go and have a good night whilst lending financial support to the fans council initiatives, tickets are selling well and i am looking forward to having a chat about our team with a few players and the manager and also with other fans - face to face - as opposed to on here where i have tended to take a bit of a backseat these days.

call it ill timed if you like but the planning started pre season and it proved difficult to get a date that suited the invited guests, as to the suggestion that money will be made from the bar - i can assure you the fans council will not get any profit from bar sales and neither will the club, the bar has to be staffed and the staff wages paid from any profit (i have no idea whether it will even cover the wage bill)

nobody is being ripped off, it is obviously entirely up to the individual if they wish to attend or not, the few members of the fans council who have organised this night have done a wonderful job and spent many long hours of their own time in doing so.

at the next council meeting i will take forward points regarding affordability for some people and suggest we look at making future events more affordable to a wider group of fans, we are learning from these events and will judge their success or failures and look to improve on what we can offer, money raised from this event will be used to set up future events and support youth development, just in case anybody thinks it goes to pay club debts - it doesn't

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised this has not been mentioned today.

I've changed my mind and will attend. I still don't agree with the timing, but since Saints fans are organising this event for Youth Development I'd like to support their efforts and the future of the club.

Could actually be a good thing for the club. A bit of positivity can only help.

Maybe the club should arrange a free bar and get the place rocking. Aye right!

Well done the Fans Council. Let's hope it is a good night!

If anyone is going from Elderslie that wants to share a cab PM me.

lol.gif

Thanks to everyone who came along this evening, it was a terrific night. Special mention to the players and, in particular, the manager who showed immense class for coming along, sharing his memories and chatting with fans throughout the night.

Was a fantastic night well done to all who worked on it Alan Doak, Alan Gallagher and Fraser Burns, Raised great money for all the things the fans council have planned, Well done Danny and the players for coming, Wee Gowser and Goody were hilarious, Great night,thumbup2.gif

Edited by santaponsasaint

It was an enjoyable wee night and much better than I thought it would be given our plight in the league. Danny did very well given the circumstances and said as we all know that the core of the cup winning side are still in that dressing room so if we stick together we can turn this round.

It's now up to the player's to prove whether or not they want to play for the manager or not and get us out of this mess.

Thanks to everyone who came along this evening, it was a terrific night. Special mention to the players and, in particular, the manager who showed immense class for coming along, sharing his memories and chatting with fans throughout the night.

Hear, hear. Just got back home and thoroughly enjoyed the night. Was really impressed by the camaraderie among the players and passion from Lennon.

He's clearly not getting removed any time soon and, that being the case, will likely be in charge until the next international break after the Hearts game so we move onto Aberdeen on Monday week and hope that things turn around for us.

I found myself wanting to cheer for him whenever he spoke tonight. Not sure why, because I'm as scunnered as the next guy about how we're playing. I guess it`'s because he's our Manager and I want him to succeed. He's hurting at the moment too, that much was evident. I just hope he's got a similar performance in store for us on the park next week because we need it, badly.