James Mccarthy

Even if the sell on clause was only 10% then that would still be 1.3 million. Bet he is wishing he had insisted on 20% now. Another window closes and Kenny is still with us, hopefully he gets his head down and wins himself a move in January otherwise he will then be going into the last 18 months of his contract and his value will diminish. Lets face it we got buttons for Stephen McGinn.

Not sure if I agree or disagree but just genuinely interested, why do you think that?

I cant speak for him but I disagree. This is based on my opinion and not on anything else, I think McLean will go at the end of the season when his contract runs out, the contract he is on is not worth paying a large amount of money to buy him out. This is to do withthe contract that he is on and not his ability.

What Hamilton did was have McCarthey on a 4-5 year contract so that they knew if someone wanted them they would have to buy out the full contract no-one will pay big bucks for a contract that isn't worth big bucks.

I still think Kenny has the ability to move on to a better paid contract elsewhere but think it will be on a free rather than because someone has paid for him. I feel Danny has tried his best to replicate what Reid did with the McCarthey boy but it has not worked out, too many transfer windows have come and gone without having received any bids for Kenny, this has been down to a couple of things mainly him getting injuries at really unfortunate times and he doesn't really boss games the same wat McCarthey does all be it their records were quite similar in respect of games played and goals scored.

McGinn is younger and (last season anyway) was making an impact in midfield, he can mix it up, ie tackles well, has a great range of passing, good shot and he has broken his duck so should be looking to kick on in the goals scoring charts. He has also a few more years on his contract which would need to be bought out. He comes from a well known footballing family which can help too and is regarded as the best of the three brothers for his age and Stephen has been quite highly thought of by people.

This is all just guess work though, none of it is meant to be negative about either of the players as personally I'd rather keep them than sell them unless we can get a deal that matches/betters what Hamilton received for McCarthey.

Regarding McGinn and McLean irrespective of what you think of their respective talents, McLean has so far shown to have more goals in him so I would not be surprised to see him go first and for more money.

McLean was in October of his 2nd season (2011/12) when he scored his first goal for St Mirren, McGinn scored in his first season (2012/13). Just saying.

What Hamilton did was have McCarthey on a 4-5 year contract so that they knew if someone wanted them they would have to buy out the full contract no-one will pay big bucks for a contract that isn't worth big bucks.

It was a 3 year contract he signed.

I think McLean is a better player than McGinn, both have different qualities and are capable of furthering their careers.

Edited by davidg

Their chairman was on the radio refusing to say how much they actually got but saying that it will pay for their new synthetic pitch . FFS they got rid of the grass again. .

My son played a pre season friendly at the place on the astro turf. I was speaking to one of the groundstaff who said that all the youth teams will also play home games on the new surface. Saving them money and also the park will be useable during the winter.

It was a 3 year contract he signed.

I think McLean is a better player than McGinn, both have different qualities and are capable of furthering their careers.

ah well I knew it was l longer than 1 or 2 years. Not sure I could pick who was better as you point out they both have different qualities. I would agree though they both have potential for big futures. Edited by Hambud

I think since the turn of the year, Mcginn has showed more consistency in turning in good performances. McLean seems to be a player who goes through spells of form, though there is no doubt he is a talent. I still do think though that Mclean woukd be better played through the middle for value of goals, though we seem to be flooded witg central midfielders.

I spoke to James' Dad this morning at the Airport. He's actually signed a 6 year deal with Everton. Good luck to him. Now who refused to pick him for Scotland? An ex Saint..................Archie Knox.Posted Image

not read through the thread but the lad was given every chance to play with Scotland but refused rather picking Ireland through his grandfathers Irish blood both his parents were born in Scotland. To me he sounds a right bigot of the highest caliber

not read through the thread but the lad was given every chance to play with Scotland but refused rather picking Ireland through his grandfathers Irish blood both his parents were born in Scotland. To me he sounds a right bigot of the highest caliber

excuse given on radio hootsmon was that he was attached to his cousins in ireland through holidays there and felt more irish than scottish

family brainwashing is a specialty of the celtic peoples