Brookmyre's St Mirren Dream Team.

shull

Indeed. Players used to keep fit and eat less shite back in the 80s.

Disagree with Brookmyre's selection. Mine is better.

Les Fridge; - Bobby Law - Lex Baillie - Neil Orr - Mark Reid; - Kenny Gillies - Andy Dow - Sean Lynch - Jim Gardner; - Alan Irvine, Alex Bone

Could play this lot in a Legends match - I've tried to leave out youth players who came into struggling Saints sides in our last two spells in Div. 1!

Bald

Makela Fabiani Manley McQuilter Beattie

Okore Dick Twaddle Kinsey

Renfurm Fellner

Edited by Bud the Baker

I've chosen players mostly from the 90's era. Most of these players would have played together hence the reason we were so crap. I thought these players were particularly brutal!

Derek Scrimgour, Bobby Dawson, Bobby Law, Brian Smith, Mark Reid, Grant Inglis, Sergei Baltatcha, Andy Dow, Jim Gardner, Alex 'Vialli' Bone and John Boyd

The best thing about watching us in the 90's was seeing some of the promising youngsters we had coming through. Basher, Baker and Gillies probably being the pick of the bunch. Brian Hetherston on his day was class!

The one that played for us!

3 goals in 39 games, he made Billy Mehmet appear prolific.

He was the bother of Aberdeen's Brian Irvine. Just found that out on Wikipedia!

How the f**k did he ever manage to get a game for Liverpool...

I thought we had 2 that played for us around the same time.

One was a big centre forward and the other a small winger type.

Mike Conroy was good for everyone bar us

Could play this lot in a Legends match - I've tried to leave out youth players who came into struggling Saints sides in our last two spells in Div. 1!

Bald

Makela Manley McQuilter Beattie

Renfurm Fellner

Got to take you to task on a couple of these selections...

Makela's selection is a tad harsh. From what I remember, Makela only played one game and was carted off injured in the first half! Made his debut alongside Paul Fenwick? I think we signed Mark Yardley around the same time.

I loved Jim Dick! He provided some incredible moments of comedy and he was none too bad a player either.

I remember a game at Cappielow and I was in the Main Stand. The game had stopped for a player to get treatment and Dick was over at the Main Stand side getting pelters from the Morton fans. He stood with his back to the stand and feigned that he was stretching his shorts and basically mooned at the stand. The punters in the stand were going bananas, asking the Police, who weren't interested, to take some action! Quality.

His sending off at Kilbowie was class as well. That was the game we beat Clydebank 2-1 with 9 men. Martin Baker was the other sent off with what I basically remember was a rugby tackle on the Bankies player who was clean through.

It was like the Alamo at the end but we managed to hold out!

I thought we had 2 that played for us around the same time.

One was a big centre forward and the other a small winger type.

Mike Conroy was good for everyone bar us

Can't think of a small winger??

It was Fitzy who signed Irvine and he played the following season under Davie Hay. The wingers that season were Stickroth & David Elliot. Julian Broddle played on the left wing as well.

Bald

Makela Manley McQuilter Beattie

Renfurm Fellner

Billy Bald falls into that category.

Poor guy made his one and only appearance at Alloa on the last day of the 2002-03 season. Not his fault that his team mates couldn't be arsed and we lost by 4-0.

Makela's selection is a tad harsh. From what I remember, Makela only played one game and was carted off injured in the first half! Made his debut alongside Paul Fenwick? I think we signed Mark Yardley around the same time.

I loved Jim Dick! He provided some incredible moments of comedy and he was none too bad a player either.

I remember a game at Cappielow and I was in the Main Stand. The game had stopped for a player to get treatment and Dick was over at the Main Stand side getting pelters from the Morton fans. He stood with his back to the stand and feigned that he was stretching his shorts and basically mooned at the stand. The punters in the stand were going bananas, asking the Police, who weren't interested, to take some action! Quality.

His sending off at Kilbowie was class as well. That was the game we beat Clydebank 2-1 with 9 men. Martin Baker was the other sent off with what I basically remember was a rugby tackle on the Bankies player who was clean through.

Didn't Jim Dick also try and drag an injured player off the park at one point? Think it may have been at Crappielow? Maybe I'm getting confused in me old age.......

Billy Bald falls into that category.

Poor guy made his one and only appearance at Alloa on the last day of the 2002-03 season. Not his fault that his team mates couldn't be arsed and we lost by 4-0.

He wasn't one of our youth players, his circumstances might have been unfortunate but you could probably say the same about some others - he's staying in my team.

I'm dredging the depths here, but yeah, I seem to remember Makela was injured in his only appearance for us (the single appearance was the reason I chose him), although I remain unconvinced that he was a footballer I'll replace him with Roland Fabiani.

For consistent mediocrity and possessing the least convincing dive ever seen in Scottish football Dick still gets my vote.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I've got to agree with Isabella (for once!). Jim Dick was not a bad player at all when he concentrated on the game and was a class apart compared to some/many who disgraced the black & white stripes in the 90s. However, he was a bit of a 'character' and wasn't averse to putting the boot in, diving, winding the opposition fans up. That was the only entertainment we got in a quite a few seasons.

Edited by Edinbuddie

I've chosen players mostly from the 90's era. Most of these players would have played together hence the reason we were so crap. I thought these players were particularly brutal!

Derek Scrimgour, Bobby Dawson, Bobby Law, Brian Smith, Mark Reid, Grant Inglis, Sergei Baltatcha, Andy Dow, Jim Gardner, Alex 'Vialli' Bone and John Boyd

Inglis came from the Juniors in his late 20's and was offered a F/T contract but turned it down 'cos he had a good job in the RealWorldTM IIRC, spent a few seasons in the lower divisions after that - we had a lot worse during that period.

Baltacha was an enigma, he seemed to jump less than his standing height, good with the ball but didn't relish the physical side of the game and once that was realized his time was up - probably deserves his place in the Hall of Shame!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Bald

Makela Fabiani Manley McQuilter Beattie

Renfurm Fellner

Fellner was actually quite good ,I think he played as a trialist and we couldn,t afford him ,McQuilter did okay ,cost us nothing and I reckon wouldhave become a good player for us if he never picked up injuries ,and Kinsey only played a couple of games for us and scored.

Players for a St Mirren duds team , for me would include Dow, McPherson , Twaddle ,Mark Reid,Charnley , and Eric Sinclair

Scott Strang for worst goalkeeper, played as a trialist in a 1-4 defeat at Dingwall as our other keepers (Hillcoat and Robertson I think) were injured. Although there is a school of thought which says Gordon Marshall was worse due to him having a better reputation.

Fellner was actually quite good ,I think he played as a trialist and we couldn,t afford him ,McQuilter did okay ,cost us nothing and I reckon wouldhave become a good player for us if he never picked up injuries ,and Kinsey only played a couple of games for us and scored.

Players for a St Mirren duds team , for me would include Dow, McPherson , Twaddle ,Mark Reid,Charnley , and Eric Sinclair

I never rated any of the players I picked but part of the reason I chose that 11 was that it was completely different from ID's. Players get mentioned in these threads for a variety of reasons and the last three players you mentioned could form the basis for a third unique team shutup.gif although prior to his injury Reid looked competent albeit perhaps not VFM I'm surprised and disappointed that I missed Charnley & Sinclair.

Scott Strang for worst goalkeeper, played as a trialist in a 1-4 defeat at Dingwall as our other keepers (Hillcoat and Robertson I think) were injured. Although there is a school of thought which says Gordon Marshall was worse due to him having a better reputation.

So really you want to swap one emergency keeper who played one match and conceded four goals for another - fair enough.

Got to take you to task on a couple of these selections...I

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1UoZZ9Gv4zM

Edited by HSS

An excellent article in the Daily Record where Chris reveals his highs and lows of supporting Saints.

Also his dream team, which is ..

Money, Beckett, Clarke, Fitzy, Copland, Fulton, McAvennie, Aber, Somner, Lexy and Scan.

What a f**king Team !

Harsh to leave Billy Stark and Frank McGarvey out and I'd have Bobby Reid in place of Mark Fulton, Clarke at right back in place of Beckett, Iain Munro at left back and Peter Weir in place of Scanlon..

Indeed. Players used to keep fit and eat less shite back in the 80s.

Disagree with Brookmyre's selection. Mine is better.

Les Fridge; - Bobby Law - Lex Baillie - Neil Orr - Mark Reid; - Kenny Gillies - Andy Dow - Sean Lynch - Jim Gardner; - Alan Irvine, Alex Bone

Alex Bone, FFS thumbup2.gif - you've forgotten Michael Renfurm zorro.gif

Like I said earlier players can get into a Worst 11 for a variety of reasons, Kenny McDowall was with us for over 10 years and scored 2/3 goals per season over that period - he would be on my list were it not for one game in May'87.

And of course a goal he scored at Ibrox ruining Mo Johnstones debut!!!