Accommodating Jim?

Today we changed formation yet again to a 3-5-2.

Now to me, this served one purpose and one purpose only. Bringing back a good, solid centre half in Darren McGregor, whilst meaning not having to drop the skipper, whose performances are becoming increasingly erratic, bordering on shambolic.

I said it weeks ago and stand by it, the Goodwin centre-half experiment has failed and failed badly and it's time to accept it. He's a constant danger of giving away a penalty and/or walking a red card tightrope as he is usually booked early doors. Today, like most of this season, he seems to revel in dropping to the edge of the box to take the goalie's short by-kicks, before either passing it to a full-back (50% of the time), humping it out of the park (25% of the time), or putting us under severe pressure from an onrushing opposition player (25% of the time).

I lost count of how many times today he ploughed through McGregor for a clearing header when the ball was clearly McGregor's to win. He is (or at least was) a very good holding midfielder....he's never in a million years an effective centre-half. If he doesn't have the legs for the midfield enforcer role any more, well that's just tough titty. Because he's doing us more harm than good playing the way he is and where he is.

I like Jim, he's a good guy and has been a great skipper.....but he's not a centre-half. Nowhere even close.

Goodwin gave his all today why are you slating the captain? Does he pick the team and does he set the tactics?

He won some headers, as any centre half should, don't make it out to be "his all". He constantly puts us in trouble, pushes everyone he goes near, was lucky no5 to go off with a tackle in the second half, can't motivate and is under some insane belief that he's a dead ball expert. Oh and he's constantly out of position.

Goodwin gave his all today why are you slating the captain? Does he pick the team and does he set the tactics?

You obviously haven't taken in anything i'm saying. My criticism is of the fact that the tactics are being set out to accommodate him, not that it's Jim setting the tactics out FFS. That's a quite obvious criticism of Danny Lennon on my part.

Do you think his performances have been of a decent standard at centre-half. aside from 100% effort (which is the bare minimum I'd expect of my captain)?

You obviously haven't taken in anything i'm saying. My criticism is of the fact that the tactics are being set out to accommodate him, not that it's Jim setting the tactics out FFS. That's a quite obvious criticism of Danny Lennon on my part.

Do you think his performances have been of a decent standard at centre-half. aside from 100% effort (which is the bare minimum I'd expect of my captain)?

He wasn't the worst centre half on display today. Nor was he the best.

Goodwin and McGregor at the back next week please.

I didn't think he was that bad but he did annoy me when he kept asking the ball from the keeper.

A. When he was facing his own goal

B. A Motherwell player 3 yards from him.

He wasted 2 free kicks in good postions trying to float them in when a old fashioned blast would have done.

I noticed he was on the penalty but that got overturned.

I think he's trying too hard one of the few i may add but he should stick to defending which he wasn't that bad

Just back from the game. I thought Goodwin is a liability as CB thought magregor and cheesy were ok. As much as I like thopmson I thought he was poor today again. Bankonen really not sure. He is a bit of a headless chicken and saints players dint really want to pass to him even when he was in a good position. Caprice looked fast I would start him next game. Thought McGowan did well.

He was excellent his first 3 or 4 games at centre half and that's all it should have been, a quick fix. He simply isn't a centre half. He is much better suited sitting deep in midfield, mopping up behind Newton and McGowan. He is one of the worst headers of a ball in the game right now, he is only capable of heading it in which ever direction he is facing. He needs to either be moved up into midfield or a spell on the bench.

I thought Mr Goodwin was pretty poor today and wee Dan the manager man took an almighty risk in letting him run out for the second half. Bearing in mind he had a yellow card and had already given away another foul.

Mr Goodwin at centre half was supposed to be a stop gap measure when our first team playing squad was decimated through injuries. It would now appear that wee Dan the manager man somehow thinks that he is the answer to our defensive problems. Bearing in mind we have just had a transfer window I am very frustrated at this situation, very frustrated indeed.

My mood is low this evening but I will refrain from repeating all the points that I made after the Partick Thistle game. Needless to say our problems worsen and the need for resolution only deepens.