Billy Connolly Health

pozbaird

Prostrate cancer treatment and diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. (Anyone made a joke yet involving a certain chat show host?). No? Good.

Many of the Big Yin's comedy routines have had tears of laughter running down my face - most of his 'audience with' show in fact. The incontinence pants routine, the big slipper... Absolutely loved his 'World Tour' TV shows, his Parkinson appearances, his acting roles, and plays like 'Just Another Saturday'.

A legend IMHO. Best wishes and all that.

Prostrate cancer treatment and diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. (Anyone made a joke yet involving a certain chat show host?). No? Good.

Many of the Big Yin's comedy routines have had tears of laughter running down my face - most of his 'audience with' show in fact. The incontinence pants routine, the big slipper... Absolutely loved his 'World Tour' TV shows, his Parkinson appearances, his acting roles, and plays like 'Just Another Saturday'.

A legend IMHO. Best wishes and all that.

He was really an icon and a really funny man.

Prefer Elephant Graveyard for his acting ability.

I've enjoyed some of Connollys routines and TV shows as much as the next man, but I can't believe the number of people on Facebook that I've seen wishing him a speedy recovery and willing him to fight. For what? He's been diagnosed as having Parkinsons - a brain cell wasting disease that is going to initially affect his movement, is likely to make him extremely depressed and frustrated, and lead to the indignity of dementia. Parkinsons is a condition that is incurable.

No-one would wish cancer on someone who is fit and well, but in this case it may well be that a death from prostate cancer would be a blessed relief for both the man and his family.

StuD gets it bang on again, just ask this guy. 22 years after being diagnosed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-michael-j-fox-show-putting-parkinsons-at-the-heart-of-the-story-8820261.html

Your trolling's slipping, have you had yourself checked out yet (for your sake, not by one of those doctors who's only in it for the money, though).

StuD gets it bang on again, just ask this guy. 22 years after being diagnosed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-michael-j-fox-show-putting-parkinsons-at-the-heart-of-the-story-8820261.html

Your trolling's slipping, have you had yourself checked out yet (for your sake, not by one of those doctors who's only in it for the money, though).

Trolling? Don't think so. I'm talking from personal experience.

My Dad was 63 when he started to show signs of dementia. Initially it was the silly little things. He'd start repeating himself, telling the same stories over and over. He'd been travelling to his deaf club in the Gorbals by bus for loads of years but suddenly he'd start to get on the wrong bus and find himself getting lost. He'd also been a qualified electrician all his life but one day tried to change over a light switch without turning the power supply off. It was so mild that my Mum had an almighty argument with the GP when he claimed that she was wrong and that my Dad didn't have dementia - he was just getting a bit dotty. And while the whole experience was clearly annoying for my Mum, my Dad seemed perfectly happy in his own blissful ignorance.

He was diagnosed with bowel cancer when he was 65. By now his dementia had developed to the point where he was regularly wetting the bed and he'd started to get really frustrated with what he thought were ants running around on his dinner plate, and he'd developed what appeared to be a fear of brushing his teeth. The GP was now firmly of the opinion that he did have dementia and it fell to the family to decide whether his bowel cancer should be treated or not. We decided that it should be treated and it was without doubt the wrong decision. Immediately after the op to remove the tumour by Dad's quality of life deteriorated. He was now in a great deal of pain from the op and he couldn't understand the reason he had been cut open. You could tell him it was to remove a tumour but within minutes he'd forget again. He started to turn violent lashing out at my Mum, at nurses, at Doctors, and at social workers and he never came home again. He was moved to an old folks home for the deaf and when that closed he moved to the home in Penilee. He lived out the last five years of his life in what appeared to be complete and utter agony, never understanding why he was in so much pain. His agitation was constant, he could never sit or settle and he certainly couldn't sleep.

Now you and others might wish that on Billy Connelly but having seen it first hand I wouldn't. As I said last night maybe, if he has Parkinsons, the cancer is a blessed relief.

• 2 weeks later...

Prostate cancer survival rates - 85% for 70 year olds.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/prostate/survival/prostate-cancer-survival-statistics

Another fail, get to the doctor. Quickly!

And here's another to add to that survival rate. thumbup2.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24358114

Dunno if I mentioned this on this forum before, but 99% of ALL men die with prostate cancer.

They die with it, but they die of other causes in the main. However prostate cancer IS present in most men over the age of 60. Treatment is never needed in the majority but if necessary the condition can be monitored, in case things change.

On being informed that your prostate has traces of cancer, it's... er....a bit of a boot in the baws, no doubt... but when the facts surrounding it are explained, most men are reassured.

Unless, of course, there is an unusually aggressive cancer. In which case, early treatment does have good outcomes.

This post is just to encourage people with problems in that department to talk to the medics. Don't ignore it, hoping it'll sort itself out.

It's silly to be brave and modest... and die young.

Dunno if I mentioned this on this forum before, but 99% of ALL men die with prostate cancer.

They die with it, but they die of other causes in the main. However prostate cancer IS present in most men over the age of 60. Treatment is never needed in the majority but if necessary the condition can be monitored, in case things change.

On being informed that your prostate has traces of cancer, it's... er....a bit of a boot in the baws, no doubt... but when the facts surrounding it are explained, most men are reassured.

Unless, of course, there is an unusually aggressive cancer. In which case, early treatment does have good outcomes.

This post is just to encourage people with problems in that department to talk to the medics. Don't ignore it, hoping it'll sort itself out.

It's silly to be brave and modest... and die young.

One of my uncle's - who is in his 70s - got diagnosed a wee while back but we didn't know about it until he got the all clear. He went straight to the doc's when he first had a concern then was referred to the hospital. Good to know he still got a bit of life in him.

I very seldom respond in a personal way to posts on here. However I feel the need to respond to Stuart dicksons post regarding his poor fathers plight in the final years of his life. It must have been painful to write, I certainly found it painful and moving to read. At the the risk of sounding patronising, Stuart and his family have clearly been through hell and I just wanted to acknowledge that. I know it's just an Internet forum and we are very unlikely to meet, but my god sometimes we need to just stop and really read and feel what someone is writing. I never met your dad Stuart but he would be a very proud man indeed to see his son honouring his life. Perhaps your experience will lighten someone else's load on here. God bless you buddie

"Dunno if I mentioned this on this forum before, but 99% of ALL men die with prostate cancer.

It's silly to be brave and modest... and die young."

Prostate cancer facts and figures

See and share our infographic on prostate cancer risk.

Figures marked with an asterisk have been rounded. The more precise figures are at the bottom of the page.

Across the UK
  • Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men.
  • Every hour one man dies from prostate cancer - that's more than 10,000 every year.
  • Over 40,000* men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year - that's more than 100* men diagnosed every day.
  • It's estimated that by 2030, prostate cancer will be the most common cancer.
  • One in eight men will get prostate cancer.
  • Over a quarter of a million* men are living with and after prostate cancer.
  • Two out of three adults don't know what the prostate gland does.

Where did you get your 99% figure?

Edited by smcc

"Dunno if I mentioned this onhttp://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/question-time-on-rangers-accounts-138068n.22315330 this forum before, but 99% of ALL men die with prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer facts and figures

See and share our infographic on prostate cancer risk.

Figures marked with an asterisk have been rounded. The more precise figures are at the bottom of the page.

Across the UK

• Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men.
  • Every hour one man dies from prostate cancer - that's more than 10,000 every year.
  • Over 40,000* men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year - that's more than 100* men diagnosed every day.
  • It's estimated that by 2030, prostate cancer will be the most common cancer.
  • One in eight men will get prostate cancer.
  • Over a quarter of a million* men are living with and after prostate cancer.
  • Two out of three adults don't know what the prostate gland does.
Where did you get your 99% figure?

Can't recall the source, but it is not that we are diagnosed with it, not that it is acknowledged as a symptomatic condition, which is what your quotes and the link are concerned with... but that bodies examined post mortem have been shown to have the disease, in situ but not aggressive.

As I noted, we'll nearly all die WITH it, but not because of it.

Edited by bluto

I very seldom respond in a personal way to posts on here. However I feel the need to respond to Stuart dicksons post regarding his poor fathers plight in the final years of his life. It must have been painful to write, I certainly found it painful and moving to read. At the the risk of sounding patronising, Stuart and his family have clearly been through hell and I just wanted to acknowledge that. I know it's just an Internet forum and we are very unlikely to meet, but my god sometimes we need to just stop and really read and feel what someone is writing. I never met your dad Stuart but he would be a very proud man indeed to see his son honouring his life. Perhaps your experience will lighten someone else's load on here. God bless you buddie

No offence, but is that the first post of Stu Dicks you have read??shutup.gif