Your Favourite Last Minute Saints Goal?

Jimmy H

I can also recall Norrie McWhirter pinging a last minute free kick into the top corner, to break the hearts of the Soapdodgers at Love Street. I can still picture one of the Morton players kicking the ball away to f*ck in frustration.

It was the season between the West Terrace being demolished and the Caledonia Stand being built, so there was nothing behind the goal except for a makeshift car park. Some enterprising fans had parked a lorry there, and danced on its roof as they celebrated the double whammy of Norrie's late goal, and also the fact that they had just succeeded in watching a game for f*ck all from the roof of a lorry.

I can also recall Norrie McWhirter pinging a last minute free kick into the top corner, to break the hearts of the Soapdodgers at Love Street. I can still picture one of the Morton players kicking the ball away to f*ck in frustration.

It was the season between the West Terrace being demolished and the Caledonia Stand being built, so there was nothing behind the goal except for a makeshift car park. Some enterprising fans had parked a lorry there, and danced on its roof as they celebrated the double whammy of Norrie's late goal, and also the fact that they had just succeeded in watching a game for f*ck all from the roof of a lorry.

whistling.gif

Saturday morning and bored at work, thought I would lighten the mood as lots of doom and gloom on the forum at the moment.

To answer my own topic question, I have 4 that spring to mind.

2 from the 99/00 season, Junior away tae Raith, 1-0 down with 90 minutes played big Yards equalises, we are delighted with the draw but JM pops up with a winner.

Same season Paul McKnights last minute winner away to Ayr, the goal which effectively sealed our promotion. Those 2 goals epitomised that glorious season.

Alex Beckett last minute screamer at the piggery [1980 or 81 I think] to beat them 2-1, bizarrely we sacked Jim Clunie after that match.

But my fav last minute goal was away to Bolton in the Anglo Scottish Cup 79/80 the year we won it, tied at 4-4 on aggregate [4-2 to us at Love Street, 2-0 to them at there's] we thought we were out on away goals but unlike Europe away goals counted after extra time, Jimmy Bone pops up with a header from a Lexi cross in the 120th minute to put us through. Mayhem ensued with the large travelling saints support, the poor wee Bolton souls coudny take it and bombarded us with bricks [it was 1980 after all and the norm back then] we didn't care, that trip to Bolton was also the first I was served a pint in a pub LOL..

Any other last minute goals spring to mind buddies?

Whats a goal, well St.mirren goal?

It's got to be McKnight's at Ayr. For lots of reasons. It was a VERY late goal, from memory were we not about 5 or 6 minutes over time? Also, after such a long glorious season, it meant promotion after such a terrible period of underachieving in our history. Also, the size of the Saints support that day. 3000 Buds at an away match in the 1st Division? AND it was a typical, old-fashioned goalmouth scramble followed by a hoof into the top corner. Cue mayhem on the terraces and a mini pitch invasion! f**k...I wish I could re-live it!!!

What a day that was, kicked off by the blaze in the chip van . I was on the pitch myself, magnificent

I honestly don't know what would be my all time favourite. The ones off the top of my head would be...

Newton's in the cup final.

All three in the semi final.

Billy Mehmet - penalty v Celtic and Fir Park semi final goal v Hearts.

Stephen McGinn v Rangers at Love Street.

McGregor v Rangers at Ibrox...great move.

Just so many, and they all mean so much. But perhaps Newton's rasper for now whilst I think of others.

I honestly don't know what would be my all time favourite. The ones off the top of my head would be...

Newton's in the cup final.

All three in the semi final.

Billy Mehmet - penalty v Celtic and Fir Park semi final goal v Hearts.

Stephen McGinn v Rangers at Love Street.

McGregor v Rangers at Ibrox...great move.

Just so many, and they all mean so much. But perhaps Newton's rasper for now whilst I think of others.

And whit aboot yir favourite last minute Saints goal ? whistling.gif

shull wrote:

And whit aboot yir favourite last minute Saints goal ? whistling.gif

I got too excited being positive, got lost in the moment and misread the topic title...

Going to go for the Ricky Gillies goal posted above. Were we down to 10 men at that point with Tom Brown having been sent off?

Regardless I remember Love Street being packed and the ups and downs of the game, with the feel good factor all too infrequently belonging to us, even if only for a week or so.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Been mentioned already but for me it's Paul Mcknights goal away to Ayr in 99/00 season. I was 9 at the time and it was the first season i had been to the majority of home games and several away games and was of course my first taste of success! The terraces at Ayr made for an amazing atmosphere and when the goal went in I'm sure we all thought we had won the league since Dunfermline were drawing or something.. but it was just promotion setting up the raith rovers game at love street thumbup2.gif.

A close second is the 2-1 game at raith rovers that season where Yardley and Mendes scored 2 late goals, I remember falling head first into the next row of seats.

Some cracking memories on here guys, but surprised no one has mentioned a game in Feb/March 77 when we were going for the First Divison title.

My memory is getting hazy now but I think the opponents were Hamilton and we were labouring to a 0-0 draw. Clydebank were our title rivals and with our game still in progress they announced the Bankies result over the tannoy. They had either drawn or lost away to QOS I think. A big cheer goes up, the team gets a lift (allegedly) and Saints promptly score the winner - something tells me it was Derek Hyslop who scored.

I'm sure Accies (or whoever the opponents were) made an official complaint about the announcement. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Someone else must remember this, keep me right guys.

Edited by bingboy

Is there any decent video highlights of the 3-2 game at Motherwell? Only one I can find on YouTube is shit.

Think if you get the Love Street DVD there is the highlights of that game, it definitely popped up on something I was watching during my build up to the League Cup final. I remember thinking heres a treat!!

Some cracking memories on here guys, but surprised no one has mentioned a game in Feb/March 77 when we were going for the First Divison title.

My memory is getting hazy now but I think the opponents were Hamilton and we were labouring to a 0-0 draw. Clydebank were our title rivals and with our game still in progress they announced the Bankies result over the tannoy. They had either drawn or lost away to QOS I think. A big cheer goes up, the team gets a lift (allegedly) and Saints promptly score the winner - something tells me it was Derek Hyslop who scored.

I'm sure Accies (or whoever the opponents were) made an official complaint about the announcement. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

I think you're right with all of that bingboy.

I'm always amazed at the games that mean next to nothing in the grand scheme of things but seem to result in memorable celebrations. I always remember a game in the late 90s I think, maybe under Tony's second stint as manager. 2-0 down to Airdrie at Broadwood with 10mins to go. Big Yardley had been brought on a sub and quickly scored to make it 2-1. Then in the final few desperate minutes, Stuart Munro fired in a long cross from the left & Yardley buried the header past John Martin from about 8 yards. The place went mental & I remember being struck by the sheer elation that 2 late goals in a pretty nothing game could bring.

Apart from that, McKnight at Ayr would take some beating!

Your memory is good.

Our game kicked off at 3:30pm.This was due to the authorities (Police/SFA) making OF games kick off early due to the behaviour of the fans.They thought if they had early kick offs the fans would be sober.:o St Mirren decided on a later kick off hoping to entice OF fans along after their game.It worked as there was a couple of hundred turned up in colours and a great 3 way fight in the North Bank.I don't think that experiment was tried again.:)

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=1594

Accies went nuts about the announcement and,I suppose,you can't really blame them.:)

We played them away the following week and drew 0-0.

Edited by HSS