St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 30/9/13

shull

Bitterly disappointed with the draw after a much improved performance however, if we perform with the same commitment, effort and desire as shown tonight our problems won't be far from being solved.Firstly it was a brave team selection from Danny and his post match interview on Radio Scotland offered a bit more insight into how he may be behind the media glare. The face slipped slightly towards then end of the interview with Chic and he highlighted the lack of the above qualities, despite his previous post match comments this season, when asked why that commitment hadn't been there previously this season. Before he was cut off his comments about Lee Mair were also admirable regardless of what has gone on before and perhaps his stubbornness not to make the decision until his hand was forced.Once again on here and in and around the ground there are voices of discontent with certain players, but I don't think there was a single poor performer tonight. Dilo had a great game.The back 4 defensively we're solid and barring one glaring mistake which ultimately cost us played very well.The compact starting midfield played brilliantly together. Whilst some will say Aberdeen didn't play well, I would argue we didn't let them and the major reason for this was our midfield 4. McGowan supported Thomo well and neither stopped working all night. The amount of balls Thomo won in the air was also commendable and he took his goal very well indeed.Bahoken, on the whole was much better. He held the ball up well and was unlucky at picking the back post for crosses when front post runs were made. Yes there were a few flaws, but Goodwin had a great game despite a few loose passes, DVZ defended brilliantly despite poor ball at the end, both Mair and McGregor put their bodies on the line defending against a Zola overhead kick and Danny despite the overly late sub to bring Teale on made brave decisions that could ultimately have saved his job.The positives tonight far outweigh any negatives. The young left back had a great game also. If offered the performance and result before the game we would have taken it no questions asked.Now it will be that effort every week or to paraphrase Danny, lock the players up in jail....

I'm wondering who or what brought about the 'brave' team selection.

Well done Saints and well done Danny in having the balls to pick such a team.

Some players done better than others but overall we didn't have a failure no one had a bad game.

Whether Danny can turn the season around still remains to be seen but credit where credit is due this was a much improved performance from the whole team.

Well done lads your effort was lapped up by most of the fans where I was, keep up the good work.

Also, we were difficult to beat tonight. Too often I leave our ground feeling that that was the worst xxxx team we've seen down here in a while, frustrated that we've not won. Well, that was as good an Aberdeen side as has visited Paisley in a while and we did well to match them, stifle them and take the game to them at times.

Exactly the same line up, formation and application will do nicely on Saturday. Which means no place for Cheesy, Grainger, Harkins or Teale.

I'm sorry to have to say this. DVZ has always been pish but he's now playing like a f**king clown. "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right." George Best on David Beckham/mearnssaint on DVZ

Out of order IMO

The thing about the SPL is that playing everyone at least 3 times a season and with only 12 teams in the league. it fairly easy to sus a team out and it think up to a point that has been our problem. Teams have sussed that if they rile up goodwin in defence he'll do something stupid and that they can out muscle Gowser, or Mclean picking up balls short our of defence.

With Goodwin in midfield both of these things have changed.

This is Danny's plan B

Bitterly disappointed with the draw after a much improved performance however, if we perform with the same commitment, effort and desire as shown tonight our problems won't be far from being solved.Firstly it was a brave team selection from Danny and his post match interview on Radio Scotland offered a bit more insight into how he may be behind the media glare. The face slipped slightly towards then end of the interview with Chic and he highlighted the lack of the above qualities, despite his previous post match comments this season, when asked why that commitment hadn't been there previously this season. Before he was cut off his comments about Lee Mair were also admirable regardless of what has gone on before and perhaps his stubbornness not to make the decision until his hand was forced.Once again on here and in and around the ground there are voices of discontent with certain players, but I don't think there was a single poor performer tonight. Dilo had a great game.The back 4 defensively we're solid and barring one glaring mistake which ultimately cost us played very well.The compact starting midfield played brilliantly together. Whilst some will say Aberdeen didn't play well, I would argue we didn't let them and the major reason for this was our midfield 4. McGowan supported Thomo well and neither stopped working all night. The amount of balls Thomo won in the air was also commendable and he took his goal very well indeed.Bahoken, on the whole was much better. He held the ball up well and was unlucky at picking the back post for crosses when front post runs were made. Yes there were a few flaws, but Goodwin had a great game despite a few loose passes, DVZ defended brilliantly despite poor ball at the end, both Mair and McGregor put their bodies on the line defending against a Zola overhead kick and Danny despite the overly late sub to bring Teale on made brave decisions that could ultimately have saved his job.The positives tonight far outweigh any negatives. The young left back had a great game also. If offered the performance and result before the game we would have taken it no questions asked.Now it will be that effort every week or to paraphrase Danny, lock the players up in jail....

Very good summary, and I wouldn't add a great deal.

The criticism of DVZ is very harsh, as I thought he done pretty well.

Dilo looks the part. Very vocal and confident for such a young keeper.

Thommo was excellent, and thoroughly deserved his goal. I thought McGinn and McLean were solid, and, as others have said, Goodwin is much better in midfield. Young Kelly showed up really well and shouldn't be dropped for the very disappointing Grainger.

For me, Mair was the stand-out. He strolled through the game, aside from the ultimately costly mix up that led to the goal. No failures tonight, but the most pleasing aspect was the commitment, spirit, and drive on display. Night and day from what we've seen up to now this season.

I hope we can push on from this. One slight negative for me, however, was that, yet again, we didn't see Danny standing in his technical area marshalling things. It was all Tommy Craig tonight, and I don't really know what to make of that.

All in all, a vast improvement, and much more encouraging than feared.

Hmm, it seems I added more than intended....

Well done Saints and well done Danny in having the balls to pick such a team.

Some players done better than others but overall we didn't have a failure no one had a bad game.

Whether Danny can turn the season around still remains to be seen but credit where credit is due this was a much improved performance from the whole team.

Well done lads your effort was lapped up by most of the fans where I was, keep up the good work.

You must be sober

Hmmm. Got the lead, never great, but better. Then the equaliser. A decent point but we were at home, the run continues and the bare stats don't detail a spirited showing. The game needed a result one way or the other for us. Not sure where a draw leaves us or Danny. What if we lose on Saturday? Does tonight's point matter then? I'm not convinced. (As promised TT)

I'm sorry to have to say this. DVZ has always been pish but he's now playing like a f**king clown. "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right." George Best on David Beckham/mearnssaint on DVZ

Somehow i get the feeling your a bit pissed off we never got pumped tonight...

Massive improvement in attitude tonight certainly gives me hope. Dillo, what a save from the free kick. Glad to see the defenders in defence and the midfielders in midfield. Kelly at left back looked very confident and went looking for the ball. Needs to watch some off the loose passes though. Goodwin back where he should be but his passing was poor tonight. Glad to see McGinn playing well again and Gowser looked happier playing his normal role. Shame we didn't get the three but we wee up against a pish poor ref who had it ripped out of him by the sheep worriers all night.

Same performance from our players again on Saturday and we should have a chance.

We also won more second ball's or loose ball's tonight than we have done all season. Defensively Goodwin was great, passing a bit iffy at times but did his job very well.

Thankfully we have finally gone back to what served us well in 11/12, Mair and McGregor with Goodwin in front of them. Long may it continue.

Thought Sean Kelly and Dilo were fantastic tonight. As were Mair and McGregor for the most part, they look a far more accomplished pairing than Goody and Cheesy at the back.

Please, please, please Danny... DO NOT CHANGE THIS TEAM FOR THE GAME ON SATURDAY. If Grainger comes right back in and Kelly is benched i will.... be very disappointed.

Thought Sean Kelly and Dilo were fantastic tonight. As were Mair and McGregor for the most part, they look a far more accomplished pairing than Goody and Cheesy at the back.

Please, please, please Danny... DO NOT CHANGE THIS TEAM FOR THE GAME ON SATURDAY. If Grainger comes right back in and Kelly is benched i will.... be very disappointed.

Teale should start Saturday...we need to be able to attack this Hearts defence.

Apart from that...change nothing.

Teale should start Saturday...we need to be able to attack this Hearts defence.

Apart from that...change nothing.

Teale for Newton is the only change that should be considered, but i don't think he'll do that, he will not make an attacking change for an away game.

As far as I'm comcerned he can pick who he likes as long as we win.