John Mcginn

mikesmfc

Big difference between abuse and pointing out what he so blatantly obviously does wrong. We're not a big club, we can't carry three luxury players and if McGowan is playing we certainly can't carry a second one. He can't play central as he's too weak, can't play wide as he doesn't have a trick and rarely beats a man. He relies, absolutely relies, upon his long shots. He no longer needs to just be more consistent than Garry Brady.

I've no doubt he'd add something at other clubs, but where...he almost needs to mould himself in to a deep lying forward or an almost Le Tissier figure.

A Billy Stark or Andy Dorman type of player more like

I don't think McLean has done anything to deserve the abuse he takes. Simon lappin got the same level of abuse and I don't know why?.

Mcginn is a good young player but also think apart from newcatsle game has not showed the form he did pre cup.

I think with young players you get the effort energy and enthusiasm you want to see in all footballers but at the cost of consistency.

McLean and mcginn both need our support both need to play games and in mcginns case if he has a couple of bad games does that mean he will also be in for McLean and lappin type abuse? Cause that helps no one player or club.

I don't think McLean has done anything to deserve the abuse he takes. Simon lappin got the same level of abuse and I don't know why?.

Mcginn is a good young player but also think apart from newcatsle game has not showed the form he did pre cup.

I think with young players you get the effort energy and enthusiasm you want to see in all footballers but at the cost of consistency.

McLean and mcginn both need our support both need to play games and in mcginns case if he has a couple of bad games does that mean he will also be in for McLean and lappin type abuse? Cause that helps no one player or club.

That's pretty much it. It's fair enough to come on here and say McLean didn't play well against x club, nothing really came off for him. But it's almost constant from the stands, no matter how he's playing.

'McLean your a shitebag' 'who was that pass too?' etc etc

All because he hasn't ran 30 yards and jumped in two footed, or tried to open a defence and it hasn't came off. I had to laugh against Partick, that a group of 5 guys were completely guilty of this, only for him to score and them to sit on their hands, angry that he showed them wrong.

McGinn will no doubt go the same way, his older brother started getting the same treatment, Lappin got the same treatment. We're fortuanate to have these players, and when their doing all this stuff well, they won't be playing for us for much longer.

Amazed Kenny is taking so much abuse when he is probably our only midfielder that offers a goalscoring threat,

we have scored 2 goals all season (league), for all the arguing about harkins and mcgowans playing positions, neither offers goals, McGowan scored a fair few penalties last year but i dont remember scoring many from open play.

Kenny scored 5 or 6 goals last year, usually of high quality, amazing considering he hardly kicked a ball in second half of the season.

think Gowser got one. Wonder how many assists he got?

That's pretty much it. It's fair enough to come on here and say McLean didn't play well against x club, nothing really came off for him. But it's almost constant from the stands, no matter how he's playing.

'McLean your a shitebag' 'who was that pass too?' etc etc

All because he hasn't ran 30 yards and jumped in two footed, or tried to open a defence and it hasn't came off. I had to laugh against Partick, that a group of 5 guys were completely guilty of this, only for him to score and them to sit on their hands, angry that he showed them wrong.

McGinn will no doubt go the same way, his older brother started getting the same treatment, Lappin got the same treatment. We're fortuanate to have these players, and when their doing all this stuff well, they won't be playing for us for much longer.

So nobody is to question passes from the golden child, yet Thompson is getting abuse for not magically beaming the ball towards himself. There have been a number of occasions when Kenny has just knocked the ball out of play for no reason...are we to just accept this? Also, he is a shitebag though it's nothing to do with not running 30 yards etc...fair enough Mr Angry wants every tackle to be a career ending lunge that leads to a red card. Kenny coukd be deemed a shitebag as he rarely puts a tackle in and any 50/50 or even 70/30 becomes a 20/80. Unless he's "trying something" or looking for the ball in a very not really looking sort of way he isn't interested.

Now...all Kenny needs to do, one he's received all the reports back, is grow a set and play well for more than 5 minutes out of every 90. No real pressure, it's what he's paid to do.

It's the SMFC Billy Stark syndrome.

We've had a number of technically great players who the fans have turned on because they don't run around like headless chickens.

Ally Mcleod, Bily Stark and Kenny McLean for example - all gifted footballers who added to the team and could even be matchwinners -but stil got pelters from the stands.

All I ask from any player is they give the best they can.

For some that will be lots of tackling and sweat; from others it will be skill and vision. But no team will succeed at higher levels solely with 11 men chasing every ball and running around all over the place as some St Mirren fans seem to demand. It take skill and endeavour to succeed and at our level very few players have everything.

The secret is to find the right blend - and that's where the manager comes in.

you can add Andy Dorman in there too.

you can add Andy Dorman in there too.

There are many more - Simon Lappin for example

Those of us who are a bit greyer will remember Andy Ritchie from Morton

Had a magic left foot and could put the ball on a sixpence from 30 yards but never played at higher than walking pace. He'd have been crucified at Love Street - and not only because he'd played for them!!

The thing is, its a total misconception that Andy Dorman and Billy Stark did no running about.

These guys were making runs all the time to get into goalscoring position. Its just that you never noticed this running unless the ball actually landed with them to get an attempt at goal.

If a game went by where Andy Dorman didn't have an attempt at goal then many folk went away wondering what he did. But the fact is that he probably worked his backside off!

In any case, if you look back on match reports of Dorman's time at St. Mirren you'll find that when he wasn't scoring that his name often crops up in the description of other goals scored. His part in goals rarely involved beating upteem players or playing an amazing pass or some other bit of skill however. It generally just involved him making a run and someone else getting the benefit of the break of the ball as a result.

Get the ball forward, get players forward, make runs, take a chance.

As opposed to fannying about with possession in your own half until you give it straight to the opposition...

The thing is, its a total misconception that Andy Dorman and Billy Stark did no running about.

These guys were making runs all the time to get into goalscoring position. Its just that you never noticed this running unless the ball actually landed with them to get an attempt at goal.

If a game went by where Andy Dorman didn't have an attempt at goal then many folk went away wondering what he did. But the fact is that he probably worked his backside off!

In any case, if you look back on match reports of Dorman's time at St. Mirren you'll find that when he wasn't scoring that his name often crops up in the description of other goals scored. His part in goals rarely involved beating upteem players or playing an amazing pass or some other bit of skill however. It generally just involved him making a run and someone else getting the benefit of the break of the ball as a result.

Get the ball forward, get players forward, make runs, take a chance.

As opposed to fannying about with possession in your own half until you give it straight to the opposition...

Bingo. There's the issue. That is plan A it seems. Plan B is the fannying about bit, followed by an aimless ball into the corner, plan C is the fannying about bit, followed by booting it out for a goal kick.

When I think back to game last night think I owe mcginn an apology on my assessment that he was very poor.

Thing about the game last night that really frustrated me was I felt he could of got forward more. But then I think to who was playing behind him tonight a young boy first full game in senior squad. I thought they actually played well together helped each other out.

Kelly I thought had a very good game and in his first full game has done more than Grainger has all season!. I hope mcginn can trust Kelly a bit more and get forward more often than they did tonight.

Thought goodwin,van zanten,mair,Newton,McGowan,dilo,magregor, played well!.

Edited by leolovesstmfc