Danny Grainger's Second Yellow Card V Hibs

andyswann2007

Sometimes when a player kicks the ball against a player trying to waste time, or prevent a quick free kick being taken, the person blocking the kick doesn't get booked - sometimes they do.

I've NEVER seen the player taking the kick, and trying to make the point to the ref that the opponent is blocking them, being booked.

For almost the whole game the Hibs fans were on the ref's back any time he went near the ball.

Nobody I spoke to at the game even knew what he got his first booking for - presumably something the ref played advantage for as he pulled him up and carded him after a Hibs attack.

Don't think you can appeal a second yellow though?

And even if we did, they'd side with the ref, siting something like ungentlmanly conduct.

Kevin Gallacher said on BT Sports this afternoon that it was the Hibs player that should've been booked as he hadn't retreated the required yardage. He also said that Grainger walked without even complaining about his cautiion, and that the whole scenario was wierd

I can understand Grainger wanting to get off the pitch as quick as possible. Porbably trying to get as much distance as possible between himself and the Hibs fans.

Of course the good news is that because of Graingers sending off yesterday he will be unavailable for selection next Monday. Fantastic, he's been rotten since he came. His attitude is all wrong and he really doesn't seem like he wants to be here. Get Kelly or Yaqub back in at left back.

Of course the good news is that because of Graingers sending off yesterday he will be unavailable for selection next Monday. Fantastic, he's been rotten since he came. His attitude is all wrong and he really doesn't seem like he wants to be here. Get Kelly or Yaqub back in at left back.

got to agree with this lex, pity goodwin wasnt sent off as well

Hmmm, his sending off was very weak, agreed, however, he stupidly , or perhaps by design whistling.gif played right into the referees hands......he knowingly lashed the kick at the Hibs player in a fit of tantrum................red mist was still swirling around his head. He made it very easy for the ref. All in all his sending off sums up what is wrong with quite a few of our players.............they are clearly mentally miles off the game just now. Too many take up the martyr injustice stance, quite frankly, they chuck it and fail to chase the cause in games.

Hmmm, his sending off was very weak, agreed, however, he stupidly , or perhaps by design :whistle played right into the referees hands......he knowingly lashed the kick at the Hibs player in a fit of tantrum................red mist was still swirling around his head. He made it very easy for the ref. All in all his sending off sums up what is wrong with quite a few of our players.............they are clearly mentally miles off the game just now. Too many take up the martyr injustice stance, quite frankly, they chuck it and fail to chase the cause in games.

Just saw it on the highlights there, and it's an even worse decision than I though watching it live.

Grainger isn't looking at the Hibs player, and the Hibs player even moves his left leg out to block the ball.

And OUR player gets a second yellow.

And not to mention nobody seems to have any idea what his first yellow was for?

Bizarre that none of the TV panel even mentioned it?

A decision the likes of which nobody has ever seen you would have thought would have merited a sentence or two?

Just saw it on the highlights there, and it's an even worse decision than I though watching it live.

Grainger isn't looking at the Hibs player, and the Hibs player even moves his left leg out to block the ball.

A decision the likes of which nobody has ever seen you would have thought would have merited a sentence or two?

The main reason i'd guess would be context. It was the 89th minute of the match, we had just been out played completely, we were 2-0 down and the game was totally dead. It had absolutely no baring on the outcome whatsoever.

The main reason i'd guess would be context. It was the 89th minute of the match, we had just been out played completely, we were 2-0 down and the game was totally dead. It had absolutely no baring on the outcome whatsoever.

I assume you're putting that rationale forward for the panel rather than the ref?

I'd still have thought that for weirdness/comedy value that they'd have said something about it?

I assume you're putting that rationale forward for the panel rather than the ref?

I'd still have thought that for weirdness/comedy value that they'd have said something about it?

Yes, i'd imagine that's why the TV panel never discussed it. If it had been the second minute of the game and the scores were 0-0, i'm sure it would have been. If Sportscene wasn't the most dull and depressing programme on the BBC they might have included it for a laugh.

The ref made a mistake, there's no doubt about that. The way that Hibs stand and the Hibs players reacted certainly seemed to have a baring on his decision. C'est la vie, it matters not.

Like i said earlier in the thread the fact that Grainger won't be playing in the next match is a good thing for us in my opinion. Hopefully Harkins gets a harsh red card in the 89th minute of our next game too.

A good performance from Mo Yaqub or Sean Kelly next Monday will hopefully see Grainger out of the team for a spell.

Either of these boys getting the nod will give them a chance to prove that they have the hunger to succeed here.

If we're going to get humped every week, it may as well be with a few young lads whose attitude and desire would put some of the seniors to shame.

Can the young lads be any worse than the seasoned pros? I imagine that the lack of finished product they'd have in their game would be made up for in terms of endeavour and effort.

Both yellow cards at the incident cannot be right.

If he is booking the Hibs players for blocking a quickly taken free kick why does he book Grainger?

If he is booking Grainger for deliberately kicking the ball against the Hibs player, why book the Hibs player?

Will we ever get an explanation?

No.

Hmmm, his sending off was very weak, agreed, however, he stupidly , or perhaps by design :whistle played right into the referees hands......he knowingly lashed the kick at the Hibs player in a fit of tantrum................red mist was still swirling around his head. He made it very easy for the ref. All in all his sending off sums up what is wrong with quite a few of our players.............they are clearly mentally miles off the game just now. Too many take up the martyr injustice stance, quite frankly, they chuck it and fail to chase the cause in games.

Red mist or not, surely he is allowed to hit a free kick as hard as he wishes?

If the Hibs player had been back 10 yards and a hard free kick had knocked him out would Graiger have been booked?

Has this referee indicated by his actions that a player should not try and take a quick free kick if the opposing player is within 10 yards?

Has the referee booked Grainger because he deliberately hit it against the Hibs player? How often do players deliberately hit the ball off opponents to try and get a throw in or a bye kick?

I believe the referee will say he booked them both for unsporting behaviour. If that is the case I would encourage our players to antagonise any opposition player who is already on a yellow card by standing too close at a free kick. By this referees interpretation of the law it should always result in 2 yellow cards.

If referees are going to interpret the rules in this manner we should use it to our advantage on occasion.

I believe the referee will say he booked them both for unsporting behaviour. If that is the case I would encourage our players to antagonise any opposition player who is already on a yellow card by standing too close at a free kick. By this referees interpretation of the law it should always result in 2 yellow cards.

If referees are going to interpret the rules in this manner we should use it to our advantage on occasion.

That would work if there was any consistency amongst refs. This seems to have been a peculiar 'Steven McLean' interpretation of the law on the day. I await the day he gives a similar decision against Sellic or Sevco or Parkhead or Ibrox but won't be holding my breath.

BT Sports said he was booked for mouthing off at the referee

Red mist or not, surely he is allowed to hit a free kick as hard as he wishes?

If the Hibs player had been back 10 yards and a hard free kick had knocked him out would Graiger have been booked?

Has this referee indicated by his actions that a player should not try and take a quick free kick if the opposing player is within 10 yards?

Has the referee booked Grainger because he deliberately hit it against the Hibs player? How often do players deliberately hit the ball off opponents to try and get a throw in or a bye kick?

Is very interesting as I've seen hundreds of incidents where players have played the ball with what could be determined excess force off and opponent getting a throw or defenders off a striker getting a goal kick. Never seen a referee make this judgement. Indeed I've seen rugby players absolutely laid out flat needing attention but they've then been penalised 10 yards because they know dam well that the rules of the game require them to retreat 10 yards. It's easier in football too because the guy has to set up the ball and wait for it to be stationary where rugby it can be bloody hard to get out the way that quickly....the Hibs lad as mentioned stuck out his leg to block it, without that it could have whistled by him 50 yards up the park.

Are refs really going to order off players for ..oo maybe a wee bit hard there son and I think it was probably going to hit him even if he didn't stick his leg out to stop it?

Edited by Katie Bear