Danny Grainger's Second Yellow Card V Hibs

andyswann2007

Can only assume it's for the open to judgement ungentlemanly conduct.

There is nothing in the laws of the game that say referees have to indicate for the free-kick to be taken.

As long as the ball is stationary and in the right place then the attacking team can take it as quickly as they like.

The only exception I believe is if the attacker asks for an opponent to be moved back then he has to wait until the referee signals he can take it.

Just looking again I actually have more sympathy than I did Saturday night...looking at the replay straight on he never once looks at the Hibs player, When first in shot he's looking cross field and he then gets his head down over the ball and doesn't look up again until he's hit it...I don't think he fully expected the Hibs player to move in to 3 feet away and then stick out his left leg.

Watched this incident this morning and seems an extremely harsh sending off. Can't imagine the likes of Scott Brown at Celtic getting his marching orders for the same incident. Looks like the booking came minutes before the red card so wss fresh in referees mind and made it easy for him hand a second yellow.

By showing Maybury a yellow card he acknowledges that he didn't retreat his distance and made an attempt to block the free kick. Which then leaves the question, why was Grainger actually booked?

I think the referee booked the Hibs player as a reaction to having realised he had wrongly booked Grainger.

A kind of "look what you made me do, so I'm going to book you as well".

There was two red mists.

One was the Hibs crowd next to Grainger, and the other was the referee who thought something was going to kick off so he thought he needed to show some authority by getting his yellow card out.

I think the referee booked the Hibs player as a reaction to having realised he had wrongly booked Grainger.

A kind of "look what you made me do, so I'm going to book you as well".

There was two red mists.

One was the Hibs crowd next to Grainger, and the other was the referee who thought something was going to kick off so he thought he needed to show some authority by getting his yellow card out.

Factually , we regularly see opposition players not moving away from where a free kick is given . I imagine that it is an attempt at time wasting and it is also antagonism . It also dissent , as far as the ref's decision is concerned and should be treated as such. Granny Danger getting a card is just daftie stuff on the refs part. .

was pretty obvious Grainger just wanted to smash the free kick of the Hibs player, petulant on his part, he brought it on himself

basically the Hibs fans goaded him into doing something like that and he fell hook line

Not petulant at all, it's what your supposed to do in that situation. Take free kick, hit off opponent failing to retreat 10 yards, opponent gets booked.