Seat Toledo 1.6 Diesel

shull

looking for a new car myself, currenlty drive a 1971 VW Campervan but using it as a football bus is destroying it so Nic has asked me to buy a car.

Looking at the S Max but thinking of a budget around !5K.

Have you any thoughts on the S-Max 2.0TDCI Zetec or recommednadtion for something similar. Thanks

I've heard a lot of negative things about the new VAG group diesel. Old clump iron diesels would be good for 200,000k easy the new single rail turbo'd to death small capacity are only good for about half that. Not having to replace the old motor just yet but I will think twice before buying a new diesel.

Not just VW Diesels. Modern diesel engines are getting a bit fragile compared to older lumps as the technology on them gets more and more sophisticated.

The Berlingo is fine.Ive only had mine since Nov so wouldn't expect any problems yet.Other guys I've spoke to with older cars have been trouble free too.Mine is booked in for it's 36k service a week on Mon¡!

The Peugeot Partner is the exact same car with a different badge.

That's not bad. Seen a lot of them running about recently.

I've heard a lot of negative things about the new VAG group diesel. Old clump iron diesels would be good for 200,000k easy the new single rail turbo'd to death small capacity are only good for about half that. Not having to replace the old motor just yet but I will think twice before buying a new diesel.

I had an A3 sportback with the newer 1.9td (59 plate) up until last year. i could eke it out to >70 miles per gallon , but it was never out of the workshop. the engine was fine, they had replaced the solid flywheel with a dual mass version which i understand was a thinner steel plate with other materials bonded to it. the bonded material would start to warp at a different rate to the rest of the flywheel causing an imbalance. the car had 2 new flywheels, 2 new clutches and 2 changes of cylinder head sensors before it was sent back at 80000 miles. Loved driving it and the economy, but would never get another. Apparently that 1.9 has been replaced with the same 1.6td that is in the Seat