Humans Causing Climate Emergency

shull

Come on, snlt, even unbelievers have to give some credence to the UN/IPCC report. I'm still of the opinion that it's a natural phenomenon, but one that our actions are amplifying. The more we can do to lessen the amplification, the better. And even if doing so does nothing wrt global warming, at least we're preserving the planet's finite resources for our descendents.

Come on, snlt, even unbelievers have to give some credence to the UN/IPCC report. I'm still of the opinion that it's a natural phenomenon, but one that our actions are amplifying. The more we can do to lessen the amplification, the better. And even if doing so does nothing wrt global warming, at least we're preserving the planet's finite resources for our descendents.

TBH humans are doomed to extinction and that'll not be because of global warming.

It'll be down to the utter stupidity and wilful pig ignorance (feckless I think the word is) of people everywhere.

Consider the following depressing state of affairs:-

1) We've used up most of the useful and very rare chemical element resources in the world over a period of just 50 years making things like chips for Christmas cards to amuse the taxi drivers of the world once a year and then simply buried them afterwards rather than recycling them. So we've very little left for truly useful applications that haven't even been considered yet.

2) We have access to more limitless resources of energy than we can possibly ever use but people won't go for it because it spoils their Sunday morning walk to have to look at a handful of wind turbines 20 miles away. So we consider further wasting of rare fossil fules and even rarer nuclear resources.

3) Every chemical company in the world chucks their waste into the oceans which means our water resources are essentially being shat into.

4) We're using unbelievably scarce fresh water supplies to flush our bogs using countless gallons per dump. We're also using fresh water to shower in.

5) You can add our attitude towards atmospheric pollution such as CFC's and CO2 into the mix but what we're doing to our skies is nothing compared to what we're doing to our land and ocean resources.

IMO there are two major problems for humans as a species.

Firstly, we have limited resources and a finely balanced environment on Earth.

That needs to be maintained.

Secondly, the sun will expire eventually and so we need to somehow figure out how to get to another solar system or galaxy at some point.

In terms of the long term survival of the species, these two things are the only show in town.

You'd need to ask yourself how high we prioritise those things financially to realise why humans are inevitably doomed as a species.

The only questions are when, how and what pain will the transition cause on those unlucky bastards fated to be around when it happens.

BTW don't think I'm necessarily gloomy about most of this.

It's more a weary acceptance and a determination on my part not to personally make it worse.

In the meantime I've decided the most enjoyable way to spend life is to do it reseaching how nature has us functioning at a molecular and atomic level and what barriers nature has put up to stop us ever finding the ultimate reason for why we are here and what we are truly made of. It's endlessly fascinating. Best of all, none of it requires me to pray, give money to a church or assume others who don't agree with me will burn in hell.

Edited by oaksoft

TBH humans are doomed to extinction and that'll not be because of global warming.

It'll be down to the utter stupidity and wilful pig ignorance (feckless I think the word is) of people everywhere.

Consider the following depressing state of affairs:-

1) We've used up most of the useful and very rare chemical element resources in the world over a period of just 50 years making things like chips for Christmas cards to amuse the taxi drivers of the world once a year and then simply buried them afterwards rather than recycling them. So we've very little left for truly useful applications that haven't even been considered yet.

2) We have access to more limitless resources of energy than we can possibly ever use but people won't go for it because it spoils their Sunday morning walk to have to look at a handful of wind turbines 20 miles away. So we consider further wasting of rare fossil fules and even rarer nuclear resources.

3) Every chemical company in the world chucks their waste into the oceans which means our water resources are essentially being shat into.

4) We're using unbelievably scarce fresh water supplies to flush our bogs using countless gallons per dump. We're also using fresh water to shower in.

5) You can add our attitude towards atmospheric pollution such as CFC's and CO2 into the mix but what we're doing to our skies is nothing compared to what we're doing to our land and ocean resources.

IMO there are two major problems for humans as a species.

Firstly, we have limited resources and a finely balanced environment on Earth.

That needs to be maintained.

Secondly, the sun will expire eventually and so we need to somehow figure out how to get to another solar system or galaxy at some point.

In terms of the long term survival of the species, these two things are the only show in town.

You'd need to ask yourself how high we prioritise those things financially to realise why humans are inevitably doomed as a species.

The only questions are when, how and what pain will the transition cause on those unlucky bastards fated to be around when it happens.

BTW don't think I'm necessarily gloomy about most of this.

It's more a weary acceptance and a determination on my part not to personally make it worse.

In the meantime I've decided the most enjoyable way to spend life is to do it reseaching how nature has us functioning at a molecular and atomic level and what barriers nature has put up to stop us ever finding the ultimate reason for why we are here and what we are truly made of. It's endlessly fascinating. Best of all, none of it requires me to pray, give money to a church or assume others who don't agree with me will burn in hell.

It's the Golgafrincham B Ark for you then!

:P