Humans Causing Climate Emergency

shull

Rain is (very) dilute nitric acid, not fresh water. Safe enough to drink, usually.

Oaky- blaming bluto's generation for wars from 1900 - he's not quite that old.

well at least some else on here has a bit of intelligence. i was beginning to think nobody had ever heard of acid rain.

There can be all sorts of other shit in rain including sulfur compounds which are washed out of the air during rainfall.http://www.geography-site.co.uk/pages/environ/acid.html

i thought everybody was taught this in school.

Mind you maybe bluto was working up chimneys as a kid.

I am well aware of the problem of acid rain. It's of no relevance in this discussion.

Shull spoke of fresh rainfall. THIS is what you dismissed as being undrinkable.

The rain that falls on Scotland is as pure as you can get it, directly borne from the Atantic on westerly winds, unpolluted by any industrial effluence. I've been drinking it directly from the burns and lochs for decades... Though not since 1900. (Still resorting to ageist jibes when all else fails, I see.)

Oakstur, I picked you up on this cos the media are forever distorting scientific fact to suit their over dramatic tabloid agenda. You're allegedly a scientist so I believed you'd be open to reason and correction when you've made an error of fact. I thought you could handle reason without being all hissy fits.

(I thanked davidg for pointing out one I made yesterday. It wasn't painful or humbling. It was correct and fair.)

Nice answer. I would like to talk more but I have to go outside and yell at the pollution in the sky and tell it to stop being so fecking soluble in rain because bluto and shull expect the water for their tea to be purer than unicorn piss.

I think reasoning with it is a decent first step. I will let you know how I get on.

It is pure enough from the sky(in most Scottish circumstances) to be immediately usable. Try to imagine that Scotland is not as polluted as the Ruhr or Sweden, receiving all the industrial pollution from uk and Western Europe. Scotland IS purer than you give credit for.

there is no such as a good water filter. the problem with water is that it is sticky.

just heard a week ago from an expert who told me that the bulk of solid waste at sewage works ends up.........................as fertiliser for farms growing vegetables. i nearly puked. i thought they dumped human shit at sea.

it seems we are wallowing in our own mess.

nothing is pure and nothing is clean.

there is a saying that every mouthful of apparently fresh water has been through somebodys colon at one time or another.

bon appetit.

ETA its dinosaur piss. every cup of water has passed through the colon of a dinosaur at one time or another.

entertainming and informative.

This post shows how minimal your knowledge is on the subject. And I'm amazed you'd admit to showing how worthless your input is, here. And even more surprised at your hysteria... Though that explains why you'd plump for a tabloid instead of a factual representation of the facts.

Night soil has been used for centuries to help grow food. The potato fields of Lincoln produced potatoes that went to the cities to be sold. The empty wagons were filled with excrement to return to Lincoln to bulk up the soils. Urine is the best activator one can use on a compost heap.

Most of the acidity in Scots drinking water sources comes from the soil in which the lochs, rivers and reservoirs reside. It's peaty - decaying plant life. That's what makes it soft AND partly acidic.

NOT, dinosaurs, not sewage nor industrial acid rain.

Edited by bluto

there is no such as a good water filter. the problem with water is that it is sticky.

just heard a week ago from an expert who told me that the bulk of solid waste at sewage works ends up.........................as fertiliser for farms growing vegetables. i nearly puked. i thought they dumped human shit at sea.

it seems we are wallowing in our own mess.

nothing is pure and nothing is clean.

there is a saying that every mouthful of apparently fresh water has been through somebodys colon at one time or another.

bon appetit.

ETA its dinosaur piss. every cup of water has passed through the colon of a dinosaur at one time or another.

entertainming and informative.

So, yeah, the cycle of life, eat shit and die

I am well aware of the problem of acid rain. It's of no relevance in this discussion.

Shull spoke of fresh rainfall. THIS is what you dismissed as being undrinkable.

The rain that falls on Scotland is as pure as you can get it, directly borne from the Atantic on westerly winds, unpolluted by any industrial effluence. I've been drinking it directly from the burns and lochs for decades... Though not since 1900. (Still resorting to ageist jibes when all else fails, I see.)

Oakstur, I picked you up on this cos the media are forever distorting scientific fact to suit their over dramatic tabloid agenda. You're allegedly a scientist so I believed you'd be open to reason and correction when you've made an error of fact. I thought you could handle reason without being all hissy fits.

(I thanked davidg for pointing out one I made yesterday. It wasn't painful or humbling. It was correct and fair.)It is pure enough from the sky(in most Scottish circumstances) to be immediately usable. Try to imagine that Scotland is not as polluted as the Ruhr or Sweden, receiving all the industrial pollution from uk and Western Europe. Scotland IS purer than you give credit for. This post shows how minimal your knowledge is on the subject. And I'm amazed you'd admit to showing how worthless your input is, here. And even more surprised at your hysteria... Though that explains why you'd plump for a tabloid instead of a factual representation of the facts.

Night soil has been used for centuries to help grow food. The potato fields of Lincoln produced potatoes that went to the cities to be sold. The empty wagons were filled with excrement to return to Lincoln to bulk up the soils. Urine is the best activator one can use on a compost heap.

Most of the acidity in Scots drinking water sources comes from the soil in which the lochs, rivers and reservoirs reside. It's peaty - decaying plant life. That's what makes it soft AND partly acidic.

NOT, dinosaurs, not sewage nor industrial acid rain.

Show a single quote where I described rain or any other drinking water as undrinkable.

I agree with all of that except the bit in bold.

The rainwater falls as very dilute nitric acid, due to the "over-abundance" of nitrogen in the atmosphere. Of course, that very same over-abundance of nitrogen is what stops everything burning out of control, so it's not all bad. EDIT: It will, of course, get more acidic if it runs over or through peaty landscapes.

The water is soft due to the low concentration of calcium and magnesium in the water, which is the result of the low amount of these minerals in Scottish bedrock. There are a couple of hard-water areas in Scotland, in the same way that there are soft-water areas in England, though not down your neck of the woods. Scottish bedrock tend to be more water impervious than down south - the rain permeating the soft calcium rocks allows it to pick up a lot more trace elements. In reality, there is no such thing as soft water, just water and hard-water, folk just like to give things labels. Like full-fat milk, it's not, it's just milk. It's the other, less tasty, stuff that needs a label.

You agree with him that I described rain water as undrinkable?

Finite water?

That's a good yin.

There was plenty at the weekend to wipe out most of Scottish Football and Carlisle tae.

Lol

And here's breaking news....

It's still raining fresh water.

fresh water?

FRESH water?

how would you know?

it will be full of impurites and is probably slightly acidic from industrial soot and other pollutants.

You wrote it twice but omitted the all-important part "rain".

No impurities, no industrial soot, no pollutants comes in from rain water collected and distilled across the Atlantic.

I think we should all know that it does rain fresh water.

There really is no excuse for this sort of pig ignorance bluto.

Away and educate yourself FFS.

I think this exchange demonstrates that you are now trying to dig yourself out of a mucky puddle. You then went on to stridently list and assert ALL the alleged impurities in rainwater/freshwater. All meaningless and redundant, in context. What shull posted about is drinkable.

You derided shull pointing out there was lots of fresh water falling from the sky, calling it sooty, industrially polluted, passed through lots of people and not as pure as Unicorn's pish and not good enough from which to make tea.

If THAT is not saying YOU CAN'T DRINK RAINWATER, then I do apologise.

I must have missed the bit where you acknowledged shull was right about there being plenty of fresh rain water - which, as has been demonstrated above, is perfectly good to drink.

Cheers.

Edited by bluto

I think this exchange demonstrates that you are now trying to dig yourself out of a mucky puddle. You then went on to stridently list and assert ALL the alleged impurities in rainwater/freshwater. All meaningless and redundant, in context. What shull posted about is drinkable.

You derided shull pointing out there was lots of fresh water falling from the sky, calling it sooty, industrially polluted, passed through lots of people and not as pure as Unicorn's pish and not good enough from which to make tea.

If THAT is not saying YOU CAN'T DRINK RAINWATER, then I do apologise.

I must have missed the bit where you acknowledged shull was right about there being plenty of fresh rain water - which, as has been demonstrated above, is perfectly good to drink.

Cheers.

You have misunderstood. Deliberately I think TBH.

Our water is FULL of impurities but I'm not saying it is undrinkable.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

The main point, and this is the problem with you (you get so hung up on pedantry that you miss the bigger picture), is that our fresh water supply is finite and we are not treating it well.

As a Londoner you should be more aware of that than most.

You characterised it as such.

See my post, above. smile.png

No I didn't. It's very simple. Show me a single line in any of my posts where I use the word "undrinkable" to describe our water supplies.

Stop trying to be smart and second guess the intention behind my words and simply show me where I ACTUALLY described the water as specifically "undrinkable".

You have misunderstood. Deliberately I think TBH.

Our water is FULL of impurities but I'm not saying it is undrinkable.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

The main point, and this is the problem with you (you get so hung up on pedantry that you miss the bigger picture), is that our fresh water supply is finite and we are not treating it well.

As a Londoner you should be more aware of that than most.

I already apologised for not understanding your scientology.

For most of the planet, 'fresh water' is synonymous with 'drinking water'. You scoffed at rain water being that. Scotland's fresh water supply is NOT as finite as the many examples you cited. Water in the UK is better treated (in all senses) than ever it was.

shull and you were discussing the water falling locally and not in Sweden or the Sudan, but I'm not a scientologist. What do I know? smile.png

Edited by bluto

I already apologised for not understanding your scientology.

For most of the planet, 'fresh water' is synonymous with 'drinking water'. You scoffed at rain water being that. Scotland's fresh water supply is NOT as finite as the many examples you cited. Water in the UK is better treated (in all sense) than ever it was.

shull and you were discussing the water falling locally and not in Sweden or the Sudan, but I'm not a scientologist. What do I know? smile.png

I scoffed at rain water being drinking water? I didn't do that either. FFS you are as bad as Dickson for this pish lol.gif.

Water in the UK certainly is better treated than ever before. You might want to find out what it is "treated" with first before "getting your bombast on".

Scientologist FFS lol.gif

Oh dear, oakstur.

I'm certainly not understanding you at all. :unsure:

Rain water, fresh water, drinking water - to me the first two can stand for the third in Scotland.

As you correctly pointed out, what you laughed at shull for (in suggesting that we had almost unlimited supplies of it) was fresh water.

What is fresh water to you, then? Please. :)

I scoffed at rain water being drinking water? I didn't do that either. FFS you are as bad as Dickson for this pish lol.gif.

Water in the UK certainly is better treated than ever before. You might want to find out what it is "treated" with first before "getting your bombast on".

Scientologist FFS lol.gif

Aye you're too much of a daftie to be one of them. .lol.gif