Humans Causing Climate Emergency

shull

There should actually be more water being recycled, in the same time frame, now than there has been in the past. The glaciers and ice sheets are melting (fresh water - useful) and flowing into the seas, there becoming salt water (useless) and raising sea levels (greater surface area) temperatures are rising, therefore there should be more water evaporating from the seas, combined with a greater surface area to be evaporated from, and then falling as rain (fresh water - useful).

We should, therefore, have more rain/fresh/drinking water.

Or maybe I've just did a 1+1=11.

No. You're as right as can be...

In fact, kinda worryingly from Scottish pov, Scotland may be about to have millions more rain/fresh/drinking water precipitating than it currently has.

When Arctic glaciers/ice sheets melt sufficiently it can provoke what is called IIRC - Heinrich episodes or events.

In which, broadly, the north atlantic is suffused with too much fresh water, that impedes the natural flow around the planet of the current that we know (a small portion of) as North Atlantic Drift/Gulf Stream, and Scotland is plunged into a cold wet period and perhaps a worsening of the current ice age that we are in, presently.

And we all know what a disaster that could be.

Tourists would stop piling onto my bus. :(

Edited by bluto

No. You're as right as can be...

In fact, kinda worryingly from Scottish pov, Scotland may be about to have millions more rain/fresh/drinking water precipitating than it currently has.

When Arctic glaciers/ice sheets melt sufficiently it can provoke what is called IIRC - Heinrich episodes or events.

In which, broadly, the north atlantic is suffused with too much fresh water, that impedes the natural flow around the planet of the current that we know as North Atlantic Drift/Gulf Stream, and Scotland is plunged into a cold wet period and perhaps a worsening of the current ice age that we are in, presently.

And we all know what a disaster that could be.

Tourists would stop piling onto my bus. sad.png

In 1963 we saw what happens when the Atlantic conveyor/jetstream/gulfstream bypasses these islands. We get something more akin to the kind of temperatures you would normally see at these latitudes- a deep freeze. . however , I don't think they know when that is going to happen . The climate is certainly changing but on the whole I don't think that their predictions are all that good when it comes to long term weather . .

I think for a Heinrich Event to happen we need to see armadas of icebergs or icebergs on a biblical scale. .

About 20yrs ago , I saw a programme that showed an iceberg that had broken away from Antarctica , that was the size of Cyprus. It was being tracked by a Nimrod and it took the Nimrod 1 hour to fly around the iceberg. .

They seemed to think it was the start of something monumental but admitted that perhaps this kind of thing had been happening for years , yet undetected. .

There are icebergs in the bible?

I know that in the bible they were working under the EU Agricultural Policy due to the fact that they had a mountain of olives, but I never knew that they had icebergs.

Was Auschwitz a Heinrich Event?

(OK, a wee bit close to the bad taste line there, but I think I just stayed on the right side of it.)

Indeed. The bible also had plagues of one kind or another but unlike BAWA, there was never a plague of trolls as far as I know. .

So there was a plague of icebergs?

Would icebergs not have melted by the time the reached Egypt?

Ah, got it now, this global warming malarkey isn't man made, it's god sending his icebergs to plague Egypt. He didn't really think this one through very well, did he. c**t!

Oh, uh!! You'll go to hell for saying that. It says that in the bible somewhere.I think.

A lot of folk getting hot under the collar. For every pseudo scientist who says global warming is real, there is another one who says bollocks it is. Scientists tend to be patronising bastards, just like our (alleged) in-house critter. Does anybody remember the John Cleese skit about patronising merchant bankers? At least that rhymed. Whether global warming exists and if it does and becomes problematic, man will sort it out. Engineers will probably help a bloody sight more than scientists, whatever they are. Remember, Einstein made mistakes and some of his 'discoveries' are under serious scrutiny even though he was a genius.

1963 was f**king freezing right enough. No football for nearly four months. Rusty Hutton opened up the Camphill gym on Saturday mornings so the football teams could at least play indoors. Getting up Camphill was treacherous. Icy as hell.

Oh, uh!! You'll go to hell for saying that. It says that in the bible somewhere.I think.

A lot of folk getting hot under the collar. For every pseudo scientist who says global warming is real, there is another one who says bollocks it is. Scientists tend to be patronising bastards, just like our (alleged) in-house critter. Does anybody remember the John Cleese skit about patronising merchant bankers? At least that rhymed. Whether global warming exists and if it does and becomes problematic, man will sort it out. Engineers will probably help a bloody sight more than scientists, whatever they are. Remember, Einstein made mistakes and some of his 'discoveries' are under serious scrutiny even though he was a genius.

1963 was f**king freezing right enough. No football for nearly four months. Rusty Hutton opened up the Camphill gym on Saturday mornings so the football teams could at least play indoors. Getting up Camphill was treacherous. Icy as hell.

Hmmm, yes. It appears some other scientists say the earth was actually warmer a thousand years ago than it is today ?! Crux seems to me , a mere luddite that , if man hadn't been pumping the Greenhouse gases into the atmosphere over recent times and co2 emissions were reduced, then it could be suggested that the earth would have indeed cooled ?! So man is seemingly undoubtedly contributing something extra to the Big picture, but to what degree, well that is totally open to question.

Reconstruction of past climate studies show that over a couple of millennium the earth heated and cooled without man rocking on, it was warmer a thousand years ago that it is today.

I'm sure they didnt have speedos back then though..........although that is purely supposition.

TBH humans are doomed to extinction and that'll not be because of global warming.

It'll be down to the utter stupidity and wilful pig ignorance (feckless I think the word is) of people.

IMO there are two major problems for humans as a species.

Firstly, we have limited resources and a finely balanced environment on Earth.

That needs to be maintained.

Secondly, the sun will expire eventually and so we need to somehow figure out how to get to another solar system or galaxy at some point.

In terms of the long term survival of the species, these two things are the only show in town.

You'd need to ask yourself how high we prioritise those things financially to realise why humans are inevitably doomed as a species.

The only questions are when, how and what pain will the transition cause on those unlucky bastards fated to be around when it happens.

BTW don't think I'm necessarily gloomy about most of this.

For every pseudo scientist who says global warming is real, there is another one who says bollocks it is. Scientists tend to be patronising bastards, just like our (alleged) in-house critter. Does anybody remember the John Cleese skit about patronising merchant bankers? At least that rhymed. Whether global warming exists and if it does and becomes problematic, man will sort it out. Engineers will probably help a bloody sight more than scientists, whatever they are. Remember, Einstein made mistakes and some of his 'discoveries' are under serious scrutiny even though he was a genius.

Wrong, Rick.

Our resident, in-house critter says, "We're dooooomed!"

It's time that a terrible truth is told...

My Maw (and her pals) who were the school cleaners, used to return from their shifts (daily at 8.30 and 18.30.) by wheeching on trays downhill on slides they made.

It need never have been so treacherous, but for their irresponsible actions.

ETA: just took the following into consideration...

Well, personally, I wasn't around in 1963 to see it, so I'll take your word for it.

Bluto will remember it, according to oaky bluto was about 63 then. :)

Using those maths, my Maw must've been 90 at the time.

Bad auld basturts!

Edited by bluto

So there was a plague of icebergs?

Would icebergs not have melted by the time the reached Egypt?

Ah, got it now, this global warming malarkey isn't man made, it's god sending his icebergs to plague Egypt. He didn't really think this one through very well, did he. c**t!

Why would they have melted by the time they reached Egypt?

Container ships have freezers.

If they were being transported by container ship then surely the extra ones would get turned away at the docks due to there not being enough room. It also doesn't seem very practical to send a plague of icebergs through Egyptian customs.

You're not thinking this through...

They could be lined up, stem to stern, all along the Suez Canal.

The inhouse critter was actually talking about pollution not global warming but dont let that minor error spoil a hilarious rant.

The inhouse critter was actually talking about pollution not global warming but dont let that minor error spoil a hilarious rant.

I thought I'd been very circumspect. What makes you think I was referring to you? Nice to hear from you. Your sense of humour is almost blooming now.

Just last month NASA was showing evidence that far from the ice caps melting they are actually growing, particularly in the Antarctic and are currently at levels not seen since 1979.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

Still the doom mongers are predicting a man made climate apocalypse. I think Piers Corbyn is right. "Global warming" has been an agenda that has allowed governments to disproportionately increase taxation and so called scientists like Oaksoft have bought into this agenda no doubt so they can get their bone chucked at them by grateful governments in the form of research grants and funding.

That's probably why they don't refer to it as Global Warming any more. It was confusing idiots like you - "How can Global Warming predict that it will get colder in some places? That's just stoopit. Ah mean, it's bound to get colder in Calder". They call it Climate Change now.

Yeah, they do that because the evidence doesn't fit the Global Warming theory any more. The climate is always changing so it's a convenient name change that "panics" the world. :rolleyes:

The reason I linked to the NASA report was two fold, first off it was their evidence that the ice caps are growing in Antarctica and second it was because of the quotes then attributed to scientists in the article where they claimed that the growth of those ice caps completely fitted their expectations. Surely the point of science is not to try and make the evidence fit the theory, but to instead study the evidence and then work out what is going on.

Too much of this Global Warming issue looks like bad science to me and there's plenty of evidence to back it up. After all there is no money in research for a scientist right now who is going against the grain to prove Global Warming doesn't exist - especially when over the last 12 years the evidence points to the world actually having got cooler.

Yeah, they do that because the evidence doesn't fit the Global Warming theory any more. The climate is always changing so it's a convenient name change that "panics" the world. rolleyes.gif

The reason I linked to the NASA report was two fold, first off it was their evidence that the ice caps are growing in Antarctica and second it was because of the quotes then attributed to scientists in the article where they claimed that the growth of those ice caps completely fitted their expectations. Surely the point of science is not to try and make the evidence fit the theory, but to instead study the evidence and then work out what is going on.

Too much of this Global Warming issue looks like bad science to me and there's plenty of evidence to back it up. After all there is no money in research for a scientist right now who is going against the grain to prove Global Warming doesn't exist - especially when over the last 12 years the evidence points to the world actually having got cooler.

Honestly not trying to be pernickety, nor trying to do Oakstur out of a job, but the emboldened bit above is PRECISELY what I thought IS the point of science.

You weigh up the evidence, postulate a theory then test it against reality, look at how the evidence supports or destroys your theory. And then let your results be tested by other equally neutral scientists. That way, science (ahem) progresses.

Since I started this riposte... I see that slartibartfast has been more succinct than I... :rolleyes:

... and cruel.

Just last month NASA was showing evidence that far from the ice caps melting they are actually growing, particularly in the Antarctic and are currently at levels not seen since 1979. https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

Still the doom mongers are predicting a man made climate apocalypse. I think Piers Corbyn is right. "Global warming" has been an agenda that has allowed governments to disproportionately increase taxation and so called scientists like Oaksoft have bought into this agenda no doubt so they can get their bone chucked at them by grateful governments in the form of research grants and funding.

i havent stated a strong opinion on gloval warming other than to laugh at any prospect of the likes of you, bluto, shull or irish rick having the faintest idea how to even begin interpreting the scientific literature on it. i dont work in this area of research but i am vastly more educated in the subject than any of the four of you.

btw scientific literature doesnt include the daily mail.

Honestly not trying to be pernickety, nor trying to do Oakstur out of a job, but the emboldened bit above is PRECISELY what I thought IS the point of science.

You weigh up the evidence, postulate a theory then test it against reality, look at how the evidence supports or destroys your theory. And then let your results be tested by other equally neutral scientists. That way, science (ahem) progresses.

Since I started this riposte... I see that slartibartfast has been more succinct than I... :rolleyes:

... and cruel.

this is a decent summary of the scientific method.

Couple of Philistines!

It's obviously "smouted".

I expect to get smouted round about the same time as I get that letter from numbnuts' lawyer. smile.png

I'm not sure which of the two (the bible or thicko's lawyer patter) is the bigger fairytale.

Do they even compete on the same level . At least the bible is entertaining in places , especially when the heathens are being smote along with the unclean . Makes you wonder about the manky mob. .nerd.gif