Connor Newton - I'd Rather Have Teale In Midfield

I think people forget teal is not young any more to rest him against Aberdeen and have him fully fit for the hearts game and replace him with Newton was great tactics it also allowed us to include mcginn Goodwin McLean in the team and let McGowan play much further forward. My only fault the other night was mcginns reluctance to go down the wing!. having said that think he helped Kelly and was worried about leaving him exposed?.

I don't mind who Danny starts against hearts teal or Newton. Teal has been one of our best players. Newton played well the other night I thought! Makes us more solid in midfeild with Newton but more attacking with teal?.

i agree i think newton is more likely to use teale and vice versa than say dvz or goody is, mcginn should not be hung out on the wing he needs to be further in to use his holding and releasing skills to more effect

So, the consensus seems to be he was there to protect Van Panic, and as a result we dropped one of our best attacking options. Should we not, therefore, have dropped Van Panic in a game we really wanted to win ? Isabella fud face makes the valid point about Aberdeen having to worry about Teale, rather than us being worried. However Isabella the tromboner does make a silly point about McGinn providing width ? Not sure I've ever seen him race down the outside and put a telling cross in..,

I didn't make either point you fool. You've read someone else's post cock breath.

I do agree however that if Van Panic can't defend then he should have been dropped!

Now fuck off big nose.

Edited by Isabella Duke

So the bit in bold is NOT a criticism? O.K. I don't read that as you stating Teale shouldn't replace Newton. I read it as you saying you'ld have picked different personnel and different formation. No criticism there then?

Newton was set up to protect the right hand side but on numerous occassions drifted inside. O.K. for a right sided, marauding midfielder. Maybe less so for an orthodox right back with a man whose defensive game is suspect in front.

And how many games did Connor play for Newcastle?

No fight. Just debates and, in this case, corrections and fact stating.

Absolutely no criticism on my part, in fact I defended the decision by DL not to sub Teale on for Newton.

It isn't quite the line up I would have chosen but that's nothing more than an opinion.

I know that Newton has played a decent number of games at right-back, has good positional discipline and a good engine to support Teale had he played. DVZ has, I think, been struggling a bit and not playing Teale reduced out attacking options. There you are, my opinion and no criticisms whatsoever.

If you look through this, the match thread, the Hearts thread and the Lee Mair you'll see similar thoughts from many others.

Debate doesn't require swearing or aggression, now f**k off!!

Of course Teale should be playing, he's the only player who gives us width and who can provide thommo.

He should be given a licence to hug the touch line and just stay there. If you play a 5 in midfield you can do that, have Newton play inside him to cover the wide area defensively.

Why is Teale held in such high regard? Give me strength. He's the only player who gives us width and without checking stats, i'd hazard a guess he was our biggest assister last season. Newton doesn't provide any cover, because he can't defend and doesn't have any positional sense

I don't get why Teale is held in such high regard. I think he is good however he ain't a goal threat, he has yet to score a league goal for us and he is in his third season.

Completely agree.

He played absolutely no useful role in the first goal against Hearts in the Cup Final for example.

Any idiot could have run past the entire Hearts defence and squared the ball to Goncalves for a tap in.

Completely useless that guy and carries no threat at all..........

Completely agree.

He played absolutely no useful role in the first goal against Hearts in the Cup Final for example.

Any idiot could have run past the entire Hearts defence and squared the ball to Goncalves for a tap in.

Completely useless that guy and carries no threat at all..........

Completely misses the point made. Teale carries next to no goal threat, the stats agree.

However he can provide a few assists when he plays well. Something i feel he hasn't, if anything he's fully deserving of his time of the bench, unfortuantely our bench isn't big enough to fit the majority if not all the team this season.

Newton is a good player, although he has been disappointing when i've seen him this season. Our main problem is no one in our midfield is playing anywhere near their potential, and none deserve a certain place in the team.

I may be a fan boy, but i still believe McLean, has been our biggest threat from midfield this season.

Getting the balance right, that's the problem - two of the five most recent threads in this forum (this one & the Lee Mair thread presently) are currently discussing this and another one is a poll about which LB to start with on Saturday.

If the guy in position is doing a good job by & large I'm a sticker - so it's Kelly at LB for me and Mair & McGregor at CH. The balance on the right hand side is more difficult to assess, after a series of poor displays the midfield certainly matched Aberdeen on Monday night and this leaves us with the Teale problem - can we afford to accommodate a player who when in form offers us a lot going forward but has yet to score against SPFL opposition and who is not as strong defensively? On his game he's certainly worth picking but over the two-and-a-bit seasons he's been here how often has that been maybe 1/4, 1/5 games - of course he's not the only player who could be accused of inconsistency. cool.png Then there's his age - at 35 does he have the stamina for 90 minutes every week? This is a far more difficult decision to make - I'd hold Teale in reserve as an impact player but it might be worth considering whether to switch DVZ & Newton IIRC we did something similar before with Barron a few years ago.

The elephant in the thread (well he's been mentioned a couple of times) is Caprice and where he fits into the picture, it beggars belief that he should have been signed just to fill Robertson's role in the squad, have any of his sub appearances been in his supposed position - RB? Seems like another case of Lennon not having a clear idea of where to use a player.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Completely misses the point made. Teale carries next to no goal threat, the stats agree.

However he can provide a few assists when he plays well. Something i feel he hasn't, if anything he's fully deserving of his time of the bench, unfortuantely our bench isn't big enough to fit the majority if not all the team this season.

Newton is a good player, although he has been disappointing when i've seen him this season. Our main problem is no one in our midfield is playing anywhere near their potential, and none deserve a certain place in the team.

I may be a fan boy, but i still believe McLean, has been our biggest threat from midfield this season.

He's a winger.. since when was it a wingers job to score the goals? He gets by players and crosses the ball into the box or gets to the byline to cut it back. One of the reason Madrid paid so much for Bale and Ronaldo is that they do that and can also cut inside and score regularly but we're not gonna get that.

Gary Teale creates more goalscoring opportunities than the rest of the team put together, therefore he is a goal threat.

Hearts will be delighted if he doesn't play on Saturday.

anyone recommend a reliable website for giving stats on games played, goals scored and assists?

He's a winger.. since when was it a wingers job to score the goals? He gets by players and crosses the ball into the box or gets to the byline to cut it back. One of the reason Madrid paid so much for Bale and Ronaldo is that they do that and can also cut inside and score regularly but we're not gonna get that.

I would expect him to have scored a few league goals in 2 and a bit seasons. After all Mair, Cheesy, DVZ, Carey have chipped in with a few. Cheesy even set Thommo up with nice wing play in the Semi final. Of all our regular midfield players over the same period Teale is the only one not to have scored a league goal.

As for Teale's wonderful part in the goal in the final, I agree that was his finest moment. However I do wonder what would have happened had Isma not been on hand for the tap in. I'm not so sure Teale would have scored after being 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I repeat I like Teale he has been and still is a fine player and a legend, however I don't think he is as so good that people should be outraged when the manager decides to leave him out the team.

I would expect him to have scored a few league goals in 2 and a bit seasons. After all Mair, Cheesy, DVZ, Carey have chipped in with a few. Cheesy even set Thommo up with nice wing play in the Semi final. Of all our regular midfield players over the same period Teale is the only one not to have scored a league goal.

As for Teale's wonderful part in the goal in the final, I agree that was his finest moment. However I do wonder what would have happened had Isma not been on hand for the tap in. I'm not so sure Teale would have scored after being 1 on 1 with the keeper.

I repeat I like Teale he has been and still is a fine player and a legend, however I don't think he is as so good that people should be outraged when the manager decides to leave him out the team.

aye yer right also if the renfrew ferry wisnae in renfrew how would you get across to yoker

anyone recommend a reliable website for giving stats on games played, goals scored and assists?

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/6888/gary-teale?cc=5739

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/78950/paul-mcgowan?cc=5739

Interesting to see how few SPFL assists McGowan has - 11 in just over three seasons. Factor in 6 of his 13 SPFL goals being penalties and you might wonder who the real show pony in our squad is.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Interesting to see how few SPFL assists McGowan has - 11 in just over three seasons. Factor in 6 of his 13 SPFL goals being penalties and you might wonder who the real show pony in our squad is.

Its not exactly setting the heather on fire is it, which is something I have felt for a while and maybe why Danny has tried to play him in a deeper midfield role. In my opinion his biggest asset is his work rate and constant desire to be on the ball.

I think his best place is deeper mid and then using his passing to release people who are on a run down the wing (I'm thinking Vanzy at Ibrox).

Not sure how accurate those sites are they dont credit Conor Newton with an assist in the league cup but he defo set up Isma in the semi.

Comparing Teale and Newton is interesting even though CN hasn't been given credit for his semi assist. Very comparable in assists and he has scored more goals.