Jimmy Bone - Deluded

I think the reference he makes to the 1979 - 80team is that he simply gets Peter Weirs and Frank McAvennies names mixed up , when he,s trying to stress the quality of the forward line.

The Smith and Bone management team done very well in their transfer dealings , and started the 87 - 88 season relatively well , but long term injuries to Abercrombie and Cooper didn,t help , neither did the transfer rumours etc upsetting Ferguson , or the carry on McGarvey had after his stramash with Bone . Saints got drawn into the relegation battle because a few players weren,t giving their all.

Second time round Saints sold Baker , Lavety , Elliott ,Stickroth , Torfassen , Aitken , Gillies and Lambert, so the incoming transfers would be a lot closer to the £1.7 million , than we initially thought

I remember years ago going to a Clydebank v Saints game on the Renfrew Ferry.There were about 30 Buds on the boat and what a laugh when the chant went up.....Jimmy Bones Black and White Navy.smile.png

Was it 5 a side? whistling.gif

I wouldn't have thought the Renfrew Ferry could host 11 a side. lol.gif

I think the reference he makes to the 1979 - 80team is that he simply gets Peter Weirs and Frank McAvennies names mixed up , when he,s trying to stress the quality of the forward line.

The Smith and Bone management team done very well in their transfer dealings , and started the 87 - 88 season relatively well , but long term injuries to Abercrombie and Cooper didn,t help , neither did the transfer rumours etc upsetting Ferguson , or the carry on McGarvey had after his stramash with Bone . Saints got drawn into the relegation battle because a few players weren,t giving their all.

Second time round Saints sold Baker , Lavety , Elliott ,Stickroth , Torfassen , Aitken , Gillies and Lambert, so the incoming transfers would be a lot closer to the £1.7 million , than we initially thought

I'm certain Fitzpatrick sold Baker and Gillies, it was definitely Fitzy who hit out with the 'Ricky Gillies could play for AC Milan' line.

Still I think your point stands, £1.7m might not be too far off the mark.

I heard we were offered the choice of several Motherwell players of which cooper was one , it is worth bearing in mind that Cooper was finished by then and shortly after moved to Clydebank ,wewere also to get half of any transfer fee for Paul Lambert ,only no team in UK wanted him

Cooper might have been finished as a top class footballer by then, but Jim Gardner never started being one.

Saints had some weird and wonderful transfer dealings during that period.

Does anyone remember hearing a story about when Saints were trying to sell Billy Davies and alledgedly there was a bid from Dundee but when DFC were asked by Leicester City had they bid for BD they said "Naw"....Saints then sold BD on the cheap or so the story goes. He only ever played 6 games for them.

Did we not at one point show great interest in buying the Dundee strikers Keith Wright and Tommy Coyne?

TASWTCM fanzine did an article on this. They alleged that Lewis Kane obtained some Dundee FC headed notepaper and proceeded to fake a bid for Davies in order to try and up any amount the transfer tribunal would say the player was worth. As you say Leicester asked Dundee if they had bid and were told no. Not long after this was alleged to have occured Kane resigned as chairman and disappeared never to be seen again.

Jimmy Bone was a wonderful player for St Mirren. That goal that he scored against Aberdeen was one of the best individual goals that I've ever seen a St Mirren player score, fantastic stuff. He scored that goal against one of the best defences in the country as well, Leighton, McLeish, Miller etc etc. I have real good memories of that St Mirren side, they played some great stuff and Jimmy Bone was at the heart of that. Thanks for the memories JB !