St Mirren V St Johnstone Top League 19/10/13

shull

All we can hope for is Danny doesn't tinker with the team. Exactly the same line up as Tynecastle please, keep Grainger and Harkins on the bench and play McGinn and Kelly on the left.

The difference between the performance of those two kids on the left when contrasted with Grainger and Harkins (who played there at Easter Road) was unbelievable. DG and GH two experienced players but against Hibs they were lethargic, out of position and - in general - all over the place. Was no surprise that one was subbed off and hasn't played since and the other was sent off...and hasn't played since.

The left flank at Tynecastle last week was the best part of a good performance for me, the two kids looked they'd been playing there in a partnership with each other for years. McGinn was the obvious highlight, one minute he was drifting in at the back post to stick the ball in the net, the next he was covering for Kelly and making superb tackles. Sean was solid and full of energy and his distribution and positioning were excellent, the two of them seemed to have an innate understanding of when to over lap and when to hold back.

Long may that blossoming partnership between those two continue, and if this means Grainger and Harkins spend the season on the bench, good.

Agree with all of the above.

A month ago Danny was lambasted for playing McGinn and Newton on the flanks...clueless, play players in their correct positions etc etc

After a couple results...suddenly no one thinks twice, and our best 11 includes them playing out of their natural position. Amazing.

"We moderate the forum on a common sense basis and would ask that each of our visitors obeys simple general good manners when posting on the forum.

We will not tolerate unacceptable personal abuse of the players, management, board of directors or fellow supporters. Remember that everyone visiting the forum more than likely has a similar interest in the well being of St.Mirren Football Club.

It is not in our interests to see the club presented in a poor light and thus the moderaitng team WILL issue warnings to posters who we feel are engaging in abuse that is deemed to be personal or OTT."

Hmmmm.

Agree with all of the above.

A month ago Danny was lambasted for playing McGinn and Newton on the flanks...clueless, play players in their correct positions etc etc

After a couple results...suddenly no one thinks twice, and our best 11 includes them playing out of their natural position. Amazing.

Don't think anyone was lambasting Danny for playing McGinn on the flanks, mainly because he wasn't. He'd started one league match before the Aberdeen game, (in Inverness) and in that game he was played centrally.

The last match he played on the left was the last game of last season at Rugby Park, and he had an absolute stormer. He drifted in at the back post in that game and stuck away a goal aswell, very similar to the Tynecastle strike in a positional sense, but using his feet instead of his meatball heed. I think the left sided role is his best position personally, he can get lost in the middle sometimes - as he did in Inverness - but on the flank he has more space and he has a great sense of timing with runs into the box.

Sadly Harkins and McLean (yes really) have been occupying the left sided role for the majority of this season, and between them they were as useful as a chocolate teapot in that role. McLean is not a wide player and Harkins is well... Harkins.

As for the Newton/Teale conundrum, as good as Conor was against Hearts, i still think it's a mistake to play him out there. Gary's been our best player in 2013 in my opinion, and it's harsh on him that a kid playing out of position is keeping him out the team. I can see why Danny's done it, especially against Aberdeen and Hearts, as Newton offers more defensively and Teale is a more explosive option from the bench. However in the long run - not on Saturday as i wouldn't change a winning team - i expect Teale to get the right flank position back.

Conor should be competing with McLean and Goodwin for the two deep lying midfield roles.

I personally don't think it is right or fair to heavily criticise anyone who works for the Club or is a member of the Board of Directors on here.

However, if someone does heavily criticise someone at the Club then the least you would expect is that anyone quoting their posts and singling them out as a boo boy are "squeaky clean" when it comes to making negative posts about aforementioned individuals. Now then, does Faraway Saint come into the category as someone who wouldn't post harsh criticism of people employed by the Club?

Dearie me...

Nearly 2 years of digging, or in fs calender 5000 posts ago and thats the best you

can come up with, i think its time you learned to chill out a bit mate....

"We moderate the forum on a common sense basis and would ask that each of our visitors obeys simple general good manners when posting on the forum.

We will not tolerate unacceptable personal abuse of the players, management, board of directors or fellow supporters. Remember that everyone visiting the forum more than likely has a similar interest in the well being of St.Mirren Football Club.

It is not in our interests to see the club presented in a poor light and thus the moderaitng team WILL issue warnings to posters who we feel are engaging in abuse that is deemed to be personal or OTT."

Hmmmm.

First time I've been on this thread in days and Div is on holiday. Not a single person has hit the report button for posts in this thread, that would help the moderating team know there is a problem.

Warning given :)

Nearly 2 years of digging, or in fs calender 5000 posts ago and thats the best you

can come up with, i think its time you learned to chill out a bit mate....

Indeed.

He's so eaten up with anger and upset with me he's failed to see my post was being sarcastic at the doom merchants and cheesy haters.

Never mind, his desperation is becoming increasingly amusing although its not fair to mock the simple.

Taking my 7 year old nephew to his first game of the season tomorrow. We generally get decent results when young Callum is in attendance. A 5-4 win against Ross County was one that springs to mind so more of the same please as that was a belter of a game.

I've just stuck money on 5-4, hope Callum wears his lucky scarf.

:)

Guest somner9

First time I've been on this thread in days and Div is on holiday. Not a single person has hit the report button for posts in this thread, that would help the moderating team know there is a problem.

Warning given smile.png

Surely another... what does he like calling them..? ah yes 'meltdown' hasn't occured on the abroathshire wan's watch??? Is there a pattern developing here? or just different day same auld pishy wind-ups..?

On the McGinn positioning; had a great game against Stockport playing left as well during pre season. Definitely his best position.

He did indeed. Absolutely bizarre that despite playing so well in that position towards the end of last season and in pre season, he had to wait until October to get his first start there this season.

I am still of the opinion that two home league wins in ten and a half months is inexcusable for a club manager and do not think that defeating Hearts, who are by far the weakest team in the league, is reason to remove the heat from Lennon. Perhaps I am pessimistic by nature but i fear we will lose yet again tomorrow to what is a jinx team. The question is, what happens to Lennon should this occur ?

I am still of the opinion that two home league wins in ten and a half months is inexcusable for a club manager and do not think that defeating Hearts, who are by far the weakest team in the league, is reason to remove the heat from Lennon. Perhaps I am pessimistic by nature but i fear we will lose yet again tomorrow to what is a jinx team. The question is, what happens to Lennon should this occur ?

Not an unreasonable post but still focuses on the negatives.

What happens if we lose tomorrow, nothing in the near future.

Lennon is still under pressure, a good performance against an in form Aberdeen and winning fairly comfortably against Hearts, who, like any team we beat, immediately become shite, is short term relief for the manager.

I'm in no position to give a definitive time or scenario when Lennon's future should be decided, I'll leave that others who are more expert in this area.

I wouldnt say that any team we beat is automatically how you describe it, but surely its beyond dispute that the current Hearts team is weakened beyond repair and unlikely to be strengthened before the season ends.

The main point is that 90% of Saints fans, those who only attend home games, have barely seen wins or decent performances over the last couple of seasons. For that , I blame the person who signs the players and picks the team.

Good post. We have had a disgraceful start to the season and the pressure is still very much on the manager, and I'm sure he is well aware of this

All we can hope for is Danny doesn't tinker with the team. Exactly the same line up as Tynecastle please, keep Grainger and Harkins on the bench and play McGinn and Kelly on the left.

The difference between the performance of those two kids on the left when contrasted with Grainger and Harkins (who played there at Easter Road) was unbelievable. DG and GH two experienced players but against Hibs they were lethargic, out of position and - in general - all over the place. Was no surprise that one was subbed off and hasn't played since and the other was sent off...and hasn't played since.

The left flank at Tynecastle last week was the best part of a good performance for me, the two kids looked they'd been playing there in a partnership with each other for years. McGinn was the obvious highlight, one minute he was drifting in at the back post to stick the ball in the net, the next he was covering for Kelly and making superb tackles. Sean was solid and full of energy and his distribution and positioning were excellent, the two of them seemed to have an innate understanding of when to over lap and when to hold back.

Long may that blossoming partnership between those two continue, and if this means Grainger and Harkins spend the season on the bench, good.

Pity there is no like,like,like,like button - bang on post.

Keep the faith and keep the same team.