The "i'll Hold My Hands Up And Say I Was Wrong About Danny

I might be willing to give Lennon a bit of leeway on 8th place if we were closer to it than 10th but as I've said elsewhere unless Bahoken improves I don't see us being able to put together the sort of run that will take us much further up the table.

Maybe a bit off topic but from what I've seen of Bahookie (Motherwell and Aberdeen games) i think he will be a good player for us. When he came of the bench, particularly against Aberdeen, he held the ball up well and looked strong, quick, found himself space and put a few good balls into the box. He's obviously not had alot of 1st team football and needs time to adapt to scottish football but not every player is going to make the kind of impact Isma did that was a bit of a fluke.

Maybe a bit off topic but from what I've seen of Bahookie (Motherwell and Aberdeen games) i think he will be a good player for us. When he came of the bench, particularly against Aberdeen, he held the ball up well and looked strong, quick, found himself space and put a few good balls into the box. He's obviously not had alot of 1st team football and needs time to adapt to scottish football but not every player is going to make the kind of impact Isma did that was a bit of a fluke.

Yup, no doubt the lad has potential but to state the bleedin' obvious he could do with scoring a goal.

Is "Bahookie" an actual thing we're doing now? :(

He made an absolute arse of the first half dozen + games, of that there is no doubt. Many on here were screaming for similar line ups to the one which delivered the last 2 results. Reintroducing Mair and McGregor and putting Goodwin back in midfield (which many had been asking for all along) have had a great impact on the team.

What I will say is that the majority on here got it right. But in fairness to Danny he has effectively held his hands up and admitted he made mistakes in the opening half dozen games, so fair play to him for being big enough to make the changes we needed. Certain other managers (and one former manager of this club) would have plodded along to try and get a "get it up you" to the fans.

I for one never thought he would have been a big enough man to own up, but he has, he has transformed the style of football in the space of two games and hopefully we kick into a good run of form.

Anyway, I was wrong in that I never thought he'd see the light and actually make the changes he has.

Well done Danny!

This is my first time posting on here, previously only read posts but decided to make a contribution. It appears that over the course of a week, during which Saints have managed a draw and a win, the attitude to Lennon has changed radically. Would I be right in thinking that many fans have forgiven the manager his awful recent record and threat of possible dismissal, on the basis of a home draw and a win against what is undoubtedly the weakest team in the league ?

Not wishing to take anything away from the last two results - they were long overdue - but shouldnt a decision be taken after a few wins in a row before congratulating someone who has only brought to an end a succession of failures ?

Guest somner9

Indeed.

The fact that Danny didn't realise that while many punters on here did highlights how clueless he is!

What punters were calling for that..?

all I read were clueless punters calling for Danny's heid, whilst getting involved with a viral campaign to discredit him on twitter.

They're fecked noo!

all I read were clueless punters calling for Danny's heid, whilst getting involved with a viral campaign to discredit him on twitter.

They're fecked noo!

I hid from twitter while that shite was going on. I hope danny and the players did the same. That's the beauty of twitter - very easy to ignore. Twittwr is a laugh but it's also populated by some rare morons.

A couple of decent performances doesn't tell us everything. It shows it's still possible - that DL hasn't 'lost the dressing room'. But this is St Mirren and we're still capable of five more games without a win on the bounce.

If I was running the club, i'd give Lennon a points target by Xmas. Realistic, mind: 20, 22, something like that. And if we've not reached it, I'd make a quick replacement in time to make squad changes in the window, if possible.

He's earned a stay of execution but that's all.

Many on here were screaming for similar line ups to the one which delivered the last 2 results.

I certainly didn't see many similar line ups in the thread where posters were suggesting the best line ups.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/37146-what-would-be-your-first-choice-xi-and-formation/

On average, posters selected teams with 5 different players from our current line up and most were different in terms of player's positions in the team.

I certainly didn't see many similar line ups in the thread where posters were suggesting the best line ups.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/37146-what-would-be-your-first-choice-xi-and-formation/

On average, posters selected teams with 5 different players from our current line up and most were different in terms of player's positions in the team.

To be fair to Oaksoft, he called this early in that thread, and he was spot-on:

So we are less than 16 posts in and not a single person agrees with anyone else on either formation or first 11.

Shows you how hard a job it is to please all the fans.

For me, Danny made some changes for the Dons game, but, more importantly, he was courageous enough to stick with them going into what was arguably the biggest match of the first quarter. I think that was the most significant point for me, and he deserves credit. I didn't have the required faith in Danny to think he could turn it round, and he hasn't done so as yet, but he has laid the foundations and now has something to build on. I wish him nothing but the very best going forward.

They're fecked noo!

So the fact he dropped the marquee signing of the summer leaves 2 ways to think about that one.

A) brave, rational decision. Has seen an upturn in form. Good to see youth getting a shot.

B) wtf were you thinking of by setting up a team with mcgowan, harkins and mclean all playing together, and spunking the budget so we couldn't strengthen the main problem areas.

Two ways to look at it....

So the fact he dropped the marquee signing of the summer leaves 2 ways to think about that one.

A) brave, rational decision. Has seen an upturn in form. Good to see youth getting a shot.

B) wtf were you thinking of by setting up a team with mcgowan, harkins and mclean all playing together, and spunking the budget so we couldn't strengthen the main problem areas.

Two ways to look at it....

No idea why b has been replaced by a smilie face?

No idea why b has been replaced by a smilie face?

because putting b and ) together gives you cool.png

As for the question. I think Harkins was brought in to Replace McGowan and, as he cost so much per month, Danny tried to utilise him.

Perhaps the question should have been why did Danny let Paul stay after getting Gary in?

They're fecked noo!

I said on several occasions... ' Drop Harkins and play McGowan further forward. ' I must have said it on this forum before or after every single game this season until the Aberdeen game.

Lo and behold, he drops Harkins and plays McGowan further forward and our fortunes change.

The first question must be why he thought it was the right decision to move and/or drop one of the best players in the country to accommodate a useless show pony like Harkins. The second question must be why it took him so long to realise such an obvious mistake.

Guest somner9

I said on several occasions... ' Drop Harkins and play McGowan further forward. ' I must have said it on this forum before or after every single game this season until the Aberdeen game.

Lo and behold, he drops Harkins and plays McGowan further forward and our fortunes change.

The first question must be why he thought it was the right decision to move and/or drop one of the best players in the country to accommodate a useless show pony like Harkins. The second question must be why it took him so long to realise such an obvious mistake.

I think what the post i commented on was alluding too was that 'many punters' were calling for Goodwin to move to the midfield holding role, and McGregor and Mair to be brought into the first team as central defenders.

I don't recall 'many punters' calling for that at all.

As regards buying Harkins when we have a surfeit of playmakers in midfield/forward..? maybe he thought Mclean or Mcgowan were/are headed for pastures new..? or he just fancies having too feckin many of that type of player kicking their heels?

The upshot is all the factors combined to give us a much better balance in holding midfield (Goodwin & newton) a defence thats stood up to the line (McGregor, Mair, Kelly,) and a potent attacking threat with the Mc's (Gowser, Ginn, Lean) causing all sorts of problems and linking up well with Thommo.

The icing on the cake would be for Bahoken to start smashing them in, and leaving opposition defenders in his wake a la' Isma

I think what the post i commented on was alluding too was that 'many punters' were calling for Goodwin to move to the midfield holding role, and McGregor and Mair to be brought into the first team as central defenders.

I don't recall 'many punters' calling for that at all.

As regards buying Harkins when we have a surfeit of playmakers in midfield/forward..? maybe he thought Mclean or Mcgowan were/are headed for pastures new..? or he just fancies having too feckin many of that type of player kicking their heels?

The upshot is all the factors combined to give us a much better balance in holding midfield (Goodwin & newton) a defence thats stood up to the line (McGregor, Mair, Kelly,) and a potent attacking threat with the Mc's (Gowser, Ginn, Lean) causing all sorts of problems and linking up well with Thommo.

The icing on the cake would be for Bahoken to start smashing them in, and leaving opposition defenders in his wake a la' Isma

Fully agree with this.

It was evident that DL was trying to justify his signings. He didn't go back to basics until under extreme pressure (we'll never know what Mr Gilmour and the board told him, although I think we have an idea) and it's right he's called to account for what is at least an error of judgement. We know what a bloody minded manager is (Gus), but you can only do that when you're getting points on the table. Personally I like Danny and am grateful for the cup last year,but he could not be allowed to continue that run of results.

If his signings like Harkins Grainger and Bahoken can break into the starting XI, then fair enough, but they have to earn it, Danny has to keep the bones of that formation to keep earning points in my view, injuries and suspensions will happen, but players should slot into that structure rather than see McGowan back Centre Mid or Goodwin back at centre half.

Guest somner9

Fully agree with this.

It was evident that DL was trying to justify his signings. He didn't go back to basics until under extreme pressure (we'll never know what Mr Gilmour and the board told him, although I think we have an idea) and it's right he's called to account for what is at least an error of judgement. We know what a bloody minded manager is (Gus), but you can only do that when you're getting points on the table. Personally I like Danny and am grateful for the cup last year,but he could not be allowed to continue that run of results.

If his signings like Harkins Grainger and Bahoken can break into the starting XI, then fair enough, but they have to earn it, Danny has to keep the bones of that formation to keep earning points in my view, injuries and suspensions will happen, but players should slot into that structure rather than see McGowan back Centre Mid or Goodwin back at centre half.

argee with you too!

Goodwin is a feckin clusterf**k in central defence as the main criteria for the role demnds holding position, shape and zone. all the things he doesn't do well! What he does well is read the game and is quick to enforce across the middle, a buffer for the back four, a provider for the creative midfield and forwards.

everybody but Danny got it that Gowser's best games are where he's tucked in behind the striker running around dropping hand grenades everywhere in the oppositions last quarter.

And totally agree that the signings will have to fight for a jersey, Grainger needs a few U20's games to get his match-fitness/skill back, hopefully Harkins has the same shaped arse as Aaron Mooy? the exercise bike beckons. Bahoken needs to swagger and just go for it!

Edit: Cheesy's got a right scrap on his hands to get back in when fully fitwhistling.gif

Edited by somner9