Guys can someone help me, my father in law has asked for a book for xmas about two brothers, one who played for us in the fifties/sixties maybe, was in the sunday mail a few weeks ago but the names have escaped me!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabulous-Baker-Boys-Greatest-Strikers/dp/1780271743/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381532897&sr=1-3&keywords=baker+brothers

Good post GD, think I'll get the book. My late Dad used to tell me story after story about Gerry Baker and the cup winning team of 1958.

He told me the fans had a song "baker is the best buy the best buy the best buy in years."

There was an advertisement on the telly at the time for McEwens beer. McEwens is the best buy in beers.

Good post GD, think I'll get the book. My late Dad used to tell me story after story about Gerry Baker and the cup winning team of 1958.He told me the fans had a song "baker is the best buy the best buy the best buy in years." There was an advertisement on the telly at the time for McEwens beer. McEwens is the best buy in beers.

we won the cup in 58?

As we're talking about Gerry Baker does anyone know if it's true that he was a professional sprinter as well as a professional footballer? It was rumored that when he played with us and other clubs he took part in the Powderhall Sprint and other races. He had to miss the Powderhall Sprint quite often because it took place on New Year's day when he was playing football. I don't think I've ever seen a quicker player off the mark for the first ten or fifteen yards. A real gift for a striker. To younger guys on here it probably sounds odd talking about professional sprinters but back then athletics was virtually totally amateur.

Maybe the new book has the answers. I'll get one of my kids to buy me it for Xmas.

also to late for me to stop getting the tattoo artist who I'd asked to add the 58 cup win to the others a have on my arm. 26 59 87 13 58, anyone got any ideas how I fix this? :o

Stop fretting Bud !

Just a few decades till i start my ' Road tae Hampden 2058 ' Thread.

A bit of patience Sir.

As we're talking about Gerry Baker does anyone know if it's true that he was a professional sprinter as well as a professional footballer? It was rumored that when he played with us and other clubs he took part in the Powderhall Sprint and other races. He had to miss the Powderhall Sprint quite often because it took place on New Year's day when he was playing football. I don't think I've ever seen a quicker player off the mark for the first ten or fifteen yards. A real gift for a striker. To younger guys on here it probably sounds odd talking about professional sprinters but back then athletics was virtually totally amateur.

Maybe the new book has the answers. I'll get one of my kids to buy me it for Xmas.

The term professional athlete would have included football players and therefore they would have been barred from competing in amature athletics and could only compete in professional athletics , Rule were very strict in those days, I think Roy Aitken was also a professional sprinter.

Rumor has it that some forum members are also professionals.

The term professional athlete would have included football players and therefore they would have been barred from competing in amature athletics and could only compete in professional athletics , Rule were very strict in those days, I think Roy Aitken was also a professional sprinter.

Rumor has it that some forum members are also professionals.

Can't somehow imagine Aitken as a sprinter but then big McCloy of Rangers was a fantastic sprinter. I'm fairly sure he did win Powderhall on at least one occasion. He was a brilliant golfer too, so what an all round sportsman. I bet Gerry would have beaten him though. No bias!

Are you sure some posters are hoors?

Can't somehow imagine Aitken as a sprinter but then big McCloy of Rangers was a fantastic sprinter. I'm fairly sure he did win Powderhall on at least one occasion. He was a brilliant golfer too, so what an all round sportsman. I bet Gerry would have beaten him though. No bias!

Are you sure some posters are hoors?

In 1975 Ladbrokes sponsored the "Scotsman" Professional Footballers 75 yard sprint. It was won by Kenny Thomson (Dunfermline), with Arthur Duncan (Hibs) second and Duncan Lambie (St. Johnstone) third.