Still Game - The Return

shull

Why did they fall out in the first place??huh.png

Jokingly I was going to say, probably creative differences, but decided to Google for the right answer. According to the article I just read, it was creative differences. Honest.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/scotlands-best-loved-comedy-stars-ford-2372494

I find comedy series generally have a short lifespan as LOL entities - most of those that I like only lasted 2/3 series (Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Porridge) after that they generally settle into soapish plots with less funny material - I'll cite Only Fools & Horses as a series that went on way too long, it should have ended after Rodney's wedding - the reprisals in the early 2000's were embarrassing. Rab C. Nesbitt was feral & furiously funny at first but again lost it's edge when the writer tried to make the cast more cuddly in the wake of the Burney actors real-life tragedy. Generally a good rule (as mentioned in The Simpsons) is that the introduction of new characters is a sign that ideas are flagging e.g. The Big Bang Theory - pairing off Raj (especially with the Lucy character) just smacked of desperation.

Exceptions to the 2/3 Series Rule were Dad's Army although a lot of it's humour was gentle & nostalgic & The Simpsons which isn't constrained by reality also there's a little bit of Homer in every middle aged man (sic).

On topic - Still Game wasn't my cup of tea & following my OF&H rules I'll likely give the new series a swerve.

Edited by Bud the Baker

^^^^^^^^^*^ Nice post, too much time on your hands, away and make bread or cakes or whatever you bake. ;)

One of the side effects of my job is being up early on non workdays, although I'm very rarely lucid at that time.

Veering off-topic I see the Glasgow Tops Uk Workless Homes Survey thread has been bumped - how realistic is a sitcom set in a working class area of Glasgow with a substantial septagenarian population? sad.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

One of the side effects of my job is being up early on non workdays, although I'm very rarely lucid at that time.

Veering off-topic I see the Glasgow Tops Uk Workless Homes Survey thread has been bumped - how realistic is a sitcom set in a working class area of Glasgow with a substantial vegetarian population? Posted Image

Sorted. :)

Veering off-topic I see the Glasgow Tops Uk Workless Homes Survey thread has been bumped - how realistic is a sitcom set in a working class area of Glasgow with a substantial septuagenarian population? sad.png

What're you driving at?

The 'working-class' won't last to that age? Or they don't inhabit such an area? :unsure:

What're you driving at?

The 'working-class' won't last to that age? Or they don't inhabit such an area? unsure.png

Um, IIRC the high flat they live in (now demolished in real life) was in Glasgow's East End (Calton) where life expectancy is less than many third world countries, well 5 years ago anyway.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/men-in-glasgows-east-end-have-life-988632

I like the use of inverted commas. spudnikconfounded.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

That was no bad when i saw that on Saturday night

Saw it at the Edinburgh Festival back in August. It's great when you see it live.

Veering off-topic I see the Glasgow Tops Uk Workless Homes Survey thread has been bumped - how realistic is a sitcom set in a working class area of Glasgow with a substantial septagenarian population? sad.png

What are you talking about? They're in their 40s. They only LOOK septuagenarian cos they're Weegies.

Um, IIRC the high flat they live in (now demolished in real life) was in Glasgow's East End (Calton) where life expectancy is less than many third world countries, well 5 years ago anyway. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/men-in-glasgows-east-end-have-life-988632 I like the use of inverted commas. :spud5

The high rise block was and still is just off Maryhill Road/Dawsholm area by the White House canal locks. Most of the locations were in that area and Ruchill where the original series Clansman pub scenes were shot in the now demolished Gimlet pub. The fixtures and fittings were purchased to recreate the interior setting within a studio.

Navid's store is within the Townhead high rises, one or two other east end locations were used the odd time too.

Edited by FS

So 4 shows at the Hydro announced yesterday and a further 2 announced today

looks like selling out quite quickly, 12000 seats at between 30 and 45 quid a ticket means they will be doing well out of it anyway!!!

managed to get 2 tickets for the friday show yesterday, went in today to look at getting two more for a friend and there was over 10,000 people in the queue

a new bbc series will probably be on the way after the show also

So 4 shows at the Hydro announced yesterday and a further 2 announced today

looks like selling out quite quickly, 12000 seats at between 30 and 45 quid a ticket means they will be doing well out of it anyway!!!

managed to get 2 tickets for the friday show yesterday, went in today to look at getting two more for a friend and there was over 10,000 people in the queue

a new bbc series will probably be on the way after the show also

Good news, I just hope it's as funny as it was.

• 3 years later...