Dundee United V St Mirren Top League 26/10/13

shull

Just back from game. Dundee ute were superb and that's the best performance from an sol team I've seen in a long time. They look brilliant and still minus Dillon goodwillie Gomis Armstrong

We just weren't good enough same again abuse was crazy folk givin tommy Craig abuse

Particular one guy constant manning but his mates Mari thomo and vanity could do no wrong. f**king suck of that crap.

Right, so, as per usual on here the discussion is banned and we're just to accept todays result. 11th will be fine, the squad is great and "legend" Lennon has a free pass. It was just a very good Dundee United team, the fact they had the freedom of 80 yards of the park doesn't matter.

6 seconds, SIX, it took for us to fall apart and it took one pass not to feet for McGowan to spit the dummy. But that's fine, United were very good.

We couldn't pass, mark, cross, tackle, pressure, adapt, take control of anything, shoot, dribble, retain possession, use possession well or pose a real threat...but, that's all fine as United were very good.

At least the booing debate hasn't been rehashed, hate to make those overpaid, inept, inconsistent individuals in our squad feel any worse than they did for the 5 seconds it took them to shake the result off and ponder which pub they'd be in tonight.

Agree 100%.

Today was a disgrace. I'm sorry, Dundee United are a good team but did they have an experienced head among their 11? Rankin maybe? Other than that they were a young team and they tore us, a team packed with experience and apparent quality, to shreds. They were good, but we let them be Barcelona.

That's the worst performance I've seen by a Saints team in a good couple of years. We have the ball away every time, we couldn't create anything, we couldn't pass, we couldn't tackle, we couldn't mark. What does Lennon do to counter it? Nothing. He waits till we're three down and looking likely to conceded about five more before he changes any personnel. Then he brings on the only options we have - a flattering to deceive Harkkns, Caprice - has he ever seen a football? - and a young defender at right back. That's the level of options we have available to us. Meanwhile, United bring on the classy Gomis and even leave Goodwillie on the bench.

I respect Danny for the cup win but I'm absolutely fed up of turning up at games, particularly away, to be given nothing - absolutely NOTHING - to make we want to return. No passion, no flair or creativity, no excitement, nothing to make me think there's some hope that we might be progressing as a football club. Nothing.

We have an excellent young player in John McGinn - he's potentially our best young player for years - and we should be building the team around him. Utd are doing it with Gauld, so why not us? Instead, we give imposters like Goodwin and Newton more game time and try to play McGinn as a winger. It's absolute crap and it'll be the ruin of our best young footballer for a generation.

Finally, well done to the Saints fans who turned up today in very good numbers, and well done for not being afraid to make your feelings very clear to the management team. Tommy Craig clearly acknowledged the unrest and it's good to know they are hearing us loud and clear. I can normally pull the positives from a performance but today, there were none. There wasn't even a glimmer of promise anywhere. We were like a 2nd or 3rd division team playing the Old Firm, such was the gap in quality, desire and ability.

If we ever want to become the top six team we're consistently lied to about having the potential to be, we must bring in a manager who is unafraid to ruffle a few feathers, and open our chequebook for him. Otherwise, we're done as a football club looking to compete on the biggest stage and we might as well consign our hopes to avoiding relegation every year, at best. If that's the heights we can look forward to league-wise, I'm sorry to say I'm out. I can't support a club and team which has such a massive lack of ambition while others around us thrive.

Yes because the "turned the corner" crowd believed we were going to win every remaining game and that we'd never lose again or put in another poor performance.

Is that really what you think we are thinking?

I got the impression that the "turned the corner" crowd believed we were competitive again and that we weren't really as bad as the start to the season had suggested.

Today's thrashing shows we really are as bad as the start if the season suggested!

Lennon must go!

At least change the formation when its not working, easy, he hasn't a clue. What was Tommy Craig all about waving telling the saints fans to calm down when we're getting humped?

People were screaming at him to make a sub and bizarrely, to get Lennon to stand up (still don't see what difference that would have made) and was saying "hang on, the subs are coming". They came on, what? 2 minutes after that?

By all accounts, United played very well. However, the "goals against column"..... Last season we conceded the most goals (60) we'd conceded in the SPL since we came back. This season we've conceded 20 in just 10 games. Teams that ships goals at that rate get relegated.

Would any of our defenders be first picks for another SPL side? Meanwhile, 10 games in and we're already onto our 3rd goalkeeper. We are really weak at the back.

We'll take a few more hidings this season. I just hope we can pick up enough wins to avoid 11th. If we do get away with it then the defence will need major surgery, if not complete replacement in the summer.

By all accounts, United played very well. However, the "goals against column"..... Last season we conceded the most goals (60) we'd conceded in the SPL since we came back. This season we've conceded 20 in just 10 games. Teams that ships goals at that rate get relegated.

Would any of our defenders be first picks for another SPL side? Meanwhile, 10 games in and we're already onto our 3rd goalkeeper. We are really weak at the back.

We'll take a few more hidings this season. I just hope we can pick up enough wins to avoid 11th. If we do get away with it then the defence will need major surgery, if not complete replacement in the summer.

tell that to mr mcausland snr

Yeah it's the end of the first quarter (OK we've got a game in hand but it's against Celtic) and Hearts are 15 points behind 11th place team - us :( . Hearts are not coming back.

Moving on - today was a bad result and should knock some sense into the "turned the corner" crowd - I still think our squad should be enough to keep us in the fight for 10th place. Ross County are one of our rivals in the battle to avoid the play-off spot so a win next week would be a great result a draw a reasonable one. Perhaps time to freshen up the starting 11 now - let's hope we can start picking up points most weeks from here on in.

As ever - COYS!

A draw at home to county a good result. I have heard it all. Our ambition must be better than that no? Edited by norrie82

Heavy defeats beginning to stack up and it doesn't make good reading. Hearts are gone , it's the worst Hearts team in living memory , but 11th is not good enough !Would Danny walk next week if we lost to County ? Not a chance , unless it's on his terms !

If he loses to county he should be sacked. Look we're pretty crap we have a horrendous defence and the winter is just beginning.

Edited by norrie82

FFS, this thread is terrible.

At every level teams win games, teams lose games. Dundee Utd are a good side. We won last week, we will probably win next week.....if we do end up relegated (unlikely) or in the play offs (possible) it wont be an away defeat to Dundee Utd in October that put us there.

We could almost argue that Hearts getting beat again negates our defeat.....

We will take our chances with Kilmarnock, Ross County and Thiistle......aye and/or which ever 1st divisison club is in the play offs.

So st.johnstone, Inverness , hibs etc are all too big and too good for us? I hate to break it to you but thistle are playing some tremendous football for a promoted club so I doubt we will be catching them and maybe county and killie are catchable but is it really that shit that we are already accepting a relegation or playoff rather battle? I tell you for a club that has had 7 years in the league we should be moving up the table and this is not good enough.

Its an interesting league ,apart from Selic all the teams have a chance of beating each other .

An average St Mirren start of the league would be 12 points from the first 12 games , so we are a wee bit behind shedule , but with a few breaks , we can make it up.

Glad I chose not to go to todays game , and save 40 quid , which allowed me to go out for a meal with the missus tonight.

I can sympathise with the boo boys , it cost a lot of fans a lot of money to watch footie these days , and we are quite entitled to see them put in a good shift.

Two wins from our next two games and we are on schedule to stay up.

Come on ye Saints

Yeah it's the end of the first quarter (OK we've got a game in hand but it's against Celtic) and Hearts are 15 points behind 11th place team - us sad.png . Hearts are not coming back.

Moving on - today was a bad result and should knock some sense into the "turned the corner" crowd - I still think our squad should be enough to keep us in the fight for 10th place. Ross County are one of our rivals in the battle to avoid the play-off spot so a win next week would be a great result a draw a reasonable one. Perhaps time to freshen up the starting 11 now - let's hope we can start picking up points most weeks from here on in.

As ever - COYS!

A draw at home to county a good result. I have heard it all. Our ambition must be better than that no?

Learn to read! 1eye.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Well that was all sorts of shite, all over the park. The only one who was going to get some sort of pass mark was Thommo but his second half miss was unbelievable so that takes care of that.

Did not see a performance like that coming at all after the last few games. I know we're not the most physical of teams but neither are they and they bullied us all over the park and that was really disappointing. I excuse Thmmo from that as he won almost every header up front but there was nobody within 20 feet of him most times and we we're crying out for Bahoken at HT to try and change the pattern of play as the ball just wasn't sticking up front.

They were very good yesterday but it still took two shitty goals to get them in front at HT but as soon as they got them the confidence just surged through the team and guys like Gauld and McKay-Stephens wanted it all the time.

I'm not a Lennon fan (neither am I a Lennon basher) but the lack of international between him and the team during the game was indicative of the fact he didn't know what to do to counter the f**king pummeling we were taking. Maybe he should sit up in the stand for a bit as it was patently obvious to most of us what was going wrong with the formation and tactics employed yesterday yet he stubbornly persisted with the same shit throughout the 1st Half, start of the 2nd half and even when we brought the three subs on we kept toiling away with the same formation. Very frustrating!

Two big games coming up and 4 points from those are pretty much a must if we're not to find ourselves anchored in 2nd bottom come the turn of the year.

Incidentally, the abuse meted out to players and management yesterday (Goodwin and Craig in particular) from some supporters was shocking. These guys need to have a good look at themselves because there is simply no excuse for that shit at all, irrespective of the result on the park.

Its so long ago i cant remember probably the year we ended up third in the old premier .

Our joint best ever league finish - is anything less than that unacceptable? If so you're gonna be happy say once every 50 years or so - at best!

Realistically our aim for the rest of this season has to be 10th and avoiding the play-off spot, anything better will be a bonus. Am I happy with this - NO, but I can live with it, bottom end of the SPL is our natural position, I always hope for better but the main thing is to be there to fight the fight next season.