The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's too soon to judge, renewables are still in the development phase. And at least they won't cost the billions to decommission that nuclear currently does.

At best, and the current amount of these windmills would have to increase even further, wind energy will be a nice wee back up.

While I personally don't find them visually offensive many do and the amount required to make them a major player would result in the countryside and seashore covered in these massive constructions.

It'll never be a major source as I said, it's inefficient and too inconsistent to be relied on.

PS What he said below me. thumbup2.gif

Edited by faraway saint

i think that higher taxation here and better opportunities down south may well see a further drain of our best talents should a yes vote come to win the day. this has always been a problem for us (lack of opportunities causing the brain drain) and many including the majority of my siblings have gone south to get better lives because that was where they could get the best deal for their particular talents,staying in scotland was not so bad as it is less expensive to live here but if it becomes as expensive or even more expensive to live in scotland compared to southern england then i fear more talent will up sticks and move there.

Who is talking about higer taxes in Scotland?

This is the sort of default to fear nonsense which is plaguing the debate.

I think the Scottish people have the potential to do great things in order to take Scotland forward as a nation. However, centuries of oppression and more recent extremely Anglo centric policies have knocked the fight out of us and we seem to accept that the political situation during our life time is as good as it gets.

******* SORRY... WHAT CENTURIES OF OPPRESSION ARE YOU IMAGINING? Are you a celtic supporter? Paranoid? The British Empire was founded in large part by Scots. The Union came about because Scotland was pretty much bankrupt due the Darien exploit. Falling in with the English helped Scotland gain great wealth and provided lots of jobs for Jocks abroad. It was our Empire as much as the English.

There haven't been Anglo-centric policies... There have been rightwingwankfest policies (the adjective wasn't mine. It was suggested by the predictive text on this iPad.... Oops.) which appealed to the majority of voters in the UK. And now - cos a few Scots don't like them - they want to give up without a fight and abandon the rest of the UK to that kind of shite.

So much for democracy, so much for passion, morality and doing the right thing. Scots have had a slightly tough time and so they don't want to play the game any more.

That kind of quitting attitude gives me little faith in the ambition and courage of those who would be "independent"... With the same Royal Family, using the British pound, sharing defence needs etc etc.********

Unfortunately for Salmond, he's had no credible political opposition in the UK for several years. As a result,he's got far too full of himself and made himself very hard to like, and for the "floating" voters, very difficult to vote for.

*****FORTUNATELY for Salmond he's had no credible opposition in SCOTLAND for several years cos most political Scots wanted (and succeeded) to be on a bigger stage. He was left with an open field.

Salmond has done a brilliant job as a one-trick pony cos (mixing my metaphors) he was the only big beast in the Scottish Forest. He could keep harping on about the Scottish question whilst the lesser lights of the other parties tried to keep up with him.

I can't help but genuinely admire him. He knew what he wanted and had no distractions. A great, wonderful, political animal. The fact that I think Nationalism is a philosophy that losers naturally turn to, (no personal offence intended... tongue.png) makes me despise him, personally. ****

You need to learn to quote properly in order for people to understand you.

Just trying to be helpful.

Bluto... that has been my Mantra since day one.

Locally, the SNP politicians are among the few I respect and have time for... they care and I would vote for them without a moments hesitation at a local level... but I cannot agree with their national politics.

I asked my local SNP MSP (who I have all the time in the world for) what the benefits of independence would be.

After listening, I told her that if me being better off as a result of independence meant that some poor pensioner in Hull or Wigan suffered as a result... if some poor family in Leeds or Newcastle were worse off to make me wealthier... then I could not support that.

I asked for a reason to support independence other than increased personal wealth. The only thing I got was "we would be able to make our own decisions"!

Sorry... but increased devolution would give exactly that, would it not?

No of course it wouldn't.

It wouldn't stop us going to more illegal wars.

It wouldn't allow us to remove nuclear weapons from our shores.

It wouldn't allow us to develop our own embassies abroad to develop business opportunities specifically for Scotland.

It wouldn't allow us to negotiate specifically for our own fishing fleets in Brussels.

I think that's enough problems to be getting on with.

And even if it did, further devolution is not on offer.

It's independence or nothing and it's vital that people understand this.

There are absolutely no other alternatives.

Edited by oaksoft

The future for renewables is subsea which will remove all of these objections. Wind turbines are part of that technology’s development and, when they're no longer needed, will be easily removed and the landscape returned to an "unspoiled" condition for minimal cost (I say "unspoiled" because I actually quite like them and I know as many people who hold this view as there are who object), especially when compared to nuclear decommissioning

Nuclear decommissioning is the elephant in the room for both sides of the argument and they both ignore it. The amount of money it's costing is staggering. Sellafield is £1.6bn per annum on its own; add in Magnox, Dounreay and RSRL and the total makes Trident & HS2 look insignificant. And both sides have adopted a “stick fingers in ears, hum ‘la-la-la’ and hope it goes away” approach.

ps - what he said contradicts what you said - too much Tramadol last night?

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

A government elected or a government rejected? (the tories) For this reason, a'd currently vote yes. Too good an opportunity tae miss imo.

Hate this idea that we're voting for Salmond. We're no, it's a vote for independence. The guys a bit of a tadger, but he's a f*cking good politician.

You need to learn to quote properly in order for people to understand you.

Just trying to be helpful.

I appreciate the kind thought.

Difficult to achieve the effect desired with a bloody iPad.

But if that small quibble prevents understanding for some, then they wouldn't follow the reasoning anyway.

I have been living in England for 10 years now and I feel I cannot really speak about a Scottish Referendum with any authority, so it grinds my gears mad.gif when other oafs who have lived in England longer than me speak about political issues north of the border, you know free palestine and spunk bubble nonsense like this, some fùcking loudmouth tubes will never change.

Go on and get me barred again ya fùcking old grammarian shirtlifter mad.gif

It's too soon to judge, renewables are still in the development phase. And at least they won't cost the billions to decommission that nuclear currently does.

Yep. Despite what Dickson and Faraway think, renewable is the only sustainable option for the future.

That will include wind, solar, geothermal and others.

Because they are infant technologies compared to oil, gas and coal it's inevitable there will be a cost problem in the short term but there is no alternative. The gas and oil and coal will run out. We owe it to future generations to start the ball rolling on renewables now.

Of course we could listen to Dickson and wait until someone else makes these things for pennies but then we'd need to pay them to licence the technology losing out in the long term in both high technology jobs, research work etc.

In Dicky world we would become dependent on others just like we have been for about 300 years.

Yes I'm seeing a pattern develop here.

Same as you, made it up. 1eye.gif

Seriously, you think wind power will be a major player?

Well I'm in a better position than you because I understand what the fundamental problem with them is.

The problem is one of storage not whether the wind blows.

They already generate enough electricity but we don't have suitable storage yet.

I still think that extra storage will end up being used to convert CO2 back into fuels again thus solving two problems at a stroke.

I know research is underway into this.