The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scotland’s referendum on 18 September 2014 is a choice between two futures.

If we vote Yes, we take the next step on Scotland’s journey. We will move forward with confidence, ready to make the most of the many opportunities that lie ahead. The most important decisions about our economy and society will be taken by the people who care most about Scotland, that is by the people of Scotland. The door will open to a new era for our nation.

Scotland’s future will be in Scotland’s hands.

If we vote No, Scotland stands still. A once in a generation opportunity to follow a different path, and choose a new and better direction for our nation, is lost. Decisions about Scotland would remain in the hands of others.

We, the people who live here, have the greatest stake in making Scotland a success. With independence we can make Scotland the fairer and more successful country we all know it should be. We can make Scotland’s vast wealth and resources work much better for everyone in our country, creating a society that reflects our hopes and ambition. Being independent means we will have a government that we choose – a government that always puts the people of Scotland first.

This is what being independent can deliver for Scotland and it is why the Scottish Government believes the people of Scotland, individually and collectively, will be better off with independence.

See...Scotland's Future - Your Guide to an Independent Scotland. This is the opening statement from the White Paper, just for those who choose to snipe but offer no alternatives.

Independence will not be a panacea of milk and honey. There will be difficult choices all along the way. The question in hand is how to make Scotland a better place. There would be no referendum if Scotland was already fulfilling it's potential within the current political framework. Stop burying your heads in the sand and offer the Scottish population your vision of a modern society to take us forward and not keep us stagnated.

Where is the Plan B for the No campaign? Is it all conjecture and hollow words of more autonomy, but only to be discussed after a No vote?

Roughly a third want the status quo, a third want Devo Max and a third want independence...surely the way to keep the Union is to keep one stabiliser on the bike rather than gambling that all of this will suddenly disappear post the referendum...

But who am I to disagree with such talented politicians...

Guest TPAFKATS

Independence will not be a panacea of milk and honey. There will be difficult choices all along the way. The question in hand is how to make Scotland a better place. There would be no referendum if Scotland was already fulfilling it's potential within the current political framework. Stop burying your heads in the sand and offer the Scottish population your vision of a modern society to take us forward and not keep us stagnated

Very eloquently put, sir.

Edited by TPAFKATS

Guest TPAFKATS

For the last couple of years, more or less, the better togetherers have been telling us that our oil was running out and we were too wee, too poor and too stupid to own it.

Today Cameron turns up in Aberdeen to tell us that there's loads of money left in the north Sea and he will look after it for us. Obviously we are lucky to have Westminster looking after our oil money for us as they have done such a good job over the last 40 years.

Just as well we weren't allowed to take care of it ourselves, like wee diddy country Norway where oil is actually a higher % of the economy than in Scotland...

Guest TPAFKATS

Clegg was posh -Westminster school, 30 grand a year... Or is that per term? - but not posh enough.

I assume you noticed Cameron but were too shy to say....?

Back row, second from left.

Genuinely didn't recognise him. Was too shy a reference to 80s music? Edit - Is that also letwin left X2 from cameron? Edited by TPAFKATS

See...Scotland's Future - Your Guide to an Independent Scotland. This is the opening statement from the White Paper, just for those who choose to snipe but offer no alternatives.

Independence will not be a panacea of milk and honey. There will be difficult choices all along the way. The question in hand is how to make Scotland a better place. There would be no referendum if Scotland was already fulfilling it's potential within the current political framework. Stop burying your heads in the sand and offer the Scottish population your vision of a modern society to take us forward and not keep us stagnated.

Where is the Plan B for the No campaign? Is it all conjecture and hollow words of more autonomy, but only to be discussed after a No vote?

Roughly a third want the status quo, a third want Devo Max and a third want independence...surely the way to keep the Union is to keep one stabiliser on the bike rather than gambling that all of this will suddenly disappear post the referendum...

But who am I to disagree with such talented politicians...

Part of the reason I couldn't be a politician is that although my football persuasion is black and white, complete transparency relies on working with shades for grey. Fiona Hyslop's non engagement on the SNPs position if there is a No wasn't the best viewing. Whilst it is implicit to me that the SNP will continue to advocate ongoing devolution, what is wrong in saying that?

Anyway politician speak.

I thought the debate was reasonable and glad to hear that my point was made to Anabelle Goldie. Apparently all 3 major unionist parties are working on individual views for further devolution in the event of a No vote, who knew? They will make interesting reading.

A parcel of rogues indeed!

It seems Michael Kelly's vision of a united Ireland does not extend to Scotland!

Ttime after time I have heard people say "I don't like/trust Salmond", etc...etc...So, by that reckoning - they like and trust Cameron and his cohorts?

A picture (or few) can say more than a thousand words

post-3557-0-56016700-1393292203_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-51008200-1393292350_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-51669200-1393292547_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-96717200-1393292651_thumb.jp

post-3557-0-03499200-1393292784_thumb.jp

Edited by Vambo57

On a lighter note...

TENS OF THOUSANDS OF SCOTS PLANS, ARE DASHED IN THE EVENT OF A NO VOTE!

We're comin, We're comin, We're comin down the road.

To live in David Bowie's hoose, we're comin down the road!

post-3557-0-34494900-1393293747_thumb.jp

Edited by Vambo57

This is just getting plain boring for most of us I would suggest apart from a small handful of people who won't leave it alone. Almost another seven months of it? Even 'don't knows' are getting abuse at times. You say black, I'll say white. Freddie Mercury wrote a song about it. The next seven weeks could decide St,Mirren's fate for maybe years to come and I'd rather hear more about that. But carry on lads. Your country needs you.

This is just getting plain boring for most of us I would suggest apart from a small handful of people who won't leave it alone. Almost another seven months of it? Even 'don't knows' are getting abuse at times. You say black, I'll say white. Freddie Mercury wrote a song about it. The next seven weeks could decide St,Mirren's fate for maybe years to come and I'd rather hear more about that. But carry on lads. Your country needs you.

Whoever is in charge of filling in Scotland's road craters will make me happy.

Edited by shull

Where is the Plan B for the No campaign?

What is a Plan B needed for?

I am voting against independence as I want things to stay as they are! I don't require a plan B.

Indeed, if there were to be a plan B, my favoured option would be to get rid of the devolved parliament. A complete and utter waste of my hard earned tax!

What is a Plan B needed for?

I am voting against independence as I want things to stay as they are! I don't require a plan B.

Indeed, if there were to be a plan B, my favoured option would be to get rid of the devolved parliament. A complete and utter waste of my hard earned tax!

Yes that's true ,when ever it appears on tv there looks as if there are about 10 people in attendance .

Yes that's true ,when ever it appears on tv there looks as if there are about 10 people in attendance .

We already elect MPs to Westminster. Why did we need another level of MPs and a building, infrastructure, etc to go with it?

Why don't we get rid of it and if there is anything purely Scottish to decide upon then let the Scottish MPs at Westminster get on with it!

The independence argument is a joke as well. I remember a couple of decades ago when the SNP were arguing that we needed independence because interest rates were used by the Bank of England to cool rising house prices in the South of England. Now we are being told that they want to keep the pound?

If they can change their minds about something so fundamental in the relatively short space of 20 years then it really isn't a good idea! :lol:

Did you read the article on Salmond from when he was at school ,he stood in a mock election for the SNP and he promised that if he won he would replace the milk the pupils got with ice cream .He won and they didn't get their ice cream ,can you see the pattern about too repeat itself if by any chance the YES vote wins.

Balderdash.

That's his opinion. He has decided. As other people can do - all on their own.

He needs no NO campaign to publicise it.

Most Scots need no campaign and concomitant waste of money, time and energy to sustain that point of view.

It's up to the Yes people to try to change minds if they want to change the status quo.

Good luck with that, if you're their spokesperson. :rolleyes:

Balderdash.

That's his opinion. He has decided. As other people can do - all on their own.

He needs no NO campaign to publicise it.

Most Scots need no campaign and concomitant waste of money, time and energy to sustain that point of view.

It's up to the Yes people to try to change minds if they want to change the status quo.

Good luck with that, if you're their spokesperson. rolleyes.gif

Well exactly.

I can't get my head around the pro independence lobby at all. They say they want independence and when we get a straight forward yes or no question on it they start to demand that the no campaign offer Devo Max as a consolation prize. There's no need at all. Despite recent polls support for independence has never really been steady at anything other that 33% - support for remaining in the Union has always been steady at around 66%. Why would a consolation prize be offered to the losers?

It was interesting watching Welsh Assembly members on all sides saying on Politics Today saying that there is absolutely no desire for Independence from the UK in Wales and them saying that although they believed Devolution was a success the big failing was that the Scottish, Northern Ireland and Welsh Assemblies had no formal contact to discuss what policies had been implemented that worked, and what had failed, meaning that many of the devolved parliaments were duplicating work that was doomed to failure.