The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No they don't Oaksoft. In 1979 the electorate was not forced to vote either. Scots either voted or didn't vote by their own free will. However despite that at no point has the SNP or Alex Salmond managed to get more votes than the supposed most despised woman in Scottish history. This is the woman who headed up the government that Alex Salmond claimed Scots didn't want. It's damming Oaksoft.

If you want to talk about percentage of population rather than percentage of those who bothered to vote then you're wasting my time.

If you want to talk about percentage of population rather than percentage of those who bothered to vote then you're wasting my time.

I don't really. I'm perfectly happy talking about the ACTUAL number of votes. Salmond and the SNP have NEVER had as many Scots vote for them as voted for Margaret Thatcher.

There's no point in even trying to debate with the troll he just makes it all up, especially the numbers.

All of the voting figures quoted as sourced from a wiki page which references the Electoral Commission. You can stock your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" all you want but the FACT remains Thatcher was voted for by more Scots than Salmond or the SNP have ever managed to get. The constant refrain of trying to demonize Thatcher is pathetic especially since Salmond is the one lying

What? You mean in the same way we aren't voting for David Cameron or the Conservatives? I wonder what you're next two posts were about then rolleyes.gif

The way the No campaign is being run, perhaps? Too hard for you?

you're wasting my time.

I agree with oaky.........

All of the voting figures quoted as sourced from a wiki page which references the Electoral Commission. You can stock your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" all you want but the FACT remains Thatcher was voted for by more Scots than Salmond or the SNP have ever managed to get. The constant refrain of trying to demonize Thatcher is pathetic especially since Salmond is the one lying

I accept that Thatcher's party polled more votes during her "reign"(remember the regal "we"?) than the SNP has ever done in a general election. Things have changed since Thatcher's time and I think you will admit that the Conservative vote in Scotland no longer exceeds the SNP vote. Thatcher is history.

I repeat again that the vote in September is not for a political party but for an ideal. The evidence is that people of all parties and none will be voting Yes.

If you don't want to listen, you could stock(quote) your fingers in your ears.

Jeezus, does anyone actually believe this shite?

As was pointed out on WoS, as EU citizens we'd actually be covered by the "British" embassy. Assuming rUK hasn't left the EU of course, in which case we'd have to go to one of the many other EU embassies.

http://ec.europa.eu/consularprotection/index.action

Any second now......here it comes.....ah, there it is.

"But I've already proven that Scotland won't be in the EU......"

Another interesting read:

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/05/the-acanchi-effect/

Wonder when we'll see this on the Beeb (don't hold your breath).

Interesting in what way exactly? I didn't even see the initial news article and I wasn't aware of the "movement" but what gets me about stuff like this is that if that Nationalists spent less time trying to smear and discredit every person or organisation that speaks out against it, and instead worked on coming up with proof that independence their way is financially viable, perhaps they would be getting themselves some extra support.

I don't think anything could make me vote Yes, but I have to say that if only the Natsi's had the foresight to have put Jim Sillars up as their front man rather than Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon the whole referendum campaign would have been a whole load more interesting, and probably much closer too. The difference is that Sillars isn't scared of an uncomfortable truth. He'll admit shortcomings where they exist and he'll acknowledge his opponents strengths, with a brand of honest that makes him way more credible than the two SNP muppets they keep firing up. Actually come to think of it where is Nicola these days? Has she been benched. It's not that long ago we couldn't get her and her motormouth off the telly. The only recent news item that proves she's still alive is her making claims that UKIP are the party that might stop the SNP doing well in the European Elections.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-yes-vote-at-8-month-low-1-3414582

I should be excited by this but I'm not. It's just more proof that I'm right. Support for independence hasn't moved from 1 in 3 since forever and any polls suggesting different are simply on the extremes of their margin of error.

This is a very long thread, too long to read.

Can anybody summarise ?

Some folk are gagging for it. Some folk are gagging at the thought of it. A lot of folk don't even want to think about it but there's still four whole f**king months to go. On the night there will be a big shitometer swinging about to help the confused. Hope this helps.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/labour-mep-independence-no-barrier-to-eu-membership.24250593

A Better Together spokesman said: "Nobody is arguing that we wouldn't get into the EU if we left the UK. What nobody can know is how long that process of re-admission would take and what conditions would be attached."

These sentiments may not have been expressed in such words, but the scaremongers have certainly tried to paint the bleakest picture possible of our prospects of being granted entry to the EU.

I wonder if we'll ever hear from Mr.Martin again, as no doubt the No campaign will no doubt have him locked away for daring to add some truthful statements to the debate.

Interesting in what way exactly? I didn't even see the initial news article and I wasn't aware of the "movement" but what gets me about stuff like this is that if that Nationalists spent less time trying to smear and discredit every person or organisation that speaks out against it, and instead worked on coming up with proof that independence their way is financially viable, perhaps they would be getting themselves some extra support.

I don't think anything could make me vote Yes, but I have to say that if only the Natsi's had the foresight to have put Jim Sillars up as their front man rather than Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon the whole referendum campaign would have been a whole load more interesting, and probably much closer too. The difference is that Sillars isn't scared of an uncomfortable truth. He'll admit shortcomings where they exist and he'll acknowledge his opponents strengths, with a brand of honest that makes him way more credible than the two SNP muppets they keep firing up. Actually come to think of it where is Nicola these days? Has she been benched. It's not that long ago we couldn't get her and her motormouth off the telly. The only recent news item that proves she's still alive is her making claims that UKIP are the party that might stop the SNP doing well in the European Elections.

Both sides are as guilty as each other for this. The entire NO campaign seems to be based on personal attacks on Alex Salmond and trying to discredit everything that YES voters want by saying it is impossible when it quite clearly isn't (your big favourites of currency and EU membership included). Unfortunately this is politics and it is unlikely to ever change. From what I've seen, the NO campaign do seem to be using dodgier tactics and propaganda to sway/fool voters which is a shame.

Whether you read or agree with the White Paper, it has been produced and is available to try to provide some answers to what the vision of the YES vote is about. I would love to see a similar paper produced by the current government of what would happen after a NO vote. I've seen a lot of quotes recently about "best of both worlds" and "guarantee of more powers in Scotland" which are completely empty statements.

Your arguments work as well for you as they do against you. I would bet that, hypothetically, if you really tried, you could probably debate a real strong case for independence if you wanted to.

Some folk are gagging for it. Some folk are gagging at the thought of it. A lot of folk don't even want to think about it but there's still four whole f**king months to go. On the night there will be a big shitometer swinging about to help the confused. Hope this helps.

Aye, thanks Rick.

Where do i put my x ?

Edited by shull

Guest TPAFKATS

i don't know. It's on a need-to-know basis and Wee Eck is feart Scotsman will sneak back home and vote illegally. Don't need to.

Dear oh dear...

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-yes-vote-at-8-month-low-1-3414582

I should be excited by this but I'm not. It's just more proof that I'm right. Support for independence hasn't moved from 1 in 3 since forever and any polls suggesting different are simply on the extremes of their margin of error.

Yet more great news for our union.

The nationalists just can't get any momentum going, and the reason for that is simply there is no case for independence.

Can't wait for September so we can vote no and put this behind us once and for all.

Yet more great news for our union.

The nationalists just can't get any momentum going, and the reason for that is simply there is no case for independence.

Can't wait for September so we can vote no and put this behind us once and for all.

Regardless of what side you support I think we can all agree that unless we get a Yes vote this will NEVER be put behind us once and for all.

If there's a No vote we'll all be back in 10 years time for another go.

Only a Yes vote can give us certainty on that score. Ironic really.

Guest TPAFKATS

Lighten up. What is it with politically motivated people that their sense of humour goes out the window? Zealotry seems to be all consuming.

Oh, it was a joke...

Gonnae signpost the next one.

Politically motivated people- is that another attempt at humour?