The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest TPAFKATS

You can take a balance transfer credit card at 0% interest for 24 or 27 months (fee of 2.5%) and transfer the money into a current account paying 3%. Works out cheaper than taking out a loan at 6% minimum.

Thanks for that. That's a good link. It does prove the point that the Yes Campaign hasn't made much ground at all. It's also interesting to see that the "headline grabbing" polls that show the Yes Campaign as "neck and neck" seem to have been conducted for the SNP, Yes Scotland or for Wings Over Scotland.

You're welcome.

In 2013 there was 28 polls published (according to the link) the following average (mean) for each as follows:

No 47%, Yes 31% Undecided 18% the Average Lead to No = 15%

As to whether or not the gap is closing, according to the link there has been 20 polls published in 2014 the average (mean) for each is, brackets shows comparison to 2013 average:

No 44%,( -3%)Yes 35%(+4%) Undecided 16%(-2%), the Average Lead to No = 9% . The gap is narrowing by this measure, across the 2014/2014 period, albeit to your credit the No position has changed little (-3%).

Where I would agree with you, is that on balance of probabilities the difference is not being overturned between the respective Yes and No positions with sufficient pace to make a Yes outcome likely.

FWIW, I've still not made up my mind but I will vote.

NS is to make a statement on saving Prestwick Airport today. This is the one serious chink in the SNP "yes" armour imo. Throwing taxpayers money at a dead duck to save face before the vote is a huge mistake.

Three of the biggest employers in Ayrshire are reliant on the Airport remaining open so it was a no brainer money was going to be pumped in to save it (and South Ayrshire is a key SNP / Tory battleground). £7m is the figure quoted today. It's no different to the efforts anywhere else in the country when there is a prospect of large scale job loss. The airport itself isn't that important as a commercial enterprise but the facility for aircraft to land and take off is essential to the large aero industry built up around the airport. Bar freight only Ryanair use it although it is very handy from that point of view.

Meanwhile, a conservative think-tank has concluded that the greed and lack of control in the south east is liable to damage the economy of the other more sustainable parts of the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-27902587

Well yesterdays news on falling inflation should put a lot of minds at rest and take some of the pressure off an interest rate increase.

I'm not sure what point you are making though. The Yes Campaign has made a point of saying we will not have our own currency and therefore regardless of whether we vote Yes or No we would still be in the same position regarding Bank Of England Interest Rate rises.

Three of the biggest employers in Ayrshire are reliant on the Airport remaining open so it was a no brainer money was going to be pumped in to save it (and South Ayrshire is a key SNP / Tory battleground). £7m is the figure quoted today. It's no different to the efforts anywhere else in the country when there is a prospect of large scale job loss. The airport itself isn't that important as a commercial enterprise but the facility for aircraft to land and take off is essential to the large aero industry built up around the airport. Bar freight only Ryanair use it although it is very handy from that point of view.

£9.7m worth of losses in 2013, up from £2.3m losses the year before? The Scottish Government bought it for £1 and Sturgeon revealed today that the Scottish taxpayer has since paid in £5.5m with a further £3m to come for operating support, then a further £4.5m for repairs, and £2.4m to refurbish the airport including a complete refurbishment of the duty free area.

She then went on to say - rather bizarrely - that Prestwick isn't like other airports in that it makes very little money from passenger operations and most of it's business is freight. So why the f**k are we pouring in £2.4m to upgrade the duty free area?

Prestwick was a favourite airport of mine when I was a kid. It was where the large planes landed and I saw my Uncle off to Canada from there many times - sitting out on the balcony watching the planes come and go. But it's f**ked now. It's too far away from the main cities in Scotland, and it's too much hassle for the majority of Scots to get to. Glasgow and Edinburgh are dominant and even people from Ayrshire prefer to fly from Glasgow. To me this is just another vanity project that looks like a money pit. The M77 means that freight transport could just as easily be taken to Glasgow.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

£9.7m worth of losses in 2013, up from £2.3m losses the year before? The Scottish Government bought it for £1 and Sturgeon revealed today that the Scottish taxpayer has since paid in £5.5m with a further £3m to come for operating support, then a further £4.5m for repairs, and £2.4m to refurbish the airport including a complete refurbishment of the duty free area.

She then went on to say - rather bizarrely - that Prestwick isn't like other airports in that it makes very little money from passenger operations and most of it's business is freight. So why the f**k are we pouring in £2.4m to upgrade the duty free area?

Prestwick was a favourite airport of mine when I was a kid. It was where the large planes landed and I saw my Uncle off to Canada from there many times - sitting out on the balcony watching the planes come and go. But it's f**ked now. It's too far away from the main cities in Scotland, and it's too much hassle for the majority of Scots to get to. Glasgow and Edinburgh are dominant and even people from Ayrshire prefer to fly from Glasgow. To me this is just another vanity project that looks like a money pit. The M77 means that freight transport could just as easily be taken to Glasgow.

Glasgow doesn't have the capacity to handle freight!

Plus - you have to look, not 2/5/8 years to the future. Flights are not just for your annual fortnight in magaluf, or your stag / hen weekend!

The demand for air travel continues to grow decade by decade. In 30 years Gla/EDI will be totally full & another major airport in the central belt will have to pick up the swell!

Think about the B&W pics of Glasgow in the 60s / 70s

Glasgow doesn't have the capacity to handle freight!

Plus - you have to look, not 2/5/8 years to the future. Flights are not just for your annual fortnight in magaluf, or your stag / hen weekend!

The demand for air travel continues to grow decade by decade. In 30 years Gla/EDI will be totally full & another major airport in the central belt will have to pick up the swell!

Think about the B&W pics of Glasgow in the 60s / 70s

Different times Paisley Panda. We weren't all connected by the internet in the 60's and 70's and railway travel was nowhere near as fast as it is today. You also didn't have to turn up to the airport 2 hours before your flight back then to get through security.

However even if there was a need for another major airport in the central belt, wouldn't it make more sense to locate it in the centre between Glasgow and Edinburgh close to all the major motorway and rail links than having it out at the bastard side of the country?

Different times Paisley Panda. We weren't all connected by the internet in the 60's and 70's and railway travel was nowhere near as fast as it is today. You also didn't have to turn up to the airport 2 hours before your flight back then to get through security.

However even if there was a need for another major airport in the central belt, wouldn't it make more sense to locate it in the centre between Glasgow and Edinburgh close to all the major motorway and rail links than having it out at the bastard side of the country?

Can you get a suntan on Yahoo?

Can you get a train to Majorca / Tenerife? - Not everyone wants to go to Heathrow / London!

Air travel is now far more affordable than it was even 10 years ago, not, to mention that the population is growing and will have grown a LOT more in 20 / 30 years from now.

Stop the shallow short-sightedness, but, then, that's what YOU are good at!

Prestwick is a strange one. Prestwick the airfield may have a future, Prestwick the airport probably doesn't.

It's maintenance, cargo and other aviation businesses are the value arm of the business. It's passenger arm for a few Ryanair flights every 3 hours a day probably isn't. To invest sums of money to improve the passenger side seems a strange call- any airlines it attracts are flights that could easily be served via Glasgow. I suspect the government will eventually admit defeat and mothball the passenger side, but have to be seen politically to give it a go.

The central belt has Glasgow and Edinburgh and both are better located to serve the majority of Scotland's population- people talk about Prestwick being fog-free and having rail links but these are side issues. Airlines have voted with their feet and whilst both Glasgow and Edinburgh are doing well Prestwick is racking up losses.

Glasgow has plenty of additional capacity to cope and there are plans for an additional runway if needed 20+ years time. But who knows what technological advancements and things will happen between then and now. It's the same as Heathrow needing a 3rd runway- people point to other London airports but the airlines and the market wants Heathrow, hence why American Airlines just paid $30million for 1 landing and take-off slot!

The idea of a hub airport in the centre of Scotland is often talked about, but doubt it is practical for a number of reasons. Edinburgh and Glasgow are both far enough away to serve their own markets and close enough that most people can get to both within 60mins.

You can take a balance transfer credit card at 0% interest for 24 or 27 months (fee of 2.5%) and transfer the money into a current account paying 3%. Works out cheaper than taking out a loan at 6% minimum.

Is there an account paying 3% interest at the moment?

BTW you forgot about the tax. 3% would be gross.

Net you'd lose money even at the lower tax rate.

Yes but Glasgow could take Ryanair away with a click of their fingers. There have been ongoing discussions between the airline and Glasgow, with the latest rumour that Ryanair will initially only switch their Dublin service in October as they've lost a huge chunk of the business to Aer Lingus !

Guest TPAFKATS

Yes, you can get 3% as far as I am aware. You can also get 33 months zero interest on cards. There's also isas and other interest free ways of saving. It's a bit off topic, the point I was making was simply that there is a bit more to borrowing, saving and economics. I thought this may be of interest to those who could do with having their thoughts provoked.

Guest TPAFKATS

Mibees the SNP are playing the long game, realising that after independence, once they abolish Air Passenger Duty, demand will rise and Prestwicks capacity will be required...

There has been debate for years about closing Prestwick . However , I think the only part that was ever likely to close would be the passenger terminal . Apart from the aero industry at Prestwick , there is still a lot of freight movement . I was once told that Prestwick was second only to Heathrow for freight movements. .

However , the airport has been badly managed for many years . The Flying College at Prestwick was driven away , mostly , by the fact that they raised the landing charges for their aircraft from around £6 to £27 per landing . This was done primarily to get the Collage to leave so that the airways could be opened up for more passenger flights , which never really transpired. .

Yes, you can get 3% as far as I am aware. You can also get 33 months zero interest on cards. There's also isas and other interest free ways of saving. It's a bit off topic, the point I was making was simply that there is a bit more to borrowing, saving and economics. I thought this may be of interest to those who could do with having their thoughts provoked.

You can get 3% per annum gross on balances over £3000 at Santander, but there is a monthly fee of £2 and the interest rates fall away sharply when your balance drops below £3000. You also need to pay in a minimum £500 per month to meet the terms and conditions of the account.

You are preaching to the converted though. The UK Treasury did something similar, on a much larger scale obviously, when we used our better credit rating to borrow money cheaply which we then lent to Ireland.

To bring this back on topic though, than isn't what John Swinney was proposing we do. He simply wanted to borrow 3% more each year to spend. And doing so whilst trying to have an oil fund would be silly in the extreme.

Fair enough I didn't know that.

Well that's both of us given perfectly good reasons for saving instead of paying back a debt in its entirety.

What's the chances of him acknowledging that even one of us has a reasonable point?

Mibees the SNP are playing the long game, realising that after independence, once they abolish Air Passenger Duty, demand will rise and Prestwicks capacity will be required...

No passenger airlines will touch Prestwick though , unless ,like Ryanair , they are given unfair enticements eg free use of Terminal facilities !

Prestwick is an unnecessary burden on every Scots taxpayer , it wouldn't be missed if it closed tomorrow !

Well yesterdays news on falling inflation should put a lot of minds at rest and take some of the pressure off an interest rate increase.

I'm not sure what point you are making though. The Yes Campaign has made a point of saying we will not have our own currency and therefore regardless of whether we vote Yes or No we would still be in the same position regarding Bank Of England Interest Rate rises.

We both know (well i do, you possibly know hee-haw) in a currency or other monetary union that once agreed all parties ave to act in the interests of the greater good and not slavishly commit the bulk of resources to one area of a broken economy

Edited by beyond our ken

We both know (well i do, you possibly know hee-haw) that in a currency or other monetary union that once agreed all parties ave to act in the interests of the greater good and not slavishly commit the bulk of resources to one area of a broken economy

Have you not been following the news? All the Westminster parties have said there will bee no currency union. :rolleyes:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27905726

Edited by Stuart Dickson

TSB current account pays 5% on balances up to £2,000. Using your spouse that means £4,000 at 4% net. You only need to pay in £500 per month (and you can then immediately switch it back out).

The balance transfer fee is a one off of, say 2.5% for a 2 year period compared with over 8% net interest.

In addition I have a BoS & Halifax reward account thats pays £5 per month each plus one for my wife which equates to £180 plus I have a Nationwide account paying 5% gros on a balance of £2,500 for a year (which will then be switched to anotehr bank with a similar introductory offer).

There are a few hundred pounts to be made each year just for a few minutes of recycling cash between accounts each month - all using money borrowed from credit card companies.

Have you not been following the news? All the Westminster parties have said there will bee no currency union. rolleyes.gif

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27905726

Disappearing up your own arse is becoming your tour de force-you were the one that raised the hypothesis on the Yes campaigns hopes for currency and fiscal union, only to rubbish the notion when someone else picks up the thread

Go back to you fictitious dinner parties and inflatable girl-friend

TSB current account pays 5% on balances up to £2,000. Using your spouse that means £4,000 at 4% net. You only need to pay in £500 per month (and you can then immediately switch it back out).

4% of £4k is only £160 per year.

Hardly worth the effort TBH when you consider I can get maybe 1.5% or £60 on the same amount without all that money switching hassle.

For some £100 might be worth chasing though.