The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have you not said previously that Salmond was wrong? Now you must be claiming he was right if you are using his arguments to make your points. Make up your mind, FFS. Now, can you answer the questions I asked you in the post that you quoted? You quoted it twice, so you can't pretend you never saw it.

Have you clicked on those links yet? Or are you just clicking your heels trying to get back to Kansas?

No, I don't believe I ever did say he was wrong - I simply pointed out that Mrs T always had more votes in Scotland than the SNP and that she polled the kind of figures that Alex Salmond would give absolutely anything for. He said she had no mandate in Scotland, so I can't see how the SNP can claim they've got a mandate for a referendum that affects the whole of the UK and which see's them spending large sums of Scottish taxpayers money on tomorrow's toilet paper.

No, I don't believe I ever did say he was wrong - I simply pointed out that Mrs T always had more votes in Scotland than the SNP and that she polled the kind of figures that Alex Salmond would give absolutely anything for. He said she had no mandate in Scotland, so I can't see how the SNP can claim they've got a mandate for a referendum that affects the whole of the UK and which see's them spending large sums of Scottish taxpayers money on tomorrow's toilet paper.

of course the snp are going to spend scottish tax payers money....on Scotland.....FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats why we are voting

of course the snp are going to spend scottish tax payers money....on Scotland.....FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats why we are voting

Are you saying that the £12Bn budget overspend by the SNP wasn't spent....on Scotland? I'd be interested to hear where you think it was spent. I know Alex Salmonds American hotel bill was pretty huge for the last Ryder Cup but even I didn't think it would come to £12Bn. He is a fat c**t though so I suppose he could have spent that on room service :rolleyes:

Do you think a campaign brochure that will be immediately put in the bin by most of the recipients is a priority need for a Scotland who's NHS is failing and falling apart, or whose education system is in terminal decline?

It's wasted expenditure like this that makes me long for much, much less government in the UK and for far fewer of these politicians troughing it at Hollyrood.

Guest TPAFKATS

bbc Scotland bigging up armed forces day with pictures that unfortunately for them show nowhere near 30,000 in attendance. Crowd more like a buddies home game, against a team with no travelling support ;)

Bear in mind that it was free entry as arranged by better together and Stirling cooncil (labour/tory coalition)

bbc Scotland bigging up armed forces day with pictures that unfortunately for them show nowhere near 30,000 in attendance. Crowd more like a buddies home game, against a team with no travelling support ;)

Bear in mind that it was free entry as arranged by better together and Stirling cooncil (labour/tory coalition)

Armed forces day was arranged by better together? Source?

So I take it you will be voting Yes to get rid of the second house then? Good lad.

Edit: Sorry, forgot about Westminster and local government, too. Vote Yes to get rid of two lots of politicians (Elected and Unelected), keeping two (elected) lots. Vote No to keep four (all of the above).

I'd rather vote no and get rid of Hollyrood and Europe. It'd be better to get rid of the two least effectual parliaments in our system

I take it you haven't see the superb You Tube videos of the first day which showed crowds 5 and 6 deep and more lining the streets all the way through Stirling town all the way to the Castle. I've got to say though your attempts here are pretty pathetic. The flop of the year was the Visit Scotland organised pretendy fighting thing over at Bannockburn. Huge losses made there for the taxpayer. Lets face it, it's not hard to work out. Would you prefer a free event where the Red Arrows are going to be doing their full display, there's going to be Spitfires and Lancaster Bombers doing a fly past, and there's huge parade of heroes many of them playing live music to a high standard. Or would you prefer to pay £20 per ticket to watch some weirdos waving plastic swords at each other.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Are you saying that the £12Bn budget overspend by the SNP wasn't spent....on Scotland? I'd be interested to hear where you think it was spent. I know Alex Salmonds American hotel bill was pretty huge for the last Ryder Cup but even I didn't think it would come to £12Bn. He is a fat c**t though so I suppose he could have spent that on room service rolleyes.gif

Do you think a campaign brochure that will be immediately put in the bin by most of the recipients is a priority need for a Scotland who's NHS is failing and falling apart, or whose education system is in terminal decline?

It's wasted expenditure like this that makes me long for much, much less government in the UK and for far fewer of these politicians troughing it at Hollyrood.

What a lot of shyte you type

Let's clarify things here - are you trying to claim that the Scottish Government spent £12bn over their "allowance"?

Personally I'd like to get rid of Europe too - but that's a discussion for another day - and besides, a No vote doesn't get you that, that's why I wasn't talking about it.

So you'd rather keep the Lords than Holyrood? That actually says a lot about you?

Members of the House of Lords are unpaid and they do a decent job in the main of blocking silly policies from going through. The idea that we could just be put into a situation where the likes of Iain Gray, John Swinney, George Adam, Fergus Ewing and Fiona Hyslop could be solely responsible to passing things into law without having their work checked is truly frightening.

There's also this. http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/scotland/600k-of-our-money-spent-on-art-for-the-house-of-lords-1.410667

That would nearly have paid for that UK Gov pamphlet.

Art is a good investment apparently, certainly better value for the taxpayer than propaganda booklets from the Scottish Government and lavish hotels for the a First Minister on his golf trip to the US

Really? http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/about-lords/lords-allowances/ They don't even have to stay to get the £300 per day (plus expenses), they just have to sign in.

I don't give a shit one way or another but I think you're wrong. They used to get away with just signing in and buggering off but I'm fairly sure it was changed. A guy I know, Barry Ashbourne sits and he told me years ago that it was never as rife as reported. A lot of the guys who got wheeled in to claim attendance were near basket cases. The attendance of MP's has also caused controversy but apparently it's OK for them to do next to eff all because they got voted in.

I don't give a shit one way or another but I think you're wrong. They used to get away with just signing in and buggering off but I'm fairly sure it was changed. A guy I know, Barry Ashbourne sits and he told me years ago that it was never as rife as reported. A lot of the guys who got wheeled in to claim attendance were near basket cases. The attendance of MP's has also caused controversy but apparently it's OK for them to do next to eff all because they got voted in.

Read these.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25411182

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/17/lord-hanningfield-50-peers-clock-in-expenses

Still don't give a shit. Some cheat , some don't. Is it OK for MP's to cheat because they got voted in? I happen to think the Lords serves a purpose but I'd drum out anyone who cheats. If we drummed out MP's who lie and cheat, the Commons would be pretty quiet.

Funny how the BBC is an absolute pariah to the Yes campaign and then suddenly the old BEEB is a paragon of truth and virtue.

This whole referendum has become an utter crashing bore and it's little wonder the number of contributors has fallen away. I'm out now but much as I ignore StuDick in almost everything he posts and have him on ignore, I have enjoyed his unavoidable input to this forum. I have to congratulate him on having several vociferous posters on this thread running round in circles and jumping through hoops. I don't think they have even noticed.

A second chamber may serve a purpose but just because you have a title doesn't automatically make you intelligent enough to have an input on what laws are passed - especially as political parties in power hand out titles just to get placemen in.

I took Dorothy off ignore just for this. 1eye.gif No matter the outcome of the referendum, he will be going back on ignore straight afterwards (if not just before). I actually think that he is doing a grand job for the Yes campaign. thumbup2.gif

I've had him on ignore for ages but as I say, you can't miss it. He must be the most quoted guy on the history of the B&W Army. Not defending him at all but he doesn't have a monopoly on ridiculous claims, clutching at straws and tilting at windmills. The Yes campaign probably needs a lot of help. Que sera. Over and out. Definitely this time.

Guest TPAFKATS

I take it you haven't see the superb You Tube videos of the first day which showed crowds 5 and 6 deep and more lining the streets all the way through Stirling town all the way to the Castle. I've got to say though your attempts here are pretty pathetic. The flop of the year was the Visit Scotland organised pretendy fighting thing over at Bannockburn. Huge losses made there for the taxpayer. Lets face it, it's not hard to work out. Would you prefer a free event where the Red Arrows are going to be doing their full display, there's going to be Spitfires and Lancaster Bombers doing a fly past, and there's huge parade of heroes many of them playing live music to a high standard. Or would you prefer to pay £20 per ticket to watch some weirdos waving plastic swords at each other.

Armed forces DAY was only on in Stirling on Saturday. The clues kinda in the title. The rest of your post is alsobpish full of inaccuracies or stuff you've made up.

Please seek some help about your pathological lying.

Guest TPAFKATS

Armed forces DAY was only on in Stirling on Saturday. The clues kinda in the title. The rest of your post is alsobpish full of inaccuracies or stuff you've made up.

Please seek some help about your pathological lying.

Just meant to add to my last post ever on here, it was Armed Forces Day everywhere in the UK where folks wanted to celebrate it. Plenty over here. Little Scotlanders will maybe one day become less insular.

I find the whole Armed forces day things a bit uncomfortable. The idea of deifying forces, calling them heros and giving unquestioning support. Seems a bit of a transatlantic import.

I don't have anything against the forces, they do a job and take the orders they have to but to be honest, seems like an excuse to ignore the political mess these forces are involved in and the way they are poorly treated by the authorities.

Just meant to add to my last post ever on here, it was Armed Forces Day everywhere in the UK where folks wanted to celebrate it. Plenty over here. Little Scotlanders will maybe one day become less insular.

Towns/cities have to apply for the full bhoona that Stirling got - one English city was peeved it didn't get it this year (Portsmouth, iirc) with their mayor claiming it was a political decision to give it to Stirling over them. Edinburgh hosted it 3 years ago so it seems a wee bit odd that it returns to Scotland so soon. Unless there are other, undisclosed reasons?

I don't have a problem with them doing it, wouldn't expect anything else from politicians, but a bit of honesty might not go amiss.

Guest TPAFKATS

Towns/cities have to apply for the full bhoona that Stirling got - one English city was peeved it didn't get it this year (Portsmouth, iirc) with their mayor claiming it was a political decision to give it to Stirling over them. Edinburgh hosted it 3 years ago so it seems a wee bit odd that it returns to Scotland so soon. Unless there are other, undisclosed reasons?

I don't have a problem with them doing it, wouldn't expect anything else from politicians, but a bit of honesty might not go amiss.

This.

Not insular, just cynical.

I see Cameron is getting flak (pun?) for politicising the event due to the speech he made.

6 or 7 years since Gordy Broon started up Armed Forces Day, the main event still to be held in Norn Irn...

This.

Not insular, just cynical.

I see Cameron is getting flak (pun?) for politicising the event due to the speech he made.

6 or 7 years since Gordy Broon started up Armed Forces Day, the main event still to be held in Norn Irn...

Aye....for fairly obvious reasons I would have thought, especially with marching season about to start. :rolleyes: