The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a yes voter while my wife has not made her mind up. Most of the family which number more than 10 are NO voters.

Me and my two sons are No voters.- 3 No

My eldest sons girlfriends family are all No voters - 4 No

My Sister will vote Yes - 1 Yes

My Mum has stayed diplomatic and claims she doesn't know - 1 Don't Know

In my girlfriends house she and her daughter intend to vote No - 2 No

And her daughters boyfriend who is half Welsh and half English is voting Yes because he's stationed in Edinburgh with the British Army and he believes that if Scotland becomes Independent the British Army will have to pay him extra for being stationed abroad - 1 Yes.

My sons claim that my ex wife and her new boyfriend will vote Yes - 2 Yes.

So that's 9 No - 64.28%

4 Yes - 28.57%

1 Don't know. - 7.14%

Well I'm not voting no for the status quo, and I don't know anyone who is. More power for Holyrood is inevitable in my opinion, and we will have it as a strong nation inside the UK.

I think BT is in the box seat despite the campaign, not because of it. Yes has the better politicians, has been able to set the question and has spent far more money campaigning.

Better Together has dull politicians, had been pretty skint till Miss Rowling stepped in and has been fighting against the negative connotations of the question set by The SNP. Had the referendum question been ' Should Scotland remain as part of the UK? ' the whole campaign dynamic would have been different. Yes is an inherently positive word, no is an inherently negative one.

However, despite all the advantages yes have had, they've not been able to poll 50% anywhere. It's remarkable really.

I wouldn't say that the Yes Campaign has the better politicians, but because of the dynamics they've been able to send out a more united message. The No Campaign has had to contend with the fact that it's support ranges from the extreme right BNP to the extreme left British Communist Party taking in political supporters from everywhere within that wide political spectrum.

One of the interesting dynamics that appears when you look at the opinion polls is that up to the point where the argument started about how much it would cost to set up the new country the Yes Campaign was closing the gap albeit very slowly. Now whether the pollls are reflecting the fact that it's suddenly sunk in to Scots that there is actually going to be a cost whether it's £200m or £1.6Bn, or whether that's reflecting the fact that as the referendum comes closer voters will inherently lurch towards a No vote is anyones guess.

Here's a wee exercise for folk.

Why not ask 10 people you know how they are going to vote and post your percentages here.

Don't ask them leading questions or try to influence them.

Just simply ask 10 folk and let's see whether we get the same results as pollsters are getting.

i play golf with 3 others who all believe that a yes vote would be ludicrous,my son and daughter both believe that giving more power to tcf's would be stupid,of the 12 other members in my team at work 2 are blindly putting faith in an untried untested nonsensical split,the other 10 are being sensible and asking why anyone would want an amateur group of politicians being in charge and all their jobs being lost because we would be in a different country so would no longer be able to work for the DWP -thousands upon thousands of people in scotland rely on the DWP for their jobs and thousands more on their jobs servicing DWP offices and staff, those disillusioned among us who think a yes vote will come to pass are in for a big shock

got to laugh at the name calling that is creeping in yet again. recent news about child molesters being protected by what Tebbit called "the system" and his assertion that "there could well have been a cover-up" (he seems not to be sure even though he was at the top of government) should tell everyone how trustworthy the current system is. if you want to be ruled by a London-based political "elite" that considers itself above the law and which is on a mission to transfer everything you have to the ownership of their cronies then vote for the status quo-because that is what will happen. You will deserve to carry on getting shafted because you are not just accepting it but actively requesting it-you are even passing on the lube.

Someone defined stupidity as constantly repeating the same mistakes, yet expecting a better result. That is a good analogy for staying in the UK

Edited by beyond our ken

Thank you for reminding us that there will be no need for the Department of Work and Pensions.

of course there will be a need, for all of the institutions

work done now will still need doing. scaremongering and bullying might suggest the opposite but there will still be work and there will still be pensions- in fact that is a department that will flourish because of all the pension arrangements that need to be made

got to laugh at the name calling that is creeping in yet again. recent news about child molesters being protected by what Tebbit called "the system" and his assertion that "there could well have been a cover-up" (he seems not to be sure even though he was at the top of government) should tell everyone how trustworthy the current system is. if you want to be ruled by a London-based political "elite" that considers itself above the law and which is on a mission to transfer everything you have to the ownership of their cronies then vote for the status quo-because that is what will happen. You will deserve to carry on getting shafted because you are not just accepting it but actively requesting it-you are even passing on the lube.

Someone defined stupidity as constantly repeating the same mistakes, yet expecting a better result. That is a good analogy for staying in the UK

What a poor, desperate rant :(

What will you do when we vote no?

just go to work and get on with it, secure in the knowledge that i played the debate with a straight bat and didn't succumb to the baiters and bullies

i'll prosper no matter what institution is in place.

You played the debate with a straight bat? You just used child molestation to try score political points.

Have a word with yourself.

Why are there private companies doing sub contract work for the DWP?

I'll give you the answer, It's not fit for its purpose.

Now I'm not saying that everything will be rosy in an independent Scotland, but fed up reading about, if its not broken don't fix it.

Unfortunately, too many people refuse to accept how broken things are just now

Now I'm not saying that everything will be rosy in an independent Scotland, but fed up reading about, if its not broken don't fix it.

Are you arguing that if a private company does sub contract work for a public body then the public body isn't fit for purpose?

Here's a wee exercise for folk.

Why not ask 10 people you know how they are going to vote and post your percentages here.

Don't ask them leading questions or try to influence them.

Just simply ask 10 folk and let's see whether we get the same results as pollsters are getting.

I only know 2 people who are voting yes. I know about 30 folk who have all said they will vote no.

It's not just one pollster though, it's every single pollster, every single bookmaker. Do you genuinely believe all of them are so badly wrong?

One poll had support for the status quo around 20%, I'd agree with that. I'm not voting no for the status quo, I would like to see more devolution and eventually full federalisation of the UK.

I believe that on the no vote winning Scotland will have power taken away from us and what voters in next years uk will get is the status quo. Nothing will change. Over the last twenty or more years the uk hasn't learned. There are too many people holding on to the belief that the Labour Party will over come evil. It won't happen IMO. Millionaire politicians are to used to taking more than they should and giving less back that change is required. The possibility of English voters going more right wing (Ukip) in the future is something I don't want to be dragged into. We have our chance to go a different direction before that can be given a chance to happen to us, go it alone using immigrants old and new and the people we have, young and old to take a leaf out of Denmark, Norway and swedens book and get people motivated through making them interested in life again. There is a market with Denmark, Norway and Sweden to be exploited. Over 10years ago Danish people asked me when Scotland were going to 'come with us' and go it alone. These countries have known for years Scotland can do it ourselves and we have the chance to now. IMO.

why wouldn't private companies do work for the dwp?

Why would it mean it's not fit for purpose?

I work for a private company that sub contracts work to other private companies. Does that mean my company isn't fit for purpose?

I believe that on the no vote winning Scotland will have power taken away from us and what voters in next years uk will get is the status quo. Nothing will change. Over the last twenty or more years the uk hasn't learned. There are too many people holding on to the belief that the Labour Party will over come evil. It won't happen IMO. Millionaire politicians are to used to taking more than they should and giving less back that change is required. The possibility of English voters going more right wing (Ukip) in the future is something I don't want to be dragged into. We have our chance to go a different direction before that can be given a chance to happen to us, go it alone using immigrants old and new and the people we have, young and old to take a leaf out of Denmark, Norway and swedens book and get people motivated through making them interested in life again. There is a market with Denmark, Norway and Sweden to be exploited. Over 10years ago Danish people asked me when Scotland were going to 'come with us' and go it alone. These countries have known for years Scotland can do it ourselves and we have the chance to now. IMO.

what evil?

I vote conservative every time. I don't want labour in power!

There you go mentioning figures again, yet when the UK Government overspend by approx £4Bn/200% on two boats you put the blinkers on.

and when alex salmond spends £54.000 of our money which is unaccounted for and also £1000.00 on a pianist at dinner on his trip to the ryder cup last year and also arranges a conference at a golf club - because he likes golf - he never mentioned that either.

There is absolutely no way that the Scottish Parliament will have it's powers reduced, that's shameless scaremongering with no basis in fact whatsoever.

UKIP will be lucky to win one seat at the next general election. Why do you pick Denmark and Sweden? Why not Ireland? Thats a far more recent and more relevant example of a country going it alone, a country which has got itself in a right state.

No one is saying we couldn't do it alone, of course we could. Why should we though? Why not stay in the union?

well it's because the DWP do not have enough employees to do it themselves and it is much more fit for its purpose than when all you had to do to claim sickness benefit was to persuade your doctor to sign you off, now there is a private company who assess a persons capabilty for work and then a decision maker who collates all evidence and makes a decision

Thank you for reminding us that there will be no need for the Department of Work and Pensions.

100% employment for everyone in the new independent Scotland.

Oh sh1t I've just realized they must have hired all the unemployed to shoot and hang all the pensioners. Must tell ma mammy and daddy to vote yes then emigrate. lol.gif

First it was SNLA threats to blow up Better Together HQ's, now it's Yes supporters threatening to "shoot and hang all the pensioners".

And Cockles claims there's no resemblance between this Yes Campaign and what happened in Nazi Germany :rolleyes:

It is all accounted for. How would you know how much it is if it wasn't all accounted for. 1eye.gif

there are no receipts for the £54k thats why its unaccounted for, there is no doubt it has gone somewhere, accounting means providing proof, not simply saying "yes it was spent on something" receipts for the rest of the reported £500k spend were provided,so the remainder is unaccounted for

Edited by buddiecat

....and this from someone who supports a political "system" that protected Bill Walker for over a decade while he smashed various wives around and then paid him a wage after he was finally convicted and locked up. Or who's Presiding Officer is alleged to have known about Cyril Smith's "misbehaviour" and having ignored it.

There is very little honour amongst Politicians in any country of any hue. Trying to make political capital out of allegations in any house is just silly unless you know for certain the political system you support is 100% clean.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

100% employment for everyone in the new independent Scotland.

Oh sh1t I've just realized they must have hired all the unemployed to shoot and hang all the pensioners. Must tell ma mammy and daddy to vote yes then emigrate. lol.gif

100% employment is that right, so the sick and disabled will all have jobs will they

Guest TPAFKATS

I only know 2 people who are voting yes. I know about 30 folk who have all said they will vote no.

I'm not sure your lodge is the most representative of samples...

and when alex salmond spends £54.000 of our money which is unaccounted for and also £1000.00 on a pianist at dinner on his trip to the ryder cup last year and also arranges a conference at a golf club - because he likes golf - he never mentioned that either.

That's me convinced then!

DOWNING STREET KNOWS BEST!!! rolleyes.gif

article-0-126A9165000005DC-630_468x684.j