The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Yes people are desperately grasping at straws. Another clanger? Doubt it. They have said time and again no pound sharing for perfectly valid reasons.

Sorry , Rick , I don't get the grasping at straws , jibe. Cameron coming up here to talk on the pound can only be a good thing for Yes Scotland. .

As has been said by Ian , the reasons we WILL get the pound have been done to death on here. .

coming from a uk ambassador who was driven about in a limo,then he discovers corruption,was he very naive or just ignoring it when he had his nose in the trough,i would say that most sensible people know that any politician is out to see what he can get,whether he does good things along the way or not,does this guy really think we are stupid enough to believe that he didnt know about corruption, he himself knew he was involved in it due to taking part in the meetings he speaks of,why did he not "tell all" when it was actually happening ?

24 hours since i asked the question, can anyone yet explain how Scotland will deal with the collapse of the financial services in Scotland in the event of a yes vote?

independence will mean seperate regulatory and tax regimes and hence higher costs and risk to customers in the uk

major advisers such as Hargreaves lansdown have already indicated that no more business would go to Scotland and existing business would be pulled out

financial services is 8% of the Scottish economy

independence would wreck our economy overnight

24 hours since i asked the question, can anyone yet explain how Scotland will deal with the collapse of the financial services in Scotland in the event of a yes vote?

independence will mean seperate regulatory and tax regimes and hence higher costs and risk to customers in the uk

major advisers such as Hargreaves lansdown have already indicated that no more business would go to Scotland and existing business would be pulled out

Nobody has responded because nobody believes there will be a collapse of our financial industry.

You are falling foul of BT's hysterical doom mongering.

Edited by oaksoft

coming from a uk ambassador who was driven about in a limo,then he discovers corruption,was he very naive or just ignoring it when he had his nose in the trough,i would say that most sensible people know that any politician is out to see what he can get,whether he does good things along the way or not,does this guy really think we are stupid enough to believe that he didnt know about corruption, he himself knew he was involved in it due to taking part in the meetings he speaks of,why did he not "tell all" when it was actually happening ?

I think you will find he did speak out about this in 2003 and was sacked in 2004 this is taken from wiki..... In 2002 Murray was appointed British ambassador to Uzbekistan at the age of 43 but dismissed in October 2004.[1] In July 2004 he told The Guardian that "there is no point in having cocktail-party relationships with a fascist regime", and that "you don't have to be a pompous old fart to be an ambassador".[10]

In October 2002 Murray made a speech at a human rights conference hosted by Freedom House in Tashkent in which he asserted that "Uzbekistan is not a functioning democracy" and that the boiling to death of two members of Hizb ut-Tahrir "is not an isolated incident".[15] Later, Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan confronted Uzbek President Islam Karimov with Murray's claims.[10]

Murray was summoned to the FCO in London and on 8 March 2003 was reprimanded for writing to his employers, in response to a speech by President of the United States George W. Bush, "when it comes to the Karimov regime, systematic torture and rape appear to be treated as peccadilloes, not to affect the relationship and to be downplayed in the international fora... I hope that once the present crisis is over we will make plain to the US at senior level our serious concern over their policy in Uzbekistan." [16]

Disciplinary charges[edit]

Why would there be a collapse of financial services in scotland, do you honestly beleive that every bank and financial institution would leave scotland?

Has it occurred to you that thwe company you quote maybe scaremongering to tout for more business

I see in todays Herald The Royal Bank Of Scotland signed the letter 'FOR' independence. Get rid of your pampers your a big boy now Andy

There's an old saying, you've probably heard it, "Better late than never".

If there is a Yes vote, the financial institutes will not just walk away. They will wait for the negotiations and they will talk to the politicians, then each one will decide what is best for it. I could have made that more succinct by saying "Stop talking shite" but I couldn't be arsed. biggrin.png

Thing is, they might be forced to walk away if they don't actually have any money in them. The potential for money to leave Scottish financial institutions via customers and business transferring to alternative institutions outside of Scotland is huge.

There is one thing that it seems both sides agree on, if there was to be a Yes vote the uncertainty from a currency and financial perspective post 18th September could be crippling. For an inde Scotland's sake, it would need solved, one way or another, very quickly. How likely that is under highly charged circumstances is anyone's guess.

Both sides don't agree with that at all. What the f**k are you talking about? As Tony insinuated, you're being a bit Chicken Licken here.

I've been trying to decide whether or not you are just an alias trolling. I've decided that you are. bye1.gif

And here we go again. You've no defence so you smear. Why must he be a trolling alias? Is it cause he makes you look like a fanny?

Guest TPAFKATS

So Cameron won't debate with Salmond as it's a decision for Scotland. Once again though Cameron arranges to come to Scotland for a speech and arranged questions - this time telling us basically that bigger is better.

Unfortunately for him the speech by head of CBI was off script, talking of all the uncertainty around the in/out Eu Referendum that Cameron has committed too.

Cameron will also be campaigning for a no vote in Scotland this morning...remember though it's a decision for Scotland and he's no getting involved!

We are not allowed a participatory vote, but we do have opinions.

People ask David for his, so he generously frees up time to proffer it.

As I do, on occasion, in here....

Safe in the knowledge that my opinion is valued by all you lovely Buddies. :rolleyes:

NO supporters on here get slagged for confusing Salmond as the leader of the Indy side, cos he is NOT what the vote is all about.

I fear the Yes men are just as baffled when they suggest Cameron is some sort of titular God of No.

And nor is Mr Darling, they are merely occasional mouthpieces for the folk who believe that this half-hearted blind shuffle towards a non-participatory dependency state is a good idea.

Tony is just desperate, as is the yes campaign. Salmonds interview on Sky News the other day showed him up - yet again - to be light on facts. His cover was to offer sky the chance to televise a debate between him and Cameron. It's poor, poor stuff and the public are seeing through it

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Both sides don't agree with that at all. What the f**k are you talking about? As Tony insinuated, you're being a bit Chicken Licken here.

I've been trying to decide whether or not you are just an alias trolling. I've decided that you are. bye1.gif

Unfailingly disappointed in your responses Slarti, you do your Yes colleagues, many of whom have something constructive to say and do so eloquently, no good at all.

It's all the more disappointing as I had heard from impeccable sources that you are a master debater. Course, I might have misheard.

We are not allowed a participatory vote, but we do have opinions.

People ask David for his, so he generously frees up time to proffer it.

So , are you now a Tory , bluto. .

As I do, on occasion, in here....

Safe in the knowledge that my opinion is valued by all you lovely Buddies. rolleyes.gif

NO supporters on here get slagged for confusing Salmond as the leader of the Indy side, cos he is NOT what the vote is all about.

I fear the Yes men are just as baffled when they suggest Cameron is some sort of titular God of No.

And nor is Mr Darling, they are merely occasional mouthpieces for the folk who believe that this half-hearted blind shuffle towards a non-participatory dependency state is a good idea.