The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest TPAFKATS

Interest rates could rise much sooner and more sharply than that if Scotland votes the wrong way. Splitting the UK would be a game changer for investors

I've highlighted the only important word in the post wink.png

share prices in downfall,the much vaunted pound that people want to keep in an independent land also in downfall, all because polls show that there is a majority who will now vote yes,i thought there would be financial problems for scotland if yes won,did not expect them to start before then,but they have and this should be a warning to those who have savings,mortgages,loans to pay and also have to pay tax,having control over your own decisions is a good thing but unfortunately you have no control over what your money is worth and as shown by the facts affecting share prices and the value of the pound,you will be financially worse of if yes wins the vote.

Interest rates could rise much sooner and more sharply than that if Scotland votes the wrong way. Splitting the UK would be a game changer for investors

I thought I'd quote the post twice, since it was important enough to post twice...

I'm not sure whether to believe you two guys or this guy, a currency dealer who incidentally has made some pro uk statements previously.whistling.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pvnLwUarkU#action=share

The fall in sterling against the dollar is due to uncertainty. The speculators and investors don't like uncertainty and they sell that currency or shares in that company. Sterling was too high according to some commentators a few weeks ago.

Hey ho, its not like the sky is falling down...

Edited by TPAFKATS

it's not scaring me vambo, in fact it's perfectly normal to have borders between independent countries,so i dont know why milliband thinks it is a concern,it might concern those who dont have a passport and want to cross the border, that is about the only problem i see here

I drove from France to Belgium a few months ago and tried to find the border and couldn't. Again on the way back I couldn't find the border. Only when I noticed the language on the signs change did I know I had changed countries.

Last Tuesday I flew from Sicily to France and upon landing at Orly airport I didn't have to show my passport to a single person or pass through any security checks whatsoever.

Guest TPAFKATS

I drove from France to Belgium a few months ago and tried to find the border and couldn't. Again on the way back I couldn't find the border. Only when I noticed the language on the signs change did I know I had changed countries.

Last Tuesday I flew from Sicily to France and upon landing at Orly airport I didn't have to show my passport to a single person or pass through any security checks whatsoever.

Is there not a street that the border between germany and Netherlands runs through. I'm sure that it on paper at least runs through a building- might be one of those urban myths though? A bit like Gordon Brown saving the union...

Not checked this for factual accuracy... just read it and found it interesting.

I know the referendum is far more than party politics... but one of the biggest factors for voting YES I continually read is so that we will get the government we vote for...

with that in mind... how does this sit?

I found this very interesting, it flies in the face of the myth that we do not get the Government we vote for...... Read on......

1951 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt.

1955 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt.

1959 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt....

1964 Scotland voted Labour, however England voted Tory, we got a Labour Govt.

1966 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

Feb 1974 Scotland voted Labour, however England voted Tory, we got a Labour Govt.

Oct 1974 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

1979, 1983, 1987 & 1992 we had a Tory Govt: Thanks to the motion of No Confidence in Jim Callaghan's Labour Govt the SNP tabled. When Thatcher realised that the SNP were siding with her she then tabled her own motion for No Confidence, which took precedence of the SNP's Motion. Supported by the 11 SNP MPs her Motion of No Confidence was carried by 1 vote. The SNP are responsible for starting the Thatcher Years.

1997 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

2001 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

2005 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

2010 Nobody got the Govt they voted for - only 7 months to go to the next election.

In 1999, Labour delivered devolution and no one can argue that in 1997, 2003, 2007 and 2011 Scotland got it voted for.

I think the point that is portrayed by the yes campaign is that the Scottish vote doesn't really matter. Using the numbers on page 13 here you can see the effect that Scotland had on the outcome of each election. Basically if not a single person in Scotland bothered to vote then it mostly wouldn't have made any difference. It can be (and has been) spun both ways but with pretty much a two horse race since the war it would be pretty incredible if the UK government didn't coincide with what Scotland voted for often. Sometimes, however, we won't get what Scotland voted for and for some people, that is important.

1945 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 146

Labour majority without any Scottish MPs in Parliament: 143

NO CHANGE WITHOUT SCOTTISH MPS

1950 Labour govt (Attlee)

————————————

Labour majority: 5

Without Scottish MPs: 2

NO CHANGE

1951 Conservative govt (Churchill/Eden)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 17

Without Scottish MPs: 16

NO CHANGE

1955 Conservative govt (Eden/Macmillan)

——————————————————–

Conservative majority: 60

Without Scottish MPs: 61

NO CHANGE

1959 Conservative govt (Macmillan/Douglas-Home)

————————————————————————

Conservative majority: 100

Without Scottish MPs: 109

NO CHANGE

1964 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 4

Without Scottish MPs: -11

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY OF 1

(Con 280, Lab 274, Lib 5)

1966 Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————

Labour majority: 98

Without Scottish MPs: 77

NO CHANGE

1970 Conservative govt (Heath)

——————————————–

Conservative majority: 30

Without Scottish MPs: 55

NO CHANGE

1974 Minority Labour govt (Wilson)

————————————————

Labour majority: -33

Without Scottish MPs: -42

POSSIBLE CHANGE – LABOUR MINORITY TO CONSERVATIVE MINORITY

(Without Scots: Con 276, Lab 261, Lib 11, Others 16)

1974b Labour govt (Wilson/Callaghan)

—————————————————–

Labour majority: 3

Without Scottish MPs: -8

CHANGE: LABOUR MAJORITY TO LABOUR MINORITY

(Lab 278 Con 261 Lib 10 others 15)

1979 Conservative govt (Thatcher)

————————————————

Conservative majority: 43

Without Scottish MPs: 70

NO CHANGE

1983 Conservative govt (Thatcher)

————————————————

Conservative majority: 144

Without Scottish MPs: 174

NO CHANGE

1987 Conservative govt (Thatcher/Major)

——————————————————

Conservative majority: 102

Without Scottish MPs: 154

NO CHANGE

1992 Conservative govt (Major)

———————————————

Conservative majority: 21

Without Scottish MPs: 71

NO CHANGE

1997 Labour govt (Blair)

———————————–

Labour majority: 179

Without Scottish MPs: 139

NO CHANGE

2001 Labour govt (Blair)

———————————–

Labour majority: 167

Without Scottish MPs: 129

NO CHANGE

2005 Labour govt (Blair/Brown)

——————————————–

Labour majority: 66

Without Scottish MPs: 43

NO CHANGE

2010 Coalition govt (Cameron)

——————————————

Conservative majority: -38

Without Scottish MPs: 19

CHANGE: CON-LIB COALITION TO CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY

Is there not a street that the border between germany and Netherlands runs through. I'm sure that it on paper at least runs through a building- might be one of those urban myths though? A bit like Gordon Brown saving the union...

I think there is some town where you can stand and be in 3 countries at the same time....Netherlands, Belgium and Germany or something like that.

Guest TPAFKATS

I think there is some town where you can stand and be in 3 countries at the same time....Netherlands, Belgium and Germany or something like that.

I bet you cant move for border guards whistling.gif

Why have they been free wheeling? Does that not make you question the motivation behind their campaign?

Whilst I accept the plan has been simply to avoid a Yes and no more, have they not been caught short by failing to demonstrate their vision of a future Scotland within the UK?

Wheeling out plans for definitive further devolution after postal voters have voted is a poor show. There may very well have been some who have already voted Yes who may have reconsidered if this had been made clear a week, a month, a year or two ago...

Whilst I respect the right of the individual to make their own mind up, if I was voting No I would be thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed by the campaign that has been led to this point.

It could be that the No campaign know the Nationalist campaign is just another utter wank, like the last one was, and that the majority of voting people who live in Scotland are not interested in a yes campaign that guarantees no change other than less representation politically, less say in the direction and use of their currency and the continuation in the availability of Eastenders.

It wouldn't take much effort to defeat that, no matter how many months the Yes-men wittered on at the edges and tied wee yes posters to lamp-posts.

For what it's worth, I think it's risible that you could mock the no campaign for failing to demonstrate a future vision, whilst Eck and co are allowed to get away with "a sprinkling of fairy gold dust".

Edited by bluto

Guest TPAFKATS

Gordie Broon appears on tv tonight to tell us that if we vote no to Independence then he will give us a wee bit more Independence than we currently have.

Not sure how he can guarantee this as he's an absentee back bench MP, but I'm sure he has a plan for his timetable. I mean its not as if he was ever in a position to do it previously, you know when he was actually Prime Minister...

Ex Labour PM speaks on behalf on Tory Government to attempt to halt wishes of growing number of Scots - after up to 16% may have already voted.

Monty Python would've rejected this as a sketch due to it being too surreal.

To top it all, it was broadcast live by BBC News for almost an hour - that's some length of Party Political Broadcast.

so you went from country to country unchecked,don't see why you felt the need to quote my post,my point was that having border posts dont scare me,in fact a border post might be a good thing if people who are doing wrong or have done wrong are stopped from entering or leaving a country,and it could disrupt the trafficking of drugs etc,

Strange how this managed to escape any prime slots on the uk media, NOT .

Here is my take on the last few days on the indyref trail.... Please feel free to discuss

1. Bluff and bluster by no campaign starting to unravel big style.

2. Panic stricken no campaign promising 'a timetable for powers ' what are they? Are they labour,Tory, or libdem ones? ( note of caution to younger forum members ' google 1979 home rule promise' its true what they say if you wait long enough you see most things twice.

3. Apparently the rest of the UK didn't know we were thinking about leaving the union until today! Well it seems that way watching all the London centric media today, if there are any don't knows out there this should tell you all you need to know about how Scotland is viewed by the establishment.

4. Apparently the sky has already started to fall in as half a dozen company's shares dip by a bawhair, who would of thunk it, share prices going up and down.

5. Seeing the chance to get some air time , one time chancellor and PM who stewarded the worst financial crises in the UKs history ( and hater of stupid, ignorant woman) grabs the opportunity to market his new cologne ' desperation ' by Gordon Brown .

Think I covered everything there.

Guest TPAFKATS

so you went from country to country unchecked,don't see why you felt the need to quote my post,my point was that having border posts dont scare me,in fact a border post might be a good thing if people who are doing wrong or have done wrong are stopped from entering or leaving a country,and it could disrupt the trafficking of drugs etc,

Fair point buddiecat. Mibees one day we'll need a border crossing to stop all the economic migrants attempting to enter Scotland from the South wink.png

I've highlighted the only important word in the post wink.png

I thought I'd quote the post twice, since it was important enough to post twice...

I'm not sure whether to believe you two guys or this guy, a currency dealer who incidentally has made some pro uk statements previously.whistling.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pvnLwUarkU#action=share

The fall in sterling against the dollar is due to uncertainty. The speculators and investors don't like uncertainty and they sell that currency or shares in that company. Sterling was too high according to some commentators a few weeks ago.

Hey ho, its not like the sky is falling down...

I don't think Sterling was or is too high. Growth in the UK is good, the deficit has been falling, GDP is on the increase - the economy actually looked pretty good in the UK. Over the last 10 years we've seen Sterling hit £2 to the $ and £1.30 against the Euro. Under normal circumstances I would have expected the £ to have continued to move towards those kind of rates again but the markets always act in the same way when it comes to uncertainty. Investors don't like that - and although I've not got huge piles of savings, that's why I started to move my money to my US bank account two months ago. I did the same thing during the banking crash.

I do think UK interest rates will rise very quickly if Scotland does vote Yes. Robert Peston wrote a very simplistic piece for the BBC about it two days ago that would have worked as a guide for idiots. Someone on here may even have published the link - maybe E=MC2. Maybe for some that's just a cost worth paying, but in terms of social justice increased interest rates simply mean that those who struggle to get by day to day at the moment are going to be even more tightly squeezed, perhaps to the point where they can no longer afford their mortgage repayments, whilst the wealthy enjoy better returns on their savings.

Strange how this managed to escape any prime slots on the uk media, NOT .

Here is my take on the last few days on the indyref trail.... Please feel free to discuss

1. Bluff and bluster by no campaign starting to unravel big style.

2. Panic stricken no campaign promising 'a timetable for powers ' what are they? Are they labour,Tory, or libdem ones? ( note of caution to younger forum members ' google 1979 home rule promise' its true what they say if you wait long enough you see most things twice.

3. Apparently the rest of the UK didn't know we were thinking about leaving the union until today! Well it seems that way watching all the London centric media today, if there are any don't knows out there this should tell you all you need to know about how Scotland is viewed by the establishment.

4. Apparently the sky has already started to fall in as half a dozen company's shares dip by a bawhair, who would of thunk it, share prices going up and down.

5. Seeing the chance to get some air time , one time chancellor and PM who stewarded the worst financial crises in the UKs history ( and hater of stupid, ignorant woman) grabs the opportunity to market his new cologne ' desperation ' by Gordon Brown .

Think I covered everything there.

Except that it was clearly broadcast on the BBC :rolleyes:

It's just another city analyst giving his opinion. We get those hundreds of times a day on these 24 hour news channels. Ofcourse they aren't going to be broadcasting it on a more tightly edited show like the 6pm or 10pm news.

Fair point buddiecat. Mibees one day we'll need a border crossing to stop all the economic migrants attempting to enter Scotland from the South wink.png

possibly,but we will need to build more houses for them first as all the slave immigrant workers,which mr salmond says we will need, will have taken up most of the available accomodation

I never said they would but you have to admit to get 700,000+ immigrants in over the next year you'd have to be fairly relaxed on what you were taking in especially when you consider that in 2012/13 the net migration figures showed we only attracted 9,900 more than we lost.

It doesn't take much to expose your bullshit.

There's no challenge in it anymore.