The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest TPAFKATS

How many people in Scotland have one? blink.pngI

I've just checked, nope! tongue.png

I'm sure you'll get one online, might be sold out just now though due to an influx of orders from England and all those orangemen needing one to bring over from ulster for their walk through auld reekie at the weekend.

Guest TPAFKATS

Rennie, lamont & Davidson aka Larry, curly & moe have a press conference. Still no clearer on anything that they apparently launched. Of course devolution is reserved to Westminster so they actually don't have any power anyway...

I'm sure you'll get one online, might be sold out just now though due to an influx of orders from England and all those orangemen needing one to bring over from ulster for their walk through auld reekie at the weekend.

Aye, that's a shit, I'm in Edinburgh this weekend.

There may be trouble ahead............................

Guest TPAFKATS

Aye, that's a shit, I'm in Edinburgh this weekend.

There may be trouble ahead............................

I'm sure if you just say no thanks you'll be fine...you could sing it like the Grange hill cast did.

Or wear a sash.

Guest TPAFKATS

I've got a St Mirren flag and an Arthurlie one also. Will that dae ?

Dunno, send Ed Miliband a tweet and ask him.

Anyway, feck off to your own thread. The one that you started that's independent to this one...

Miliband urging rest of uk to fly the saltire and show how much Scotland is loved.

Not sure how many folk in England have a saltire in the cupboard...

laugh.png

As if that's needing confirmed just caught some of Radio 2 ( aye ) on the broadcast there.......all manner of Little Englanders lining up to vent their spleen and pitchfork toss the' Scotch ' MP's out of Westminster. That's the sort of rabble rousing bawz that just adds Yes vote onto Yes vote. Touchin cloth dahn souff now , no question

I am as equally appalled by the way Nationalists are treating 60 million Britons, who are being subjected to selfish brinkmanship and given no say in the matter. Even more disdain shown for the rest of the nation than anything YOU can gripe about.

Also I have already dealt with promises not worth the paper they are written on... did you not read the about sprinkled fairy dust or all the other posts about "things being ok after the vote and we'll deal with it THEN"? What is it that marks out Nationalist politics as being a breed apart? How can you so blindly trust them? Can't be because they are Jocks cos Alistair Darling and Broonie get a healthy scepticism.

Why do you allow Nationalist politicians get away with their pish?

And finally... Despite the fact that Nationalist politicians have always been too scared (like all politicians) to use the powers they already have to raise more taxes and fix problems they deem to be peculiarly Scottish, more devolved powers have always been a likelihood.... The timing is as effective as it need be. A couple of weeks before the vote... NOT a year in advance to be engulfed by spurious pish such as spouted on this forum, (though not by me, obviously).

I hate to concede that Herr Dixon deserves a medal for mindlessly responding to so much of it.

Bluto, I am not criticising you, nor am I talking up the Yes campaign.

The current Westminster Government agreed to this referendum as the SNP had a mandate with majority government in Holyrood.

Westminster agreed Scotland's future should be decided solely by those who live in Scotland and then to involve the rest of the UK in subsequent discussions.

To blame the Yes campaign for all the wrongs in the world by holding a referendum when they have majority representation in Holyrood and therefore a mandate to do so is slightly off the mark in my opinion. The electorate knew what voting SNP and Green meant prior to the last Scottish election.

My point which has not been addressed is that the BT campaign have changed their argument in response to recent opinion polls AFTER many voters have voted.

As you say they are welcome change their policies and message, but it is wrong to argue at the start of the campaign it is all or nothing and then only change your mind after people have started voting...

This for me shows the lack of cohesion and vision for a future Scotland which has hampered the No campaign and made this much more of a close run thing than many would ever have dared imagine.

Where is the positive message? Where are the lists of positives for the Union? Why are these issues not being lauded? Why was there no agreement on what additional powers were being provided well in advance of the 18th?

As for me, nothing that the BT campaign have said has convinced me in the slightest to question my view. Despite this it still angers me that this campaign has not been taken seriously until now by one side.

Put simply, I believe that Scotland will be better served by looking after it's own affairs.

Bluto, I am not criticising you, nor am I talking up the Yes campaign.

The current Westminster Government agreed to this referendum as the SNP had a mandate with majority government in Holyrood.

Westminster agreed Scotland's future should be decided solely by those who live in Scotland and then to involve the rest of the UK in subsequent discussions.

To blame the Yes campaign for all the wrongs in the world by holding a referendum when they have majority representation in Holyrood and therefore a mandate to do so is slightly off the mark in my opinion. The electorate knew what voting SNP and Green meant prior to the last Scottish election.

My point which has not been addressed is that the BT campaign have changed their argument in response to recent opinion polls AFTER many voters have voted.

As you say they are welcome change their policies and message, but it is wrong to argue at the start of the campaign it is all or nothing and then only change your mind after people have started voting...

This for me shows the lack of cohesion and vision for a future Scotland which has hampered the No campaign and made this much more of a close run thing than many would ever have dared imagine.

Where is the positive message? Where are the lists of positives for the Union? Why are these issues not being lauded? Why was there no agreement on what additional powers were being provided well in advance of the 18th?

As for me, nothing that the BT campaign have said has convinced me in the slightest to question my view. Despite this it still angers me that this campaign has not been taken seriously until now by one side.

Put simply, I believe that Scotland will be better served by looking after it's own affairs.

Hmm, that's a very good post

I predict a 55 / 45 no win

at least

I've predicted at around 65/35 No win for the whole campaign. Historically that's the split in Scotland and I don't see any reason to change that.

The newspapers have been looking to make the vote as tight as possible cause it sells more copies and I suppose it's worked but the sensible heads are back on now.

Slash:

much of what you say is true

however, that wasn't really my point

the point is that a company like standard life sell money purchase personal pensions. They also have a vast book of back business.

that business currently comes under uk wide tax and regulatory controls - which cost a fortune to administer.

independence will mean seperate tax and regulatory systems. That will heap additional costs onto a company like that and someone will need to pay.

as wrangler boy, with his simplistic world view pointed out, basically people will invest where they cam get the highest return

that, of course, is too simple, but returns is a major factor

and Scottish companies will not be able to provide the highest returns when burdened with these extra costs

add in the perceived extra risk that folk in the r of uk will have of having their money going abroad then you can see its a recipe for disaster

the falling share prices are merely the markets view of what will happen upon independence. They see companies like standard life losing business. Its inevitable.

Ooft PMQs cancelled to let them come to Scotland for a visit.

The No side must be in trouble.

Dave, Nick and the boys are going on a road trip up north to quell the rebelling savages and this has required the setting aside of the main parliamentary event of the week (according to the BBC) SO THE POTENTIAL BREAK-UP OF THE UK IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN PMQ'S TO PARLIAMENT.

Will be the red-eye up and back to the home counties in time for tea no doubt

And they wonder why their huge lead is ebbing away ?

Dave, Nick and the boys are going on a road trip up north to quell the rebelling savages and this has required the setting aside of the main parliamentary event of the week (according to the BBC) SO THE POTENTIAL BREAK-UP OF THE UK IS LESS IMPORTANT THAN PMQ'S TO PARLIAMENT.

The three of them up here is like Stu asking us all to remember what Thatcher did for us, totally counter productive.

This "archaic, chip on the shoulder" view is what holds Scotland back.

Plenty of Scottish people have made their way in the world and appreciate that this "idea" only serves to crush ambition by continually looking inward.

It's 2014, not 1930, time we moved on.

No matter what happens next week, and I still believe it will be a no vote, it's time we moved on.

Edited by faraway saint

possibly,but we will need to build more houses for them first as all the slave immigrant workers,which mr salmond says we will need, will have taken up most of the available accomodation

No we won't.

What we'll need to do first is force the sale of all the second homes from greedy bastards who own more than one house using other peoples money to buy them.

THEN we can start building again.

But Dorothy said that 700,000 people were going to move away from Scotland. There will be plenty of homes available and at knock-down prices due to the market being flooded with sellers. Who wants to buy Dorothy's house? thumbup2.gif

Fcuk it, I'm buying a few.................................thumbup2.gif

PS Don't tell Oakey, he doesn't approve. shutup.gif

i don't think Cameron was dictating but rather stating a fact.

Scotland can decide to leave on its own but to rejoin would entail a referendum of the r of uk as well. The liklihood of that happening would be zero.

If Scotland votes Yes, it will be an Independent country. Fact shocker!

whereas you r just an ignorant bastard!

lol.gif:

1eye.gif

Poor editing of my post mate and typical abuse from you. At least one of you are consistent

I struggled to understand your hostility Vambo.

<snip>

Of course you do, as there was none there!

I was merely pointing out that you were trying to con undecided voters. Jings, thats awful hostile Boab!

Edited by Vambo57

This "archaic, chip on the shoulder" view is what holds Scotland back.

Plenty of Scottish people have made their way in the world and appreciate that this "idea" only serves to crush ambition by continually looking inward.

It's 2014, not 1930, time we moved on.

No matter what happens next week, and I still believe it will be a no vote, it's time we moved on.

I agree 100% we need to move on after the result regardless but have you been to the home counties / London recently ? It's like a different world (never mind country) to up here yet we are told we are "better together". It might seem like a shoulder chip but the Tory boiz trip up north smacks totally of a last ditch attempt to get us back to toeing their party line no matter how you dress it up. A longing for the same level of investment and wealth as the home counties is hardly looking inward - it's something the vast majority of us in Scotland can only dream about (or move to if you have a spare half million for the 3 bed semi). If we had a level playing field we wouldn't be in this situation today.